R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi (25th Anniversary Edition with Blu-Ray out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the complete DVDA set....and yet the R.E.M. I like is basically covered on the Best of and Out of Time discs, those are the two I go to when I want to hear R.E.M. They were never really on my radar until "Shiny Happy People" started getting a lot of airplay.
I'll pass on the BD for now, at least.

Is there a reason why Automatic for the people got the Atmos treatment and the others are sticking with the 5.1, or is it just about cost?

I think cost, while being important, is not the main reason.

IMO, the main reason is that very few of us have Dolby Atmos implemented with, at least, 5.1.4 discrete speakers, and actually very low percentage of consumers will really appreciate any Atmos mix.

I hope, the Atmos streaming offering from Tidal and Apple would eventually force some minimum demand increase that would be followed by an offering increase.

We have to accept that we are a very tiny niche market :(

IMO, the main reason is that very few of us have Dolby Atmos implemented with, at least, 5.1.4 discrete speakers, and actually very low percentage of consumers will really appreciate any Atmos mix.

But isn't that the reason why Atmos compatibility is being touted on many traditionally non-surround capable things like sound bars and headphones. I think they realize there is not a lot of acceptance for true Atmos setups.

I hope, the Atmos streaming offering from Tidal and Apple would eventually force some minimum demand increase that would be followed by an offering increase.

We have to accept that we are a very tiny niche market :(
Niche market, yes but if Yello can release an Atmos Blu Ray than REM can.

If Tidal and Apple started making their Atmos titles also available as downloads(purchase available to customers only) then we are talking!!!!!!

Niche market, yes but if Yello can release an Atmos Blu Ray than REM can.

Of course they could.
But, Do they Want?
Or, Do they Care?
Or. Do they or the people who make business decisions are interested in new sensations?

Another reason could be the lack of "empathy" with the few Atmos fans that really enjoy with such mixes. Passion for art rather than business.

Of course they could.
But, Do they Want?
Or, Do they Care?
Or. Do they or the people who make business decisions are interested in new sensations?

Another reason could be the lack of "empathy" with the few Atmos fans that really enjoy with such mixes. Passion for art rather than business.

Yep I agree with your sentiments. Atmos music is not big business, it is about the art, not the profit, thus not everyone is interested. That being said there are some artists that could actually make money on it, one example would be Led Zeppelin, who if issues Atmos Blu Rays(limited edition for $50) would sell enough to make profits.

I would love to do some ATmos mixes but Dolby do not make it easy for us.

I would think if Michael Marquart also known as "A Bad Think" can release in Atmos and have Bob Clearmountain do the 5.1 then surely the big labels are paying attention? Oh, wait I was trying to infuse the recording industry at large with good will to make we surround enthusiasts happy. Go figure. My bad.
I do believe that surround is not going to go away quietly. Soord, Wilson etc are the new faces of surround I have to believe will perservere. And surround increasingly means Atmos, methinks.
I want to hang around long enough to see it thrive and push past the disaster that Quad became. If we could just get those darn electronics/speaker prices down....nah, there I go again.

The only album they've ever done in surround is their newest, Gigaton. It was mixed in Atmos and is available on Apple Music.
Ah - I see.
Holy fuck when did that happen????
Oh, you crazy kids with your technology!
Being elderly, I was referring to physical media…but I have a feeling I will be sucked into the Apple TV multiverse at some point 🍎
P.S. - I do have the DVD of their Unplugged appearance which is in surround, and is really great all the way around 👍🏼

I would LOVE any and all Pearl Jam Atmos mixes on physical media. But in the meantime I am beside myself with two new albums from my favorite band in Atmos. Overall they sound amazing.

Back