Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (5.1/Dolby Audio?/UHD & 360 Reality Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alansanchez86

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Pink Floyd’s A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - Remixed & Updated will be released on 29 October 2021. The album will be available on double 180g heavyweight vinyl (cut at 45rpm for enhanced sound quality), CD, CD & DVD, CD & Blu-ray and digitally with Stereo and 5.1 mixes. In addition, for the first time, and from 19 October 2021, the album will be presented in Dolby Audio and UHD in addition to 360 Reality Audio, all of which will continue with other Pink Floyd releases. 360 Reality Audio is a new immersive music experience that closely mimics the omni-directional soundscape of live musical performance for the listener using Sony’s object-based 360 Spatial Sound technologies.
The release of ‘The Later Years’ project in 2019 gave an opportunity for a fresh overview of the ‘A Momentary Lapse Of Reason’ album, originally released in 1987. By returning to some of Richard Wright's original keyboard takes, and by re-recording new drum tracks with Nick Mason, producers David Gilmour and Bob Ezrin have restored a better creative balance between the three Pink Floyd members.
David Gilmour said: “Some years after we had recorded the album, we came to the conclusion that we should update it to make it more timeless, featuring more of the traditional instruments that we liked and that we were more used to playing. This was something we thought it would benefit from. We also looked for and found some previously unused keyboard parts of Rick’s which helped us to come up with a new vibe, a new feeling for the album”.
Nick Mason added: “There’s little doubt of the advantages in being able to find new elements within the music, or more often uncovering elements that became overwhelmed with all that new science…I think there is an element of taking the album back in time and taking the opportunity to create a slightly more open sound - utilising some of the things we had learned from playing so much of the album live over two massive tours. It was also nice to have an opportunity to enhance some of Rick’s work. Again, that positive tidal wave of technology just might have provided too many digital opportunities to overwhelm the band feel. Hopefully that’s one of the benefits of this remix!”
The remixed and updated ‘A Momentary Lapse Of Reason’ album also features a new album cover using an alternative beds photo by Robert Dowling from the original album cover shoot directed by the late Storm Thorgerson. Echoing the iconic original sleeve the 2021 album artwork is designed and art directed by Aubrey Powell/Hipgnosis and Peter Curzon/StormStudios.
A special version of the video for Learning To Fly is available with Sony 360RA immersive audio: if you watch the new video on Pink Floyd's YouTube channel with headphones you experience simulated 360RA sound.

https://pinkfloyd.lnk.to/AMomentary...b_tmgUVg8xmjmI1R87xKB7TZpdJqFnftnj3lBJoGGVdqI

For today, I am at the conclusion this is the same release as the 2019 big box set.

This information below is exactly the same information as the 2019 box set. Also 360 surround is not Dolby Atmos.
The release of ‘The Later Years’ project in 2019 gave an opportunity for a fresh overview of the ‘A Momentary Lapse Of Reason’ album, originally released in 1987. By returning to some of Richard Wright's original keyboard takes, and by re-recording new drum tracks with Nick Mason, producers David Gilmour and Bob Ezrin have restored a better creative balance between the three Pink Floyd members.
David Gilmour said: “Some years after we had recorded the album, we came to the conclusion that we should update it to make it more timeless, featuring more of the traditional instruments that we liked and that we were more used to playing. This was something we thought it would benefit from. We also looked for and found some previously unused keyboard parts of Rick’s which helped us to come up with a new vibe, a new feeling for the album”.
Nick Mason added: “There’s little doubt of the advantages in being able to find new elements within the music, or more often uncovering elements that became overwhelmed with all that new science…I think there is an element of taking the album back in time and taking the opportunity to create a slightly more open sound - utilising some of the things we had learned from playing so much of the album live over two massive tours. It was also nice to have an opportunity to enhance some of Rick’s work. Again, that positive tidal wave of technology just might have provided too many digital opportunities to overwhelm the band feel. Hopefully that’s one of the benefits of this remix!”

This sounded like ass on hi-quality earbuds via the YouTube app on my iPhone:

Not sure how much to attribute to the new mix, the 360RA processing, YouTube, my phone, etc. Still... 😕

For today, I am at the conclusion this is the same release as the 2019 big box set.

This information below is exactly the same information as the 2019 box set. Also 360 surround is not Dolby Atmos.
Yes, I understand that 360 is Sony's baby, but the initial question was whether Dolby Audio means Dolby Atmos? but it was already cleared that it could be anything (dolby digital?). Let keep our eyes and ears peeled.

I’ve just had a listen to both versions of LTF on YouTube first this new 360° fake surround one and then the standard stereo. This 360° mix is crap compared to the stereo it’s muddy as heck and just sounds like it was playing inside a 5 gallon bucket to me. Thanks but no thanks.

Edit: I’d posted this on the later years thread before I saw this thread.

Check the poll thread for this release. It's not very spectacular, IIRC. I don't think I've listened to it at all since it came out, and I actually like most of that album

Refreshing my memory of this 12/15/19 release. The Later Years Box Set. This is the AMLOR 5.1 DTS-HD MSTR 24/96 Blu Ray. DR's are 7, 11's, 12's, 13's, 14. The star of this box set was Delicate Sound Of Thunder in 5.1.
Listening again it sounds better than before as I am in a new room with a new sound system, however, still has some fidelity issues and good moments in surround but not great moments.
EDIT: After listening to all today the great moments in surround are the non music, dogs, sounds, waves, etc, the overall music is also fairly good, what makes it, not come together is David Gilmore's vocals at front, not good at all, recessed and muddy. If they could clean that up it would be pretty good.

Check the poll thread for this release. It's not very spectacular, IIRC. I don't think I've listened to it at all since it came out, and I actually like most of that album
I remember you found it disappointing. But, there are those of us for whom it sounds just fine! Systems, ears, expectations, comparisons, etc.
:SB

Back