Japan Sony To Release "Birds Of Fire" from Mahavishnu Orchestra/John Mclaughlin on Multichannel Hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has that been confirmed (consensus) on the channel misassignment (via Q8 maybe?) That would explain the Z pattern though right? On the Poll thread, someone believes it's the fronts that are swapped IINM.

Yes, someone on another thread confirmed that the front channels are correct (i.e., match the original stereo mix) and the drums make a circle on 'One Word' on the original Q8 release. Indicating that AF f*cked up.

Ordered, got the AF version but I do like the 7inch Sony releases they are very cool. And hey it is considerably cheaper than all of the previous 7inchers $31 vs the $40 to $50 of all the rest :unsure: could it be a trend for future releases (y)

For $31 I ordered the SACD, even though this is not one of my favorites, and I have the AF SACD in my AF pile. But I have this disease that causes me to buy everything in a series, and since I have all of the others, I can't help myself.

Good thing it's not a box set!

For $31 I ordered the SACD, even though this is not one of my favorites, and I have the AF SACD in my AF pile. But I have this disease that causes me to buy everything in a series, and since I have all of the others, I can't help myself.

I think your DISEASE is spreading ...... I also own the AF QUAD SACD but those SONY Japan QUAD SACDs in that special 7" packaging are so PURTY...who can resist!

And you don't have to pay extra for vinyl!

Unless there's free shipping, would be more like $45, for me.

Lately, ImportCD's prices on Japanese and even those Hong Kong Stereo SACD imports have been on par wiith CDJapan .......in fact, those Hong Kong Stereo SACDs are $10 less than Elusive Disc and/or Acoustic Sounds. Be a bit patient.....they will stock it!

Lately, ImportCD's prices on Japanese and even those Hong Kong Stereo SACD imports have been on par wiith CDJapan .......in fact, those Hong Kong Stereo SACDs are $10 less than Elusive Disc and/or Acoustic Sounds. Be a bit patient.....they will stock it!
Waiting for word on the channel assignments too...

The CDJapan description says remastered in 2021. Im betting there wont be a channel error. Upon confirmation of this Ill be happy to buy a copy and offload my AF version. Unless the tapes are remastered backwards.....:unsure: See No Pussyfooting for an example.

The CDJapan description says remastered in 2021. Im betting there wont be a channel error. Upon confirmation of this Ill be happy to buy a copy and offload my AF version. Unless the tapes are remastered backwards.....:unsure: See No Pussyfooting for an example.

Agree, Jeffie. In my experience, the SONY JAPAN remastered SACDS are DEFINITIVE versions. Too bad Audio Fidelity got riddled with so many faux pas master tapes ........ expecially at the outrageous licensing/royalty fees they were charged by the majors!

Agree, Jeffie. In my experience, the SONY JAPAN remastered SACDS are DEFINITIVE versions. Too bad Audio Fidelity got riddled with so many faux pas master tapes ........ expecially at the outrageous licensing/royalty fees they were charged by the majors!

The problem actually lies with AF's decision not to master the quad layer of their SACDs, except for in a handful of instances. A kind of orthodoxy seems to have sprung up from the Hoffman forums that says "flat transfers are the best!" and while I'd take a flat transfer over an overly-compressed / smiley-face EQed mastering, flat transfers have their own issues (which most of the AF discs exhibit) from a flat and lifeless sound (Loggins & Messina self-titled, the two Earth Wind & Fire discs) to downright muddy (Guess Who greatest hits) to channel assignment errors (Birds of Fire, and about half the tracks on the 'The Collection' V/A disc).

I have the AF version of Birds of Fire but I'd gladly re-buy this version as the Sony Japan masterings are considerably better than earlier-issued versions, from Abraxas and Beck, Bogert & Appice (compared to the DTS CDs) to the Jeff Beck Group 'orange album' (compared to the AF SACD). Aside from the channel-assignment error on the AF BoF, it also exhibits some of that lifeless sound (especially in Cobham's drums, which have almost no punch) and I hope/expect the Sony Japan mastering will remedy much of this.

Back