What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All
A bit of a back log been bizzy.
BBQ...
-
( Haishan Record SQ - LS-4003 -Yang Xiao Ping Lotus)-
( Haishan Record SQ - LS-4028 -Chen Lan Li Sprinkle )-
( Haishan Record SQ - LS-4013 -Yu Yar I dont know I love You )-
( Haishan Record SQ - LS-4034 -Yao Surong chinese Classical Song III )-
( Eurodisc. SQ - 25065 KK -Chopin Klavierkonzert Nr.1 )-
( Eurodisc. SQ - 27318 KK -Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Violinkonzert in G Kv 216 Concertone in C KV190 )-
( Harmonia Mundi. SQ - 1C 065-99 629 Q -Beethoven Eroica )-
( King Record. RM=QS - 4K 39 -Holiday in China )-
( Toshiba. Pro -Use Series QS -LF-91006 -Yomi-Kyo Pops III )-
( Toshiba. Pro -Use Series QS -LF-91013 -Yomi-Kyo Pops V :Factory Sealed New )-
( Toshiba. Pro -Use Series QS -LF-91014 -Yomi-Kyo Pops VI )-
( Toshiba. Pro -Use Series QS -LF-91011 -Yomi-Kyo Pops IV )-
( Toshiba. Pro -Use Series QS -LF-91001 -Yomi-Kyo Pops )-

IMG_20210903_124239.jpg
IMG_20210903_124252.jpg

IMG_20210903_124329.jpg
IMG_20210903_124358.jpg

IMG_20210903_124502.jpg
IMG_20210903_124516.jpg

IMG_20210903_124549.jpg
IMG_20210903_124627.jpg

IMG_20210903_124715.jpg
IMG_20210903_124731.jpg

IMG_20210903_124806.jpg
IMG_20210903_124834.jpg

IMG_20210903_125103.jpg
IMG_20210903_125115.jpg

IMG_20210903_125144.jpg
IMG_20210903_125216.jpg

Last edited:
And yet on a variety of Sony cd's the SQ emblem is quite prevalent , and likewise and more importantly so do ALL of the latest Sony multichannel quad SACD'S.
So you see , forgive me but I find your statement rather puzzling .:)unsure: )

Fwiw , Sony doesn't seem to have any difficulty with SQ reissues . Both cd and SACD.

The last known SQ encoded recording was back in approximately 1985 with the Buddy Rich-King St. set , also the last known SQ decoders were released by Aphex in 85, 86 , and I believe 87.

Personally , I think it's now in the public domain and if not , well then WHO do you think owns the rights to use both the SQ encode and the SQ matrix emblems ??

:love:
As to seeing a complete list of Sony SQ titles , on cd , I too would love to see that quad listing as I'm sure most of us on QQ would concur .
CBS sold the patents for SQ to Tate-Reber. You may be right about the patents ex]iring, and the system is now PD. The Buddy Rich CD you mentioned clearly states it's encoded in Tate SQ.

Good plan , Brett .

I myself would be curious as to know if any CD 's with the respective Japanese encoded quad matrix are intact , and are available. Many of their quad matrix albums were "single inventory" , (initially).
BTW King Records were one of the larger quad record promotors In Japan . Plenty of their records from the 70's were "RM" encoded , so they were one of the "Biggies" .

Most of these Matrix Encoded Japanese labels had artists from North American and European Countries as well as Asian.

I have some listings As of 1975 , and of course they continued in quad releases for a few more years yet . Some that had a good number of quad recordings ;
Such as King with 80 quad records , Teichiku with 50 + , Toho with 70 + , Toshiba with 70 + , and Crown with 30 +.
*Sony with maybe 100 + , (probably 200 + with CBS).
These would be the big ones I think .

(* with Sony I'm taking an educated guess as I don't have their SQ listings .)

It's Worth noting that Crown Records (as at 1975) had 3 or 4 quad records from Sam Taylor the U.S Bluesman and one by Xavier Cugat . These are exclusives and highly collectable Imho.

Now its important also to know that those other Japanese labels have their exclusive and highly collectable quads as well .

Anyways enjoy your sleuthing . 👀🥢🏯
Fascinating. The more one digs the more fun stuff one discovers. I wasn’t aware King Records was one of the biggies.

So basically, I need to ask King Records whether or not their “encoded quad matrix are intact” and available for being released on an SACD… rather than asking them whether or not their Quad master tapes are available for remastering. Is this correct? (Sorry if this is a stupid question.)

Fascinating. The more one digs the more fun stuff one discovers. I wasn’t aware King Records was one of the biggies.

So basically, I need to ask King Records whether or not their “encoded quad matrix are intact” and available for being released on an SACD… rather than asking them whether or not their Quad master tapes are available for remastering. Is this correct? (Sorry if this is a stupid question.)

please ask them if they have any Quad tapes? 🙏

Hi. Lute

I am green with envy you living in Japan "this damn pandemic" I buy a lot of my Quad material form Japan as you may of found looking through these threads
some of the mid 70 music instrumental groups are realy great its all down to your tast in music. Yes it would be great to see if you can get a contact in King Records to see iff they still have a catalog of Quad masters and even a list iff they had one off there entire Quad inventory.
Good luck BBQ...

Hi. Lute

I am green with envy you living in Japan "this damn pandemic" I buy a lot of my Quad material form Japan as you may of found looking through these threads
some of the mid 70 music instrumental groups are realy great its all down to your tast in music. Yes it would be great to see if you can get a contact in King Records to see iff they still have a catalog of Quad masters and even a list iff they had one off there entire Quad inventory.
Good luck BBQ...
Hi Bill

I tend to gravitate to Classical music. And since there are thousands of modern Hirez surround recordings of Classical music, I’ve been preoccupied with them. But I listen to pretty much everything. And I love discrete Quad. It is funny. When I hear that a certain album has a great surround mix, I eagerly try and get it...no matter what it is. LOL!! This has opened me up to a lot of music that I would not normally listen to.

Dutton-Vocalion and Sony’s remastered Quad albums on SACDs have been outstanding. It might be wishful thinking but it would be cool if King Records followed suit. I will go over and enquire about it when I get a chance.

Correct. And what if anything are they doing with their Quad MasterTapes , both Q4 discreet , and Matrix encoded ?? Are any being used to make encoded CD's or...... reissued on new vinyl pressings , encode intact ?
And are any being used for HI-REZ recordings like SACD , stereo or multi, same goes for DVD-A and Blu-ray .

Yep , I suppose you have to feel them out to ask those questions tactfully , so they don't think your some kinda nut house escapee (like me).

And have fun , I'm sure they will respect your enthusiasm.
Afterall you are the customer they should want to impress .

Enjoy your mission Agent Lute of "QQ SLEUTH DETECTIVE AGENCY" . 😎

(Nick Danger would be proud)

CBS sold the patents for SQ to Tate-Reber. You may be right about the patents ex]iring, and the system is now PD. The Buddy Rich CD you mentioned clearly states it's encoded in Tate SQ.

Yep ! Tate on CD , Beta , and VHS , and also on my 4.0 DVD with Ken Rasek Encoding .

But since then Sony has been using the SQ emblem and reissued SQ albums on CD . :)

Correct. And what if anything are they doing with their Quad MasterTapes , both Q4 discreet , and Matrix encoded ?? Are any being used to make encoded CD's or...... reissued on new vinyl pressings , encode intact ?
And are any being used for HI-REZ recordings like SACD , stereo or multi, same goes for DVD-A and Blu-ray .

Yep , I suppose you have to feel them out to ask those questions tactfully , so they don't think your some kinda nut house escapee (like me).

And have fun , I'm sure they will respect your enthusiasm.
Afterall you are the customer they should want to impress .

Enjoy your mission Agent Lute of "QQ SLEUTH DETECTIVE AGENCY" . 😎

(Nick Danger would be proud)
Thanks for the extra tidbits of information. I agree one has to be respectful but ready to ask a variety of questions to get information. Staff at these companies might not know much to begin with. Or they might be a little reluctant to check and give out information. This is especially true here in Japan where young, low-ranking employees just stick to the manual and give only general information about company policy. But you never know, sometimes you time it right and catch an older employee who (as you say) appreciates someone’s enthusiasm for their product and generously talks about what they have and are able to do.

Thanks for the extra tidbits of information. I agree one has to be respectful but ready to ask a variety of questions to get information. Staff at these companies might not know much to begin with. Or they might be a little reluctant to check and give out information. This is especially true here in Japan where young, low-ranking employees just stick to the manual and give only general information about company policy. But you never know, sometimes you time it right and catch an older employee who (as you say) appreciates someone’s enthusiasm for their product and generously talks about what they have and are able to do.
The hierarchy is interesting. We had some Japanese Professors & students visit when I was a student doing research, they came in to the lab (in order of 'rank' as it turned out). I heard a Prof say something in perfect English so I asked him a question, he just looked at me, looked to the student at the end of the line and said something, the student in poor English asked me to repeat, then passed the question up in Japanese and the answer back to me!

The hierarchy is interesting. We had some Japanese Professors & students visit when I was a student doing research, they came in to the lab (in order of 'rank' as it turned out). I heard a Prof say something in perfect English so I asked him a question, he just looked at me, looked to the student at the end of the line and said something, the student in poor English asked me to repeat, then passed the question up in Japanese and the answer back to me!
It has gotten more relaxed these days in corporate Japan, but I love this scene from Tampopo (1985)

It has gotten more relaxed these days in corporate Japan, but I love this scene from Tampopo (1985)

Oh man, Tampopo is one of those movies I had totally forgotten about over the years. I have only seen a few parts of it. I see it is available on VUDU. So I am motivated to get a good bottle of sake this weekend & enjoy both together!

Edit: I see that it is also available from Criterion in 4K video! No idea of audio.

Last edited:
Yep ! Tate on CD , Beta , and VHS , and also on my 4.0 DVD with Ken Rasek Encoding .

But since then Sony has been using the SQ emblem and reissued SQ albums on CD . :)
But some if not all of them are actually the stereo mix and are brickwalled and so sound terrible. I have a couple of them, off the top of my head I think that "Chase" was one of them. I'll dig them out and give them another listen and report back. I don't understand why Sony would use the SQ logo on a stereo release? I also don't understand why releases from a country that used to pride itself on quality would put out such brickwalled garbage! Maybe it actually was the SQ mix but the processing done to the disc audio has totally ruined the encoding?

Back