Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just going off the Amazon listing, which says PAL.

JJ, I have quite a few of those Arrow/StudioCanal UHD4K discs and not only are they exceptionally rendered but play fine in my OPPO 205 player. Some of the BD~Vs in the sets are region B so you do have to have a multi region BD player to access the content.

And since when has Amazon ever been accurate with their descriptions?

Last edited:
Highdefdigest's Highly Recommended Review of David Lynch's DUNE [Native UHD4K/HDR10/Dolby Vision/DTS HD MA 5.1]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/95865/dunelimitededition4kultrahdbluray.html

dune-4k-slip.jpg

Last edited:
As a note, Andy Warhol's FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN will be available soon from Severin Films in UHD4K and from the 3D Archive in 1080p 3D

R.c3a60861a340f3c3f8efbd3156ca6335

Last edited:
Now here's a very unexpected release from German reissue label Turbine Media Group ..... ALL 110 Episodes in 1080p [1.33:1] of the 90's TV sensation Northern Exposure on 14 BD~50 discs + a bonus disc. What differentiates this from the domestic DVDs is the use of ALL the original music cues which originally graced the series and not substitute music. All episodes are in German and English and according to the website are DTS 2.0 and ALL discs are REGION FREE!

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/98502/northernexposurecompleteseries.html
Northern Exposure Blu-ray - Turbine Media Group

https://turbine-shop.de/detail/index/sArticle/26171

Last edited:
Now here's a very unexpected release from German reissue label Turbine Media Group ..... ALL 110 Episodes in 1080p [1.33:1] of the 90's TV sensation Northern Exposure on 14 BD~50 discs + a bonus disc. What differentiates this from the domestic DVDs is the use of ALL the original music cues which originally graced the series and not substitute music. All episodes are in German and English and according to the website are DTS 2.0 and ALL discs are REGION FREE!

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/98502/northernexposurecompleteseries.html
Northern Exposure Blu-ray - Turbine Media Group

https://turbine-shop.de/detail/index/sArticle/26171
I have the Region B English release with original music. Audio is Dolby Digital 2.0 but good enough. I'm alternating these with X-Files seasons at the moment. Two of the best shows from the 90's (the other 2 are Twin Peaks and My So-Called Life)!

I have the Region B English release with original music. Audio is Dolby Digital 2.0 but good enough. I'm alternating these with X-Files seasons at the moment. Two of the best shows from the 90's (the other 2 are Twin Peaks and My So-Called Life)!

Sounds SO tempting! I'm hemming and hawing about purchasing the massive 20 disc/3 BD~A/V Van der Graaf Generator Charisma Years boxset, but for WAY less, 15 BD~Vs remastered and with the original music cues of a classic TV series, IMO, wins out! The review did state DD 2.0 but I wonder why the actual Turbine Media website stated DTS 2.0! Hmmmm! BTW, how is the video quality?

BTW, a fascinating read from WIPIPEDIA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure

Last edited:
I ordered it. Ship to the US. About $116.00

Just placed my order for Northern Exposure as well.

Fun Fact: When Season 1 of Northern Exposure was released domestically on DVD, the list price was $60!!!! The prohibitive price prompted Universal to release subsequent seasons with substituted 'elevator musak' because of the prohibitive licensing music fees incurred in Season 1, which DID contain the original music cues.

Sounds SO tempting! I'm hemming and hawing about purchasing the massive 20 disc/3 BD~A/V Van der Graaf Generator Charisma Years boxset, but for WAY less, 15 BD~Vs remastered and with the original music cues of a classic TV series, IMO, wins out! The review did state DD 2.0 but I wonder why the actual Turbine Media website stated DTS 2.0! Hmmmm! BTW, how is the video quality?

BTW, a fascinating read from WIPIPEDIA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure
Video quality is fine. It's probably never looked this good so you won't have any problems there.

The only point of note is that some (just a few) scenes have audio sync problems where the sound isn't completely perfectly in time with the picture. There aren't many though (I'm up to Season 4 and have only struck a handful) so it's not a show-stopper.

I've experienced this a few times with other discs and switching everything off and then on again fixes it, so those occurrences are probably due to some connectivity sync problem. Doing the reboot doesn't fix these Northern Exposure sync issues though - they're on the disc itself.

The good news is that they appear to be confined to just the scene when you notice them. When there's a cut and a new scene follows, the audio is back in sync.

While audio sync problems drive me nuts, they're pretty minor on this set and I like the series enough to be able to overlook it.

Video quality is fine. It's probably never looked this good so you won't have any problems there.

The only point of note is that some (just a few) scenes have audio sync problems where the sound isn't completely perfectly in time with the picture. There aren't many though (I'm up to Season 4 and have only struck a handful) so it's not a show-stopper.

I've experienced this a few times with other discs and switching everything off and then on again fixes it, so those occurrences are probably due to some connectivity sync problem. Doing the reboot doesn't fix these Northern Exposure sync issues though - they're on the disc itself.

The good news is that they appear to be confined to just the scene when you notice them. When there's a cut and a new scene follows, the audio is back in sync.

While audio sync problems drive me nuts, they're pretty minor on this set and I like the series enough to be able to overlook it.

I've had similar sync issues with other films on my OPPO 205 and if you pause, wait a few seconds and usually restart the issues go away. As you stated, probably an HDMI 'handshake' issue.

I'm sure the visuals are great. Back in the 90's especially on American NTSC TV, the resolution was 480p! And I do believe Northern Exposure was shot on 35mm film.

Am looking forward to this set. As I said: A VERY nice surprise!

I hope there's an NTSC version coming...

Curious question. I had hoped with 4kUHD that the NTSC v PAL issue would finally be put to rest.

25Hz 1080 or UHD is not PAL. These will play perfectly on any modern flat panel HD/4K TV. They sync to all the standard rates from 23.97 to 60Hz (although some can’t do 60Hz), but all can do NTSC and PAL rates that come on 4K UHD and Bluray.

25Hz 1080 or UHD is not PAL. These will play perfectly on any modern flat panel HD/4K TV. They sync to all the standard rates from 23.97 to 60Hz (although some can’t do 60Hz), but all can do NTSC and PAL rates that come on 4K UHD and Bluray.
Semantics. If it's 25 FPS, it's playing slightly too fast, as it would have been 24/23.97 FPS originally. Additionally, aside from the most recent TVs with HDMI 2.1 and VRR (variable refresh rate), the panels won't actually change refresh rate to match a source. Playing 25 FPS will require pulldown and introduce judder on any 60Hz-binary-multiple-based monitor.

Back