Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "DVD Audio" label on these is peculiar. These VdGG are authored like true DVD-A...there is an AUDIO TS folder. But it's empty. Yes, 6ch LPCM takes up a lot of space. But that's what the "M" in MLPCM is for -- meridian lossless compression. However, that means you'd need a DVD-A player (i.e, with MLP decoder) to play it.

There have been actual DVD-As that use LPCM rather than MLPCM-- the ones I have are all old 'classical' quad mixes rendered as 4.0 LPCM (e.g. Messaien Turangalila on EMI). They have no video content and 4 channels take up less space than 6.

A DVDA release is 'required' by spec to include a lossy version...I'm not sure spec requires a lossless multichannel version! Apparently not.

NB. Just noting the peculiarity. I expect zero audible difference from a lossless version vs this.

Last edited:
Got my box as well, and I'm very happy with it. Listened to H to He, and Pawn Hearts in 5.1 so far and love what I heard! Looking forward to some reviews.
Nice review in PROG Magazine!!
ProgVdGGReview.jpg

I have listened to "Pawn Hearts" and "Still Life". I thought the surround was decent on both but I thought Pawn Hearts was the better experience and a more aggressive mix. Never having listened to VdGG before, I still find the bigger challenge embracing the actual music/content. I have a hard time with the vocals,,,, I just don't like his voice. I like most of the music although I wish it got heavier (you know head-bangy :)).

I'm getting really annoyed with FedEx and the status of my box set. They've had it for 9 days now and STILL can't give me a date for delivery. Pathetic service. The Stephen Tayler set the was shipped from the Shed by regular airmail 1 day before they shipped the box set "express" arrived days ago.

Well, some movement. It scanned in Boston, then in Memphis...but....despite that...STILL no delivery date. They want a signature but can't tell me when it may be here even though they've had it for 12 days now. What a farce...and I'll be fully expecting them to reverse the almost $60 I paid for getting this set to me promptly and securely.

The "DVD Audio" label on these is peculiar. These VdGG are authored like true DVD-A...there is an AUDIO TS folder. But it's empty.
There are plenty of discs with empty AUDIO_TS folders. That doesn't make them DVD-As. Unless there's data in there, it's just a regular old DVD-V. The "DVD Audio" logo has been tossed about rather carelessly by labels in recent times.

I am ripping now my 4 discs. Not familiar with the music, I have decided to rip the 5.1 and the New Stereo Remix of the four Blu Rays.
My question:
Is it worthwhile to rip the Orginal Mix from the Blu Ray?
There are Bonus Tracks on the CD's, any good reason for ripping those?

I am ripping now my 4 discs. Not familiar with the music, I have decided to rip the 5.1 and the New Stereo Remix of the four Blu Rays.
My question:
My philosophy is, storage is now relatively cheap (especially for 16/44.1 CD tracks). Rip it all. Have a listen. Keep what you want.

My philosophy is, storage is now relatively cheap (especially for 16/44.1 CD tracks). Rip it all. Have a listen. Keep what you want.
I know, I have 8.2 TB of storage used in a 15.7 NAS, I just get lazy especially on stuff that I am unfimiliar with, now Hendrix or someone I rip it all.
BTW listening now to the 5.1 of H to He Who am the Only One. Pretty good, I like the surround mix, best if the volume is punched up a bit, fidelity is a little rough. I hear King Crimson and Yes, with horns.

My question:
Yes, storage is relatively cheap. I also rip all, especially from expensive box sets, and I am obsessed with disc failure. When I am at home, I listen to the hi-res using NUC>Kodi, on mobile, I listen to the CD in Alac format. So I would rip the entire box set, but that's me!

So I tried to order one of the CD/DVDs on Amazon and was told by the seller that it was Region 2 only, so the order was cancelled. Are all these releases just for the European market? My Oppo is not an all-region player.

So I tried to order one of the CD/DVDs on Amazon and was told by the seller that it was Region 2 only, so the order was cancelled. Are all these releases just for the European market? My Oppo is not an all-region player.
They are European releases but they play fine on my Region 1 Sony blu-ray player.
I ordered mine through Burning Shed (each disc was $20 cheaper than on Amazon). Nowhere on the packaging can I find any Region 2 designation (even though they probably are since they were made in Europe). Regardless, as I said, they play fine on my Sony which is not an all-region player.

The Blu-rays in the Box are Region Free, and I believe the DVDs are as well as it is a world wide re-release. From what people have posted those of you in the USA have had no issues.
Like marpow Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2 | Page 1916 | QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum

Amazon erroneously lists audio DVDs and Blu-Rays as region-specific with depressing regularity. These are all region-free.

AS an experiment based on stuff people are saying I took Godbluff and tried all the ways I can view at home.

1. I ripped via DVDAE. Start of rip selection, DVDAE shows choices of surround 5.1 as 24/28. But after ripped they come up as 24/96. I do not have education to say why.
All the stereo rips offered are 24/96 and come up as 24/96.
2. Played hard disc in my Panasonic Blu Ray player. Opens up as a DVD-Video and selections are 24/96. I selected the 5.1 and plays as DTS 96/24 from my Pre/Pro.
3. Played from my Sony SACD/DVD player. Lists as DVD-Video. Results for playback exactly the same as the Panasonic Blu Ray player. The video slightly better with the Panasonic. Audio same on both players and rip.

From my end I have zero issues, just wondering why DVDAE shows the 5.1 rip as 24/48 but comes out as 24/96?

AS an experiment based on stuff people are saying I took Godbluff and tried all the ways I can view at home.

1. I ripped via DVDAE. Start of rip selection, DVDAE shows choices of surround 5.1 as 24/28. But after ripped they come up as 24/96. I do not have education to say why.
All the stereo rips offered are 24/96 and come up as 24/96.
2. Played hard disc in my Panasonic Blu Ray player. Opens up as a DVD-Video and selections are 24/96. I selected the 5.1 and plays as DTS 96/24 from my Pre/Pro.
3. Played from my Sony SACD/DVD player. Lists as DVD-Video. Results for playback exactly the same as the Panasonic Blu Ray player. The video slightly better with the Panasonic. Audio same on both players and rip.

From my end I have zero issues, just wondering why DVDAE shows the 5.1 rip as 24/48 but comes out as 24/96?
Once upon a time DVDAE could only decode the DTS core (24/48). The capability was updated to include the DTS extension (24/96). But for some reason that change is not reflected in the GUI.

Yeah Amazon UK will warn ya on that and that mainly applies to regular movie dvds and blurays, but most, if not all of these dvd or bluray music releases are universal so they will play anywhere. The seller was probably thinking oh American ordering UK dvd and he will have to refund if sent. So yeah......

Order to your hearts content :LB :LB :LB

Back