Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing my first full listen of the 5.1 Fugazi. I ripped from the Blu Ray, the 5.1, 2.0 with extra tracks and the Live Montreal.
All are 24/96 except for the 7 Extra Tracks are 16/48.
DR's on the 5.1 Blu Ray DTS HD Mstr are 12, 13's, 14.
Good music, different than other Marillion's, more smooth. 5.1 mix is good, mellow to listen to.

I'm Not familiar with VDGG , can you please name a prog rock comparison or comparisons ?:unsure:

I'd very much appreciate it. :giggle:

-fizzy

I'd equate their music with an alien landing, Fizzy :alien:

R.fe79cf3521d6ea5791144c5a5c141866

VDGG: WE'VE COME BEARING REECE PIECES!

Last edited:
I'm Not familiar with VDGG , can you please name a prog rock comparison or comparisons ?:unsure:

I'd very much appreciate it. :giggle:

-fizzy
That is a really difficult comparison to try to do! There aren't any bands really like them. They can take a while to get 'used' to, but it is worth it.

If you have ever heard VDDG's Theme One, the rest of their music is not like it at all! Very English, very early-mid 70s prog, quirky, with a jazz influence in places, can be gloomy, can be uplifting, quite 'intense'. The nearest I can come to them is a sort of Caravan meets Soft Machine meets Hatfield And The North, with a strong element of singer-songwriter poetry. I never really got into them until I was into my early 20s, then something clicked, I think my musical tastes broadened a bit more and I added them to my already rather eclectic collection.

One of the Guys on my Uni course was fanatical about VDDG, and I mean fanatical, I'm not sure he ever listened to anything but! Before the end of the first year he'd vanished and joined the Moonies (a very dodgy religious sect), at the beginning of our final year he reappeared begging us to hide him from the Moonies :eek: we had to chase sect members out of our main Uni building!

That is a really difficult comparison to try to do! There aren't any bands really like them. They can take a while to get 'used' to, but it is worth it.

If you have ever heard VDDG's Theme One, the rest of their music is not like it at all! Very English, very early-mid 70s prog, quirky, with a jazz influence in places, can be gloomy, can be uplifting, quite 'intense'. The nearest I can come to them is a sort of Caravan meets Soft Machine meets Hatfield And The North, with a strong element of singer-songwriter poetry. I never really got into them until I was into my early 20s, then something clicked, I think my musical tastes broadened a bit more and I added them to my already rather eclectic collection.

One of the Guys on my Uni course was fanatical about VDDG, and I mean fanatical, I'm not sure he ever listened to anything but! Before the end of the first year he'd vanished and joined the Moonies (a very dodgy religious sect), at the beginning of our final year he reappeared begging us to hide him from the Moonies :eek: we had to chase sect members out of our main Uni building!

Sounds like you're GODBLUFFING, DUNC!

After just watching ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’ the other night, your Moonies story is freaking me out!

Since Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice's classic Rock Opera JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR is celebrating its 50th Anniversary and the upcoming box set does NOT contain a 5.1 remix, here's a fantastic alternative of a 2012 LIVE ARENA TOUR Concert in DTS~HD MA 5.1 which is available from AmazonUS for under $11. The sonics are pretty spectacular and the rears offer ample reinforcement to the fronts:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Live-Arena-Tour-Blu-ray/76575/#Review
8149iNiRjAL._SL1500_.jpg

11426_4_large.jpg

Last edited:
After just watching ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’ the other night, your Moonies story is freaking me out!
They were weird, run by a very wealthy and dodgy Korean businessman if I remember correctly. I loathed them, they would try and accost new students and draw them into the sect, they'd just walk up to you in the street and say nice to see you again even though you'd never seen them before. Quite evil. Happened to me in my first week at Uni, I told them you're mistaken. Another day I got stopped 3 times walking down the main street, a noticed a policeman was watching the last one and taking notes, I was getting angry with this sect member. I looked over at the policeman, he grinned, so I started shouting, then chased the sect chap down the street, and I turned to see the policeman laugh and give me a thumbs up!

They were weird, run by a very wealthy and dodgy Korean businessman if I remember correctly. I loathed them, they would try and accost new students and draw them into the sect, they'd just walk up to you in the street and say nice to see you again even though you'd never seen them before. Quite evil. Happened to me in my first week at Uni, I told them you're mistaken. Another day I got stopped 3 times walking down the main street, a noticed a policeman was watching the last one and taking notes, I was getting angry with this sect member. I looked over at the policeman, he grinned, so I started shouting, then chased the sect chap down the street, and I turned to see the policeman laugh and give me a thumbs up!

R.10fed7a4bd33ef6cfc34aac52ce130e3

I'd equate their music with an alien landing, Fizzy :alien:

R.fe79cf3521d6ea5791144c5a5c141866

VDGG: WE'VE COME BEARING REECE PIECES!

So like a "Mork" and "Mindy" type of sound you say , or maybe..... "Mars Needs Women" !!

Or ......"It Came From Hollywood"

Dunc ,
Would you classify them as being "Canterbury Sound" ?

So like a "Mork" and "Mindy" type of sound you say , or maybe..... "Mars Needs Women" !!

Or ......"It Came From Hollywood"

Dunc ,
Would you classify them as being "Canterbury Sound" ?
I'd say they have the first rate musicianship and the same quirkiness of the bands in the "Canterbury Sound", but VDGG were formed in Manchester. So people do sort of group them with the Canterbury bands.

Back