Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone ever figure out what the hell it means when an album shows a "Dolby Audio" logo? I see it on Coldplay Ghost Stories, for example.

Yello's "Point" and Booka Shade's "Dear Future Self" (but not Galvany Street) are on Apple Music. There are a number of Atmos albums on Apple Music that were previously released on blu-ray (REM's Automatic for the People, Beatles' Abbey Road) and many albums mixed in Atmos but as of now not released on Blu-ray (Beatles' Sgt. Pepper; Pearl Jam's Gigaton, Ten, and No Code).
Galvany Street is now on Apple Music in mind-blowing Atmos.

Can somebody confirm the following for me?

I need a 4K apple box for the ATmos music? The one that is £149.99?

This does the same as Amazon firestick 4k which is £49.99, and currently used for Tidal.

To have both Apple and Tidal Atmos content I will need both of the bove plus pay for each, so around £30 monthly?

Is this correct?

cheers

Can somebody confirm the following for me?

I need a 4K apple box for the ATmos music? The one that is £149.99?

This does the same as Amazon firestick 4k which is £49.99, and currently used for Tidal.

To have both Apple and Tidal Atmos content I will need both of the bove plus pay for each, so around £30 monthly?

Is this correct?

cheers
Correct, as of right now, you need the 4K Apple TV box to stream Apple Music in Atmos. This box will also stream Tidal in Atmos, eliminating the need for multiple devices, even though you already have the Amazon Firestick.

I personally don't see the need to pay for both Apple Music and Tidal as Apple Music has pretty much everything I need.

My question got swallowed up a couple pages ago so I'll ask again:
Can I listen to full Dolby Atmos music (with ATV 4K and a proper pre/pro or AVR of course) without having a tv/projector yet installed? If so, what do I use for searching/GUI?

The ATV 4k only has hdmi, so keep that in mind. By default, it won't work without a handshake to a monitor/TV. To make it work without a display, your pre/pro or AVR will likely need a dummy hdmi plug- one that supports HDCP.
Maybe something like this?

4K Display Emulator Plug Headless Ghost Emulator Fake Display(Fit Headless-1920x1080-4096x2160 @60Hz)-2Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NNZYW...abc_0G1JFRGCHEYDX9GTR70J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't used this solution, so YMMV.

Once you have a headless handshake, consider the following:

1.Use Siri (voice control) in order to play bands, playlists, genres, albums and songs

2. Turn on voice control accessibility features to navigate the whole Apple TV without a screen. It's not quite as easy as with a gui, but it is close. This can be turned on in the settings under accessibility.

note, 1 and 2 can be used together. If you wait long enough during setup, voice control should prompt you to turn it on in order to begin.

or...

3. If you don't want to deal with any of this, consider adding a small monitor (like you stated). If you want something small, look into a camera field monitor. It's a small 5-7 inch screen, and supports 4k input.

There are dozens of vendors who make these at a variety of sizes and price points. I think the lowest I saw was $69, but the reviews weren't great on that one. I use a FeelWorld 7 inch monitor with my dslr- not sure it supports hdcp, but I can check tonight. If it does, I'll highly recommend it after the test.

Correct, as of right now, you need the 4K Apple TV box to stream Apple Music in Atmos. This box will also stream Tidal in Atmos, eliminating the need for multiple devices, even though you already have the Amazon Firestick.

I personally don't see the need to pay for both Apple Music and Tidal as Apple Music has pretty much everything I need.
OK cheers

Just looked at Ghost Stories and see Lossless and Apple Digital Master so no idea.

I see it on iOS, but not on tvOS or macOS. When I try to play it on my phone using AirPods Pro, it plays Lossless. When I try to play it on my AppleTV, it shows as Lossless, but when I do the same thing with Everyday Life in Atmos, it plays in surround. So for the life of me I cannot figure out wtf Dolby Audio means.

IMG_1205.PNG

There are dozens of vendors who make these at a variety of sizes and price points. I think the lowest I saw was $69, but the reviews weren't great on that one. I use a FeelWorld 7 inch monitor with my dslr- not sure it supports hdcp, but I can check tonight. If it does, I'll highly recommend it after the test.
Thanks. I have a small monitor that I will attach for the handshake. My issue is/was (still) that this would be useless to me to do searches and daily playing of Atmos mixes on Apple as it is too small and across the room; also, when I have the pj and screen I may not want to fire them up for simple music listening (assuming just having the pj attached will be good enough?). The iphone will work fine, though. Thx

Thanks. I have a small monitor that I will attach for the handshake. My issue is/was (still) that this would be useless to me to do searches and daily playing of Atmos mixes on Apple as it is too small and across the room; also, when I have the pj and screen I may not want to fire them up for simple music listening (assuming just having the pj attached will be good enough?). The iphone will work fine, though. Thx

Then, like I said, seriously consider using Siri for voice search. It can be configured to only listen when you press the mic button on the remote (for privacy), and it will give you FULL search capability from either the remote, or from an iPhone. You can launch an app, play a song, album, playlist, whatever. Give it a try, as while it may not seem natural when being used to visual navigation using a remote, It’s very effective. A short list of what it can do:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205300
You can do EXACTLY what you want (use it without relying on the screen) , but it involves a paradigm shift in how you use the remote.

And turn on VoiceOver control if you want to navigate the entire device without a screen. Siri should get you everything you need, but VoiceOver will provide voice responses to the screen movements and selections. It s pretty extensive, so it can be overwhelming.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202149https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205454

https://music.apple.com/us/album/big-science/261604943
This is really bonkers - on my AppleTV, if Atmos is on and you listen to the track "Big Science" it plays an Atmos mix of "Big Science 2"!! Completely different recording not even on the original album. Hopefully it's a sign the album will be eventually be available in Atmos?
Meanwhile, anybody know how to let Apple know they made a mistake?

https://music.apple.com/us/album/big-science/261604943
This is really bonkers - on my AppleTV, if Atmos is on and you listen to the track "Big Science" it plays an Atmos mix of "Big Science 2"!! Completely different recording not even on the original album. Hopefully it's a sign the album will be eventually be available in Atmos?
Meanwhile, anybody know how to let Apple know they made a mistake?

Yup, Big Science 2 is a bonus track on the Apple Music version of the album and they somehow attached an Atmos version of it to the Big Science track. Dumb.

Back