Atmos in a car? 😳

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
British - US
lorry - truck
artic - semi (truck)
truck - hand truck
carriage - car
tram - trolley or streetcar
trolley - pushcart
trafficator - turn signal
roundabout - traffic circle (now roundabout)
dual carriageway - divided highway
kerb - curb
pavement - sidewalk
give way - yield
bonnet - hood
boot - trunk
priority road ahead - yield ahead
overtake - pass on right (British) or left (US)
undertake - pass on left (British) or right (US)
flyover - overpass
tarmac - asphalt (paving)

Last edited:
trafficator - turn signal

Trafficator??! Where on earth did you find that term? I doubt you’d find anyone under seventy in the UK who had even heard it. It was the name of a mechanical semaphore signal used on some cars in the early 20th century.
trafficator.jpg

They were phased out in the 1950’s when illuminated signals were mandated. Your ‘turn signals’ are universally known simply as ‘indicators’ here.

Trafficator??! Where on earth did you find that term? I doubt you’d find anyone under seventy in the UK who had even heard it. It was the name of a mechanical semaphore signal used on some cars in the early 20th century.
View attachment 71255
They were phased out in the 1950’s when illuminated signals were mandated. Your ‘turn signals’ are universally known simply as ‘indicators’ here.
It was in a library book "The Learner Driver". It showed the trafficator signals as the blinking indicator.

I have seen what you call the trafficator on a Volkswagen.. I don't think it was ever approved here.

Maybe, like Kleenex was here, Trafficator because a generic word for a while.

I loved how I came upon a chapter "In case of disaster" in the book. Here in the US, a disaster is a cataclysmic event with many dead. In Britain, it is a traffic accident.

It was in a library book "The Learner Driver". It showed the trafficator signals as the blinking indicator.

In the UK the flapping paddle was the only thing called a trafficator.

I loved how I came upon a chapter "In case of disaster" in the book. Here in the US, a disaster is a cataclysmic event with many dead. In Britain, it is a traffic accident.

I never knew that. But it is information that will surely come as a great relief to those that mistakenly thought they had died in disasters in the UK.

Last edited:
Blimey, my Audi A5 with a B&O Spatial/3D system (I've only listened to 5.1 surround flacs so far though), only has 19 I've been hard done by :ROFLMAO: Let me guess Audi's next B&O system will have 31 :p

I have 17 in my Acura TLX/ASPEC/720 Watts
Every door, Rears, & Overhead; quite sufficient, I may add; especially with USB/5.1; WOW!

I have 17 in my Acura TLX/ASPEC/720 Watts
Every door, Rears, & Overhead; quite sufficient, I may add; especially with USB/5.1; WOW!
"Rears & Overhead" ...and people scoff at Atmos in a car. It's 95% here. We just need the decoder....

Back