Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All play in 5.1 here, what software are you on? Was some talk about problems with a beta version.
I use Apple TV, updated to the last official version. I only have issues with these two albums (and Ramones in Atmos). I think it's just regional differences

Crap, just updated to tvOS 15, and the Azteca is playing mono out of the front left. Argh.

Ok, messed with the Audio settings toggling everything back and forth and got surround back.

Last edited:
Or the musicality of this genre, as a son of a great musician and lover of immersive music, what Tidal is cranking out en mass ain't making any new rap lovers.

A lot of contemporary hip-hop leaves me cold, though some doesn't. (Like other ageing boomers, I'm still partial to artists I liked in the 80s and 90s, including Nas.) And I'd say that the musicality of hip-hop expresses itself in a variety of ways. But I agree: unimaginative production rarely does justice to any of that musicality, just as unimaginative mixing rarely does justice to the complexity, the energy, or the subtlety of the performers' work. Nothing unique about hip-hop in that regard, I guess.

Hitsville (select tracks only)
Apple TV4K

Get Ready - The Temptations
The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations
I Wish It Would Rain - The Temptations
Reach Out I'll Be There - Four Tops
Abc - Jackson 5
I Want You Back - Jackson 5

View attachment 71571
Nice find Pups. There's some other great tunes listed on the album that are mixed in Atmos - but for some reason only playback as stereo? This is all down to the ridiculous decision by Apple Music to have stereo mixed in with Atmos within the same albums... Here's some more Motown/soul songs that are in Atmos... Should be able to try in this playlist... Tidal have done this already with their soul playlist here.

Hitsville omissions -

The Temptations - Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
The Temptaions - Ain't Too Proud To Beg
The Supremes - Baby Love
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
The Miracles - You Really Got A Hold On Me

Other Motown/Soul hits...

The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love
The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go
Spinners - I'll Be Around
Charles Wright - Express Yourself
Grover Washington - Just The Two Of Us
Wilson Pickett - Don't Let The Green Grass Fool You
Tower Of Power - So Very Hard To Go
Ben. E. King - Supernatural Thing, Part 1
Aretha Franklin - Bridge Over Troubled Water (couldn't find on Apple Music)
Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate
Donny Hathaway - Someday We'll Be Free
The Commodores - Brick House
Barry White - Let The Music Play

There's also tracks by Rufus and James Brown but they have 'faulty' Atmos mixes, so I won't include them... :) Who knows maybe there's more Atmos classic soul hidden between the cracks?

Nice find Pups. There's some other great tunes listed on the album that are mixed in Atmos - but for some reason only playback as stereo? This is all down to the ridiculous decision by Apple Music to have stereo mixed in with Atmos within the same albums... Here's some more Motown/soul songs that are in Atmos... Should be able to try in this playlist... Tidal have done this already with their soul playlist here.

Hitsville omissions -

The Supremes - Baby Love

There's also tracks by Rufus and James Brown but they have 'faulty' Atmos mixes, so I won't include them... :) Who knows maybe there's more Atmos classic soul hidden between the cracks?
:hi🤩 Awesome list there @MrSmithers and especially for all the links!
Sure wish there were more Tower Of Power, but just hoping all of this is just the beginnings of an eventual Apple wave, into tsunami proportions.
*edit… just checked out “Just My Imagination” and my iPhone Apple Music says that one’s currently not available in the U.S.A.-ugh!!!

:hi🤩 Awesome list there @MrSmithers and especially for all the links!
Sure wish there were more Tower Of Power, but just hoping all of this is just the beginnings of an eventual Apple wave, into tsunami proportions.
*edit… just checked out “Just My Imagination” and my iPhone Apple Music says that one’s currently not available in the U.S.A.-ugh!!!

I've got a similar playlist, Pup; PM me. I can't figure out how to extract URLs for individual songs from a playlist, but "Just My Imagination" is there--along with those Rufus and James Brown tracks, whose vocals-in-the-rears mixes I actually like.

Other things on Tidal I'd like to be able to add to this list (in addition to Aretha's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"): "American Pie," "Rocket Man," and Roberta Flack's kick-ass cover of "What's Going On." Also, maybe, a few Bee Gees and Donna Summer tracks that I don't miss all that much, as I was never much of a disco fan (though I'm trying to bring myself around...).

Last edited:
Check out my similar playlist, Pup. I can't figure out how to extract URLs for individual songs from a playlist, but "Just My Imagination" is there--along with those Rufus and James Brown tracks, whose vocals-in-the-rears mixes I actually like.

Other things on Tidal I'd like to be able to add to this list (in addition to Aretha's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"): "American Pie," "Rocket Man," and Roberta Flack's kick-ass cover of "What's Going On." Also, maybe, a few Bee Gees and Donna Summer tracks that I don't miss all that much, as I was never much of a disco fan (though I'm trying to bring myself around...).

https://music.apple.com/library/playlist/p.4Y0JqAJhQBXRd
oops quick trigger there -LOL

Anyway, yeah your link didn’t connect for me on my phone. I think part of my problem is I’m signed into one account now on my phone without Apple Music signup; but I created another account on my computer where I did sign up. So I’ll need to sign out and back on with the different account to see everything on my iPhone.

As to liking Disco, I’ve finally (after most of my life warding it off) have trained myself to like it by shedding youthful Rock ‘n Roll biases and concentrating on the actual musical groove, rather than visions of John Travolta or The Bee Gees :)

Last edited:
oops quick trigger there -LOL

Anyway, yeah your link didn’t connect for me on my phone. I think part of my problem is I’m signed into one account now on my phone without Apple Music signup; but I created another account on my computer where I did sign up. So I’ll need to sign out and back on with the different account to see everything on my iPhone.

As to liking Disco, I’ve finally (after most of my life warding it off) have trained myself to like it by shedding youthful Rock ‘n Roll biases and concentrating on the actual musical groove, rather than visions of John Travolta or The Bee Gees :)

My fault, Pup. I'll send you a corrected link.

Last edited:

Hitsville omissions -

The Supremes - Baby Love

For some reason your links/lists wont let me save to my Library, they only say "preview" and play partial songs; what's that about?

I've got a similar playlist, Pup; PM me. I can't figure out how to extract URLs for individual songs from a playlist, but "Just My Imagination" is there--along with those Rufus and James Brown tracks, whose vocals-in-the-rears mixes I actually like.

I used to hate disco too, growing up on heavy rock mostly. But the last few years have become a fan of Donna Summer and The Bee Gees. Good music is good music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back