What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,
What you say about those Sony SQ CD's is almost bang on and makes far too much sense !
I agree why would a major quadraphonic backer , Number 3 i think , Number two being CBS, put the SQ Emblem on Stereo cd's ? If anything that would sour sales if they're supposed to be Quad SQ but turn out to be Stereo.
(Number one would be Bogue/Reber/Ruggles w/ TATE SQ)

Here's kinda a timeline on those Sony cd's.

FIRST-- I read they were all SQ encoded ,
SECONDLY-- then maybe a year or two later , it was no , the discs are only in Stereo .
FINALLY--I read that well no again , at least one or two are SQ encoded !!?

So confused yet ? I am. And please don't ask me dates of those posts , as they're in various threads !!!

{ BTW -anyone with "ALL" of those Sony SQ? cd's feel free to chime in}

Nevertheless .....They do have SQ emblems , and CBS' Quadrahonic emblem* as well , just like they did in the 70's....on the recent batch of SACD's from Sony Japan.
So with those I suppose the indications are ok.... except.....

I want them to include the actual SQ Matrix as well . Bit of a waste if you ask me. And we know some, if not all the encodes exist . (Example : Santana Lotus)
Hey it could be a twofer , one disc multi-channel SACD and the other disc ,a cd containing the SQ encode.

I know that would make me happy as well as anyone at ....INVOLVE , or with a decent SQ Decoder.
Surely that's a 10 storey Shipload of QQ'ers, and would invite others to climb aboard. 🛳🧗‍♂️

-Fizzy🛸

Got a few LPs from the area (people getting rid of shite after the Hurricane) and TWO of them are actually SQ! Most of them in excellent condition at least visually.

This one is a ProArte US version of an SQ encoded Supraphon;
R-5612309-1491370733-6667.jpeg.jpg

and this one is a Twofer from that ever elusive Eurodisc label. A cutout but it looks unplayed!
R-764450-1433775057-4241.jpeg.jpg

Got a few LPs from the area (people getting rid of shite after the Hurricane) and TWO of them are actually SQ! Most of them in excellent condition at least visually.

This one is a ProArte US version of an SQ encoded Supraphon;
R-5612309-1491370733-6667.jpeg.jpg

and this one is a Twofer from that ever elusive Eurodisc label. A cutout but it looks unplayed!
R-764450-1433775057-4241.jpeg.jpg
yeah, the Bach one comes with the FULL SCORE (a LOT of fun those full scores, too bad we never get any Stravinsky this way... I had to conduct a section of the Rite of Spring for my Conducting 102 class but that's another (repeated story) , albeit quite small but still legible...I found it curious that it features a C Clef !!!
now, I graduated from Music but not Classical.. I am guessing it's the Oboe that is C Clef???

Today just now for total of $25,- CAD in total including and thus together with 5 Quadradisc CD-4 titles (see other specific thread relating to these 5 Quadradisc) from a local Vancouver BC downtown record store; these 2 QS Quadraphonic album titles. Album covers AA , the vinyl all mint. View attachment 71640
I think you mean SQ. 😁

I think most Jim Nabors records are "near mint." I doubt they got much play. 😂

Just back from a local thriftstore. Santana Borboletta for $2,99. Cover is crap, reord is mint both sides. They even had a stereo version of the same album, I did not buy due to bad condition. Somebody donated obviously his or her record collection today or yesterday I suppose!

View attachment 72394
Hard to tell from your photo, but is that a European pressing? It's not the usual Columbia gold SQ label.

I think you mean SQ. 😁

I think most Jim Nabors records are "near mint." I doubt they got much play. 😂
I actually like Jim Nabors ! And for QS > SQ, was a typo to late couldn't edit correct anymore. But it made you read my post. Just trying to get attention. with my typo's. Be glad you weren't one of the judges who had to ' decode", my legal written advisories back in my BAR days! Besides my Sansui's don't care if it's a SQ or QS ;-)

Last edited:
Local confederal Canadian. Label is gold bye the way! I see what you mean; but it's gold. Photo / label is way to light on photo indeed; almost grey, but its just gold!
Thanks for saying this. Do you have a VERY GOOD picture of this Canadian label

FWIW Canadian pressings of Columia/Epic/CBS had a different colour scheme .

Here's some I still have that were pressed by Columbia Records Canada . In around the end of 1975 they went exclusively with the US Columbia's as imported into Canada with little or no price change.

Notice that they started with the grey , white , w/red print inner circle with a black print label.
Then ended with grey , dayglo orange inner circle, with a black print label .

20211017_160021.jpg
20211017_160232.jpg
20211017_155749.jpg
20211017_155908.jpg

These two colour schemes were the most commonly found on the Columbia/CBS Canada Pressings.

:)

I still don't understand why a quad album, like this one which is clearly marked QS, would still show "Stereo" on the label. 🤷‍♂️ So many did this....
Because all matrix (4-2-4 system) encoded records are in fact stereo (2 channel) records. It also emphasises the fact that they can be played on conventional stereo systems as well.

Back