Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981) Blu-ray:
1. There's a 5.1 mix on this along with the original mono and I'm happy to report a reasonable amount of discrete surround activity and some decent LFE. Surprising considering that it was probably constructed from mono. Way better than many other modern action movies that should be full of discrete surround activity.
2. A fun, TV movie that takes some unexpected turns.
3. Region free BD here: Amazon.com: Dark Night of the Scarecrow (blu-Ray) : Various, Frank De Felitta: Movies & TV

Currently ONLY available as a German Import THE NEVERENDING STORY [Constantin Films/HDR10/DTS~HD HR 5.1]

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/neverending-story-german-2021-uhd
810hALj042S._SL1500_.jpg

In other 4K UHD news, Kino Lorber Studio Classics has revealed that they’re going to be releasing John Waters’ Cry-Baby (1990) on the format. Street date is currently listed as “coming soon” but expect a new 4K scan of the original camera negative with Dolby Vision HDR. Hats off to Kino Lorber Studio Classics for doing so many great deep catalog titles on the format!

R.e5d2c29a52f4a2d35c401dd4e230cae1

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (1997) BD:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 on this is surprisingly good. I upped by surrounds 5dB and it brings the discrete elements out nicely (birds, insects, other ambient bits including the spaciousness of the courtroom scenes). You gotta crank this one and even with it loud, some of the centre dialogue can be hard to hear sometimes. Not a show-stopper though.
2. Picture is what you'd expect from a transfer of this age. It's not super sharp but as good as it gets for now.
3. Great performances and some of those involved in the true story are in the movie. Warm Southern US settings are one of my favourite locations for a story (especially with voodoo, alligators and fan boats scooting around the bayou!) so I dig it.
4. Region free BD here: Amazon.com: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil [Blu-ray] : Kevin Spacey, John Cusack, Jack Thompson, The Lady Chablis, Alison Eastwood, Irma P. Hall, Paul Hipp, Jude Law, Clint Eastwood: Movies & TV

Did anyone buy the 4K UHD Trilogy of "Back to the Future" last Oct and have problems with it freezing up your player?

Just received this fantastic box set today [Northern Exposure 15 BD~V discs/Audio DD 2.0/Surround] and am blown away by the quality. Back in the early 90's, the resolution was 480p and this was definitely shot on 35mm film. Also the DD 2.0 audio is surprisingly robust ..... certainly better than 90's broadcast TV audio As for the series.......one of the best shows of the 90's and still relevant today!

71Mrloo+crL._SL1200_.jpg

Back