New desktop add on electrostatic speaker- TEASER

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had never considered that bass (distortion) harmonics would be more audible due to the F-M curve (I don't recall this ever being mentioned in any subwoofer description [magazine tech article or product brochure]).

Digital pre-distortion could be an economical way to lower the harmonic distortion of entry level subwoofers w/built in amps.

Got AT&T fiber ~1 year ago, been cruising thru YouTube videos/audios, found this:

(I don't know how accurate the frequency display is, but my PSW108 seems to slightly exceed its spec)

Kirk Bayne

Getting back on topic!

Progress stuff
This is what the new speaker is looking like, using the good ol SM2 for scale:

IMG_20210923_104815.jpg
IMG_20210923_104827.jpg

20210922 DSS_RENDER_01.6.png
20210922 DSS_RENDER_01.11.png

And the box insides looks like, noting we are keeping the panels as light as possible with one central step-up box

image.png
image2.png

The boards and stuff is in prototype manufacture now. If you buy 2 sets you get quad!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Is the angled part causing the speaker to stand specially designed to route the sound out of the back toward the front?

Kirk Bayne
Nup, it really starts to throw the sound to the sides, when you measure the polar response the thing is virtually an omni, like our previous Nakamichi dragon

I'm still intrigued by the combination ES speaker stand and sound diffuser, in the picture. it looks like a flat surface, maybe a curved surface would better diffuse the sound from the back of the ES speaker, getting even closer to true omnidirectionality.

Kirk Bayne

I'm still intrigued by the combination ES speaker stand and sound diffuser, in the picture. it looks like a flat surface, maybe a curved surface would better diffuse the sound from the back of the ES speaker, getting even closer to true omnidirectionality.

Kirk Bayne
Trying to keep it as simple and cheap as possible while retaining the slim profile. Also doing a flat pack "ikea" style 4 screw assembly. In practice the frequency response is flat at all points around but there is an overall level shift. If I get time next week I might do some plots

I payed $30 - $35 for each of my Polk T15s, I'm hoping the Involve Audio ES speakers will be in that price range (my friend has 2 Magnaplaner speakers which I've listened to often, I've rarely heard ES speakers though). :)

Kirk Bayne

I payed $30 - $35 for each of my Polk T15s, I'm hoping the Involve Audio ES speakers will be in that price range (my friend has 2 Magnaplaner speakers which I've listened to often, I've rarely heard ES speakers though). :)

Kirk Bayne
$35 for high quality speakers? ES or not? I'ts hard to belive I just read this...:eek:

Last edited:
Finally more progress!!!
So many delays due to component delay issues and my wood guy is at the best of times slow and unreliable (but he does a great job.....love him). Finally we have the new extrusion and I have mounted the PCB in it. IT ALL FITS!!!!

Just waiting on the friggin wood and I am doing a few minor tweaks of the panel compensation network. Note each speaker uses 100/1 ratio step up transformers parallel primaries and series secondaries. Also note there is a variable gap and effective aperture in the panels (weird stuff)

Attachments

• IMG_20220804_161920.jpg
    IMG_20220804_161920.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220804_161755.jpg
    IMG_20220804_161755.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Also in secret I am designing and now building the BIG BROTHER of the desktop speaker and the first set will live in my humble abode (hell I am paying for it). It is a full range next generation version of my old Nakamichi dragons we designed 15 years ago. I will have the new monster for the fronts and the old Naka's for the rears (not too shabby rears).

Sneak reveal.
-It will be 6 feet 8 tall 3 segment electrostatic 30 Hz- 120 Hz, 120 Hz-5 kHz, 5 kHz- 40kHz and 600mm wide.....yes I am mixing units get used to it.

-3 transformers

- passive really wacky crossover/ compensation

- Active band filtering