SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIS/eClassical's latest promotion: Prokofiev Complete Symphonies (Bergen Phil/Andrew Litton) bundle; also includes Lt. Kije, Love for Three Oranges, and Romeo & Juliet. 24/96 FLAC 5.0 (hall ambience only). Equivalent of 6 SACDs for 34.39 USD.
https://www.eclassical.com/conductors/litton-andrew/prokofiev-the-symphonies-bundle.html
Great cycle. I know not everyone will think this, but aggressive surround in the thornier Prokofiev works just sounds tiring, so I'm happy with the concert hall mix.

Pentatone have a new sale celebrating 20 years of business with a 60% off promotion. All releases before June 2021 are eligible for the discount. The code is PENTA20YEARS.

PENTATONE | Catalog

I wanted to go for the remastered quad SACDs. Many are sold out or out-of-print, but I picked up the four Kubelik Beethoven releases and the Ozawa La damnation de Faust. Normally, this would have cost €118,80, but with the discount, it cost me €47,52, or about US $55! Shipping to the US also seems to be free!

Pentatone have a new sale celebrating 20 years of business with a 60% off promotion. All releases before June 2021 are eligible for the discount. The code is PENTA20YEARS.

PENTATONE | Catalog

I wanted to go for the remastered quad SACDs. Many are sold out or out-of-print, but I picked up the four Kubelik Beethoven releases and the Ozawa La damnation de Faust. Normally, this would have cost €118,80, but with the discount, it cost me €47,52, or about US $55! Shipping to the US also seems to be free!
I've wanted the Aimard/Messaien Catalogue d'oiseaux for some time, and this price is reasonable for me. Also got the Jurowski/Mahler Das Lied and Steinbacher Four Seasons in the deal. Shipping to the USA was 5 EUR for me, not sure if that's a change.

I've typically gotten my Pentatone fix, when not ordering them as new, from the Berkshire Record Outlet, which is still cheaper at $7 a disc: Products – Berkshire Record Outlet. However, these aren't available there.

I've wanted the Aimard/Messaien Catalogue d'oiseaux for some time, and this price is reasonable for me. Also got the Jurowski/Mahler Das Lied and Steinbacher Four Seasons in the deal. Shipping to the USA was 5 EUR for me, not sure if that's a change.

I've typically gotten my Pentatone fix, when not ordering them as new, from the Berkshire Record Outlet, which is still cheaper at $7 a disc: Products – Berkshire Record Outlet. However, these aren't available there.

The Catalogue is lovely--and, one supposes, definitive. (Plus--spoiler--it comes with feathers!)

The Catalogue is lovely--and, one supposes, definitive. (Plus--spoiler--it comes with feathers!)
I copied that one from the library and was impressed that the feathers were still in the case.

There are also some surround downloads that don’t seem available on sacd (indeed often cheaper).

Also got the Emerson Quartet set of Schumann quartets and Miro Quartet set of Beethoven quartets from the sale. EUR 25 for the whole thing in 24/96 stereo. Pity about the lack of surround but very nice in my stereo setup at my office.

It's interesting, looking at Pentatone's catalogue page (displaying everything in descending order of release), to appreciate just how much they've brought out over the past couple of years--a lot! Also: they're repackaging some of their old material (e.g., Matt Haimovitz's Oxingale stuff) in attractive ways, and they seem to be offering surround downloads of certain titles that never got an SACD release...

It's interesting, looking at Pentatone's catalogue page (displaying everything in descending order of release), to appreciate just how much they've brought out over the past couple of years--a lot! Also: they're repackaging some of their old material (e.g., Matt Haimovitz's Oxingale stuff) in attractive ways, and they seem to be offering surround downloads of certain titles that never got an SACD release...

Looking over the plethora of Pentatone titles on their website, I marvel at just how many I currently have in my collection. Almost ALL of the Philips/DGG RQR titles some of which are no longer available in the Multi~CH SACD format and a bunch of those wonderful Oxingale Matt Hamovitz SACDs, as well.

I'll probably pass on this current [and very generous] sale as combined with Chandos, BIS and other classical label SACD titles, I think I have enough Multi~CH SACDs in my collection to last my lifetime ..... unless something EXTRAORDINARY comes my way!

Looking over the plethora of Pentatone titles on their website, I marvel at just how many I currently have in my collection. Almost ALL of the Philips/DGG RQR titles some of which are no longer available in the Multi~CH SACD format and a bunch of those wonderful Oxingale Matt Hamovitz SACDs, as well.

I'll probably pass on this current [and very generous] sale as combined with Chandos, BIS and other classical label SACD titles, I think I have enough Multi~CH SACDs in my collection to last my lifetime ..... unless something EXTRAORDINARY comes my way!

I'm sure my collection is far smaller than yours, Ralph, and I feel like I have more than enough for two lifetimes.

Regarding the current sale: I queued up a few of the titles I was considering in Apple Music--the first two entries in Rene Jacobs's Schubert cycle, the Russian National's Shostakovich 13th, Missy Mazzoli's Proving Up, the Calder Quartet's Eclectic Currents, Signum's Ins still Land (more Schubert)--to audition them. I know the label would see more money if I just plonked down my cash for them, even at 60% off. But I gotta say: it feels like my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer does at least a good a job as Pentatone's own surround mixers--maybe better--especially with the chamber material (not to mention the stereo-only albums). So I donno...

Last edited:
I'm sure my collection is far smaller than yours, Ralph, and I feel like I have more than enough for two lifetimes.

Regarding the current sale: I queued up a few of the titles I was considering in Apple Music--the first two entries in Rene Jacobs's Schubert cycle, the Russian National's Shostakovich 13th, Missy Mazzoli's Proving Up, the Calder Quartet's Eclectic Currents, Signum's Ins still Land (more Schubert)--to audition them. I know the label would see more money if I just plonked down my money for them, even at 60% off. But I gotta say: it feels like my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer does at least a good a job as Pentatone's own surround mixers--maybe better--especially with the chamber material (not to mention the stereo-only albums). So I donno...

The problem I have ordering from Berkshire Records is the total lack of graphics accompanying each offering. IF ONLY my huge collection was in some kind of order .... but it's not and the last time I did order from them, I duplicated a few SACDs. Granted, Berkshire's prices are UNBEATABLE ......but in the end, at what cost when you already have the selection!

The problem I have ordering from Berkshire Records is the total lack of graphics accompanying each offering. IF ONLY my huge collection was in some kind of order .... but it's not and the last time I did order from them, I duplicated a few SACDs. Granted, Berkshire's prices are UNBEATABLE ......but in the end, at what cost when you already have the selection!

Feel similarly about Berkshire, although it's usually possible to track down info re titles elsewhere, with some effort.

Just to be clear, though: this sale is at Pentatone's own site. (See @McCrutchy 's post, above.)

It's certainly spartan, but it's also very usable. Given that they always give you a barcode, it can easily be checked using HRAudio.net - Barcode Lookup. Since I also catalog my collection there it's also an easy way to avoid double buys.

Does anyone have this disc?
Strauss_heldenleben_PTC5186582.jpg

I do, or at least I did, and I ripped it only to find that the Macbeth track is faulty and that Pentatone no longer lists it on their website. If any one has this and can help me obtain a valid rip of that track, please let me know. Thanks.

Does anyone have this disc?
View attachment 71984
I do, or at least I did, and I ripped it only to find that the Macbeth track is faulty and that Pentatone no longer lists it on their website. If any one has this and can help me obtain a valid rip of that track, please let me know. Thanks.
I have it but don't have my ripping setup set up right now. I don't think I listened yet, does it play correctly?

I have it but don't have my ripping setup set up right now. I don't think I listened yet, does it play correctly?
I don't know. I never played the disc before I ripped it and buried it. FWIW, I am interested in the multichannel track.

Back