HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
I know this post is specifically about the Blu-ray of WYWH, but does anyone have thoughts about the SACD version? It seems pretty reasonably priced for new. Just curious. Thanks!
I know your question is rather old now, but imo, since the SACD is missing the 70s quad mix of WYWH, it is a total deal breaker. That quad mix is one of the most important ever done on a rock album. One must own that unless you simply like 5.1 surround, and can accept you are missing a part of the history of the recording.

I know your question is rather old now, but imo, since the SACD is missing the 70s quad mix of WYWH, it is a total deal breaker. That quad mix is one of the most important ever done on a rock album. One must own that unless you simply like 5.1 surround, and can accept you are missing a part of the history of the recording.

One thing to remember about the blu-ray, it has a few seconds cut out of the quad version near the beginning of SOYCD part VIII. I recall being told it was trimmed so the 5.1 and quad would be in synch. I don't know about audio streams/disk authoring/etc so I have no idea if that's a requirement.

One thing to remember about the blu-ray, it has a few seconds cut out of the quad version near the beginning of SOYCD part VIII. I recall being told it was trimmed so the 5.1 and quad would be in synch. I don't know about audio streams/disk authoring/etc so I have no idea if that's a requirement.
But that it has been restored back in on the BR SACD disc? No, I didn't know that.

But I am not aware that different mixes are ever considered needing to be in sync of the same length on a given disc.

But that it has been restored back in on the BR SACD disc? No, I didn't know that.

But I am not aware that different mixes are ever considered needing to be in sync of the same length on a given disc.

I don't know what a "BR SACD" disk would be. If BR means Blu-ray, I don't think something can be both a blu-ray and an SACD. The SACD does not have the quad mix on it, so there is nothing "restored" there.

There are digitized recordings from analog releases of the original quad mix of WYWH. Those digitized analog releases have a few extra bars of material in SOYCD part 8 when compared to the blu-ray release.

I don't know what a "BR SACD" disk would be. If BR means Blu-ray, I don't think something can be both a blu-ray and an SACD. The SACD does not have the quad mix on it, so there is nothing "restored" there.

There are digitized recordings from analog releases of the original quad mix of WYWH. Those digitized analog releases have a few extra bars of material in SOYCD part 8 when compared to the blu-ray release.
BR SACD is BR / SACD fyi. Both.

What "releases" are you speaking of? Or, maybe you must mean digitized analog recordings. A typo? Or unreleased digitized recordings?

BR SACD is BR / SACD fyi. Both.

What "releases" are you speaking of? Or, maybe you must mean digitized analog recordings. A typo? Or unreleased digitized recordings?

Okay, we're talking past each other a bit, so let me try to politely sort this out.

Of the official releases circa 2011, the Quad Mix is only on the Blu Ray. The SACD only has the 5.1 mix. Back in the 1970s, WYWH was released in Quad in addition to stereo. Those 1970s era quad releases have a few more seconds of music in SOYCD part VIII than the Quad Mix put on the 2011 blu-ray. I know this because I have heard digitized versions of those 1970s releases and compared it to the 2011 release of the quad mix.

Why were the few seconds trimmed on the 2011 blu-ray? I have no idea. I've been told it was necessary for technical reasons, but I do not have the expertise to validate that.

Why were the few seconds trimmed on the 2011 blu-ray? I have no idea. I've been told it was necessary for technical reasons, but I do not have the expertise to validate that.
It was a choice made to accommodate authoring the Blu-ray such that all audio programs were contained within one video program, facilitating seamless switching between mixes. Thus, the track lengths needed to be identical across all three mixes. They could have just as easily included the quad mix as part of a separate video program without trimming the additional length, but that would have meant no seamless program switching to it.

I believe they simply did not want Richard's odd little funky keyboard part to be a part of the album. Nothing to do with various layers syncing up, and switching issues.

I believe they simply did not want Richard's odd little funky keyboard part to be a part of the album. Nothing to do with various layers syncing up, and switching issues.

I've wondered myself if its inclusion back in 1975 was simply a mistake that they finally corrected in 2011. But it still bugs me that it's gone--the differences between the stereo and quad versions were always part of the fun for me.

Downgrading to a "9".
I find the Quad mix to be a bit unbalanced. Guthrie's mix is a very enjoyable experience, but the material just isn't as compelling, to me, as Floyd's best.
LiS Review

Last edited:
Back