Auro-3D Pure Audio / Dolby Atmos / 360 Reality Audio (physical media)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
Looking through a list of titles on their site, I realized just how many Auro-3D titles I actually had in my collection. Pretty sure all will play the base 5.1 audio on my current system.
*I actually have some titles I haven't even got to play as of yet. Comments by others here would be great; who actually can play these titles, in partial to full system configuration.
https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/auro-3d/
I found this one that is set to come out on 09/23/2021 Tetragon Project "Oracles"; and sounds pretty good to me from this teaser:

Looking through a list of titles on their site, I realized just how many Auro-3D titles I actually had in my collection. Pretty sure all will play the base 5.1 audio on my current system.
*I actually have some titles I haven't even got to play as of yet. Comments by others here would be great; who actually can play these titles, in partial to full system configuration.
https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/auro-3d/
I found this one that is set to come out on 09/23/2021 Tetragon Project "Oracles"; and sounds pretty good to me from this teaser:

The vast majority of titles there are on the 2L and Sono Luminus labels. I don't have all of them, but of those I do have, I can't think of a single one that doesn't also include a Dolby Atmos mix. I'd be curious to hear a good Auro-3D setup (with its awesomely named "Voice of God" speaker) someday, but not curious enough to shell out for one of the very few high-end AVRs still on the market that will handle Auro-3D. And at this point, it seems pretty clear that Dolby has won this particular format war anyway...

Have you heard the Hazar album?
Don’t have that one, but I did listen to the trailer. Paco De Lucia inspired apparently. I probably only own about a third of all those titles.

I agree with humprof, Auro-3D may be a flash in the pan; and now 360 Reality Audio is knocking at the door also, besides Atmos.
*oops just realized my thread header is misspelled!

Last edited:
GAMmA - david miles huber

*comparing the 5.1 Original and the Berlin mixes today some; they are different but both very enjoyable!

GAMmA MIXES COMPARE.jpg

Last edited:
I've got an Auro setup (Auro 9.1 played over 17.1 speakers (4 sets of arrayed side surrounds and two sets for surround/rear height. It also does 11.1.6 Atmos and DTS:X. I've found the extra arrays somehow make the recreated recording room sound vastly more real. I went from sounds kind of like a church with very realistic choir/organ on my new Norway Church hymnal albums to OMG, I've been transported by Scotty into a church! (with my eyes closed)

Sony can take a flying leap. I'm not buying a new AVR/AVP just to play some headphone format over speakers that's no better than Atmos. Those arses apparently want a repeat of Quad with a half dozen systems trying to take the market. Sony figures they can do a repeat of Bluray five years into the game! I hope they fail and fail hard.

Anyway, I've got several Auro music albums, including several Auro only ones.

Auro-3D Only

Diabolo (27 classical reference recordings)
Mando Diao - Aelita
Ayreheart - Barley Moon
George McCrae - Love
Bernie Dresel - Live N' Bernin
Spektral Quartet - Serious Business
Tiesto - Elements of Life
Lichtmond 3 - Days of Eternity
Both Demo Discs with dozens of tracks

I've also got 19 movies in Auro-3D.

Atmos & Auro

Himmelrand
Himmelborgen
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot

Atmos Only (Usually 5.1 and stereo too)

Yello - Point
Booka Shade - Galvany Street
Booka Shade - Dear Future Self
Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
John Williams - Live in Vienna
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Schiller - Morgenstund
INXS - Kick

Might be forgetting some.

(Edit: Yeah, I did, like Kraftwerk 3D, their entire music catalogue in Dolby Atmos with 3D video from live concerts and the film footage as well in its entirety. Also Lichtmond IV - The Journey in Atmos).

Loreena McKennitt's The Visit should be on its way soon too.

Last edited:
I've got an Auro setup (Auro 9.1 played over 17.1 speakers (4 sets of arrayed side surrounds and two sets for surround/rear height. It also does 11.1.6 Atmos and DTS:X. I've found the extra arrays somehow make the recreated recording room sound vastly more real. I went from sounds kind of like a church with very realistic choir/organ on my new Norway Church hymnal albums to OMG, I've been transported by Scotty into a church! (with my eyes closed)

Sony can take a flying leap. I'm not buying a new AVR/AVP just to play some headphone format over speakers that's no better than Atmos. Those arses apparently want a repeat of Quad with a half dozen systems trying to take the market. Sony figures they can do a repeat of Bluray five years into the game! I hope they fail and fail hard.

Anyway, I've got several Auro music albums, including several Auro only ones.

Auro-3D Only

Diabolo (27 classical reference recordings)
Mando Diao - Aelita
Ayreheart - Barley Moon
George McCrae - Love
Bernie Dresel - Live N' Bernin
Spektral Quartet - Serious Business
Tiesto - Elements of Life
Lichtmond 3 - Days of Eternity
Both Demo Discs with dozens of tracks

I've also got 19 movies in Auro-3D.

Atmos & Auro

Himmelrand
Himmelborgen
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot

Atmos Only (Usually 5.1 and stereo too)

Yello - Point
Booka Shade - Galvany Street
Booka Shade - Dear Future Self
Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
John Williams - Live in Vienna
Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague
Schiller - Morgenstund
INXS - Kick

Might be forgetting some.

Loreena McKennitt's The Visit should be on its way soon too.

What is Barely moon like?

We did not know either of us ordered this one Pups...

Mine arrived today.

I shall only say, for now, not to spoil your listening pleasure...

WOW!!!!!

Bought it from here...
https://www.ian.solutions/productions/
There are a few titles I fancy from there including
Jazz Ambassadors - The Sammy Sessions
but I have no idea how the mixes are?

There are a few titles I fancy from there including
Jazz Ambassadors - The Sammy Sessions
but I have no idea how the mixes are?
I'm in the same boat....
I took a chance on the Tetragon release.

One of the people who run the site, Stefan Bock, is a good person to deal with.

I might reach out to him and see where we go....

I'm in the same boat....
I took a chance on the Tetragon release.

One of the people who run the site, Stefan Bock, is a good person to deal with.

I might reach out to him and see where we go....

I bought
Alessandro Quarta plays Astor Piazzolla

Unfortunately the mixes were very poor. Bass in rear left with nothing in rear right or overheads but ambience. Very unbalanced and a complete waste. I ripped the 7.1 track and rearranged my fav songs from the album. I presume mix engineer had never heard any surround before.

What is Barely moon like?

Traditional Celtic music, more or less (I'm not exactly an expert on it). It's more string based than another album I have (stereo) that is heavily accordion based (John Whelan - Celtic Crossroads). I really dug the John Whelan album. I haven't spent enough time with Ayreheart yet to draw a firm conclusion.

This just in from:
IAN Productions (5.1 dts-HD Master Audio for me)
doin' it Acid Jazz style (y) (y)

View attachment 78196
View attachment 78197

[EDIT: Forget what I said below about Atmos sometimes sounding "slightly off." I played the offending tracks in straight 5.1 and the tonal issues are still there...the 'crap' sound is in the multis.]

Now this disc would be a very interesting comparative title for Auro 3D vs Dolby Atmos. With Atmos, the sound quality of the limited number of titles that I own sometimes seems "slightly off" for lack of a better term. Perhaps a bit of midrange emphasis? Perhaps although I have bookshelf speakers in the ceiling, the tonal balance with the big floorstanding mains, surrounds and center aren't up to snuff? This wouldn't be surprising because my system sound quality went up substantially when I replaced the bookshelf size surrounds with floorstanders. Even my wife Mrs. "Boomboxes Are Good Enough" commented on the improvement in sound quality.

I don't have an Auro 3D title to compare to Atmos, but I never notice any tonal imbalance when upmixing stereo or quad to Auro 3D. Sometimes Dolby Surround is a bit too reverberant, but I never notice any total imbalance upmixing with that codec either. I never notice any tonal imbalances when upmixing a movie to Neural X or Dolby Surround. Weird.

(Anyone here have any suggestions on how to install 60 lb floorstanding speakers in the ceiling?)

Last edited:
Back