Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used homer’s mmh software too, to add a 5th silent phantom channel and it worked for me with my Marantz. Denon/Marantz’s have similar issues with being able to handle quad files via hdmi.
Same here, my Marantz 7703 PrePro had all kind of problems trying to play any 4.0, 4.1, or 5.0 files over HDMI.
Homers MMH fixes all that quickly and easily.
A huge thanks goes out to @HomerJAU !!!

I'm using the Sony UBP-X800m2 blu-ray player and Denon AVR-3600H, and I just had Denon AVR-3700H for a while as a replacement unit during a warranty repair. I'm happy to share the good news that Denon AVR-3700H handled just fine 4.0 files streamed over home network to the blu-ray player. The best that the 3600H can do is 5.0

I'm using the Sony UBP-X800m2 blu-ray player and Denon AVR-3600H, and I just had Denon AVR-3700H for a while as a replacement unit during a warranty repair. I'm happy to share the good news that Denon AVR-3700H handled just fine 4.0 files streamed over home network to the blu-ray player. The best that the 3600H can do is 5.0
That is very surprising that Sound United have seemingly fixed this issue with their 2020 models but not their previous generations which they probably could with a firmware update but obviously there is no incentive for them to do so at all, I had got in touch with them a while ago & they had mentioned that they are aware of this problem but felt it wasn't necessary to fix & advised to use the 7.1 analog inputs instead, that's all fine and all but only the Denon X8500H has 7.1 inputs along with a select few Marantz models.

How will it work if you use MMH to add silent channels so they are 5.1 or 7.1 files

How will it work if you use MMH to add silent channels so they are 5.1 or 7.1 files

I'm not sure if I got your question, but either generation of the Denons can handle 5.1 (or 5.0) files which include added silent channels. It's just that with the 3700H it seems that you don't have to add the silent channel(s) to quad files. I have no experience beyond 6-channel files.

I'm not sure if I got your question, but either generation of the Denons can handle 5.1 (or 5.0) files which include added silent channels.
I was only posing the idea to use MMH to create 5.1 files from 4.0 or whatever to get around the issue with earlier models.
My Marantz 7703 pre/pro used to choke on most non 5.1 multich files. Was a real PITA till I found MMH

I was only posing the idea to use MMH to create 5.1 files from 4.0 or whatever to get around the issue with earlier models.
My Marantz 7703 pre/pro used to choke on most non 5.1 multich files. Was a real PITA till I found MMH

Yes, of course, MMH has been my savior too. It's just that it would be nice not to have to manually add silent channels in the 21st century, so I wanted to share that Denon stepped up their game - the more so that they did not document the improvement anywhere. I believe that this thread started with the intention of compiling a list of hardware that works with quad files out of the box.

Just wanted to add that the source support also matters. I have multi channel files that wont play on my Sony player but will play on the Oppo player. The reason is the Sony trys to output FL+FR+SBL+SBR when the file is not marked which my prepro does not support and the Oppo outputs FL+FR+SL+SR for the same files which my prepro does support.

For HTPCs I have found the following under Windows:

Intel Graphics Card:
FL + FR + SBL + SBR - Supported
FL + FR + SL + SR - Unsupported
FL + FR + C + LFE - Supported

AMD Graphics Card:
FL + FR + SBL + SBR - Supported
FL + FR + SL + SR - Unsupported
FL + FR + C + LFE - Unsupported

Nvidia Graphics Card:
FL + FR + SBL + SBR - ?
FL + FR + SL + SR - ?
FL + FR + C + LFE - ?

Unfortunately there is no way for the source to check which channels mapping are supported by the receiver/prepro.

I got a response from Marantz support (and they closed the ticket). I will reopen it again with the help of my local dealer. Just judge yourselves:

I am very Sorry that you did not receive an answer until now. We shifted our backend of customer service and unfortunately it seems that this incident was "lost" (or simply not answered) from one of the guys who had to leave the company.

This is what we tested but was not forwarded to you:

UD5007 output set to PCM

1. 4.0 signal: SR7013 does not recognize correct input signal

2. 5.1 signal: SR7013 recognizes 5.1 and also outputs 5.1

with Oppo 203 additional tested:

1. 4.0 signal: SR7013 recognizes correctly 4.0 input signal and outputs 5,1

2. 5.1 signal: SR7013 recognizes 5.1 and also outputs 5.1

So finally I assume this is not an issue with SR7011, it is more an issue with PCM file which then it not correctly outputted from UD5007.

So everything is correct, except the pcm file. Maybe encoder not set correctly while ripped.

BS. The issue is that the UD5007 is putting out a proper 4.0 while the Oppo is putting that 4.0 into a proper 5.1 container (just as I can using JRiver). The answer is that the SR7013 cannot play a 4.0 bitstream.

My results if anyone still interested or having problems:

- Oppo 205 outputting bitstream via HDMI (Audio Only) port
- Ripped files (FLAC and DSF) played via USB
- Marantz SR7013 (Bluray HDMI input)

I've had no problems recognizing 4.0 files using this combination. If it is the Oppo is putting the files into the proper 5.1 container, then additional kudos to Oppo yet again.

Really? No HDMI?
Even on those older 'cheaper' ones?
I'm not really up on the features of the different generations?
Anyways, IMO you got to be crazy to pay the amount of money used ones are going for. There are all kind of ways to skin the cat with the same if not better SQ in the end.. I bought a used Sony in perfect condition for $40 shipped to rip SACD's ;)

Kodi 19.1 plays 4 channel FLAC with both my AVRs (Denon AVR X7200WA and Denon AVR X3500H). I discovered this recently when I added new 4 channel files to my NAS. Usually I convert to a 5.1 formatted file with silent C and LFE.

I’ve had the 7200WA for ages and older versions of Kodi played 4 ch as stereo only. Front channels with no rears, not downmixed to stereo.

Even on those older 'cheaper' ones?
I guess it depends on how much older and how much cheaper/
I'm not really up on the features of the different generations?
I was but no longer remember.
Anyways, IMO you got to be crazy to pay the amount of money used ones are going for. There are all kind of ways to skin the cat with the same if not better SQ in the end.. I bought a used Sony in perfect condition for $40 shipped to rip SACD's ;)
Agreed. I kept my (relatively older, cheaper) Oppos for that purpose.

Kodi 19.1 plays 4 channel FLAC with both my AVRs (Denon AVR X7200WA and Denon AVR X3500H). I discovered this recently when I added new 4 channel files to my NAS. Usually I convert to a 5.1 formatted file with silent C and LFE.

I’ve had the 7200WA for ages and older versions of Kodi played 4 ch as stereo only. Front channels with no rears, not downmixed to stereo.
So perhaps it is not an inherent limitation with the newer 2014 & later Atmos-based D+M AVRs' processing after all, is it most certainly a source issue but then apparently the 2020 D+M models have this issue fixed as confirmed by @Veganfloyd's usage with the Sony UBP-X800M2 but not on Denon's 2019 AVR-X3600H model.
I'm happy to share the good news that Denon AVR-3700H handled just fine 4.0 files streamed over home network to the blu-ray player. The best that the 3600H can do is 5.0

Back