Reavon Blu-ray DVD-Audio SACD player coming out in Europe.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had an e-mail this evening from Reavon with details of a F/W update -
FW.JPG

Not sure if this has been posted .. here’s a review of both models from sound and vision magazine .

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/reavon-ubr-x100-and-ubr-x200-ultra-hd-blu-ray-players-review

"As for the player's analog multi-channel outputs, I generally feel that this feature on a player isn't necessary"

Totally disagree.

It may be true for the Reavons. They employ an ancient DAC! But if the transport DAC is of higher caliper than the A/V receiver like the Oppo's had, especially when you want pure DSD, then analog out is a must.

Last edited:
Question: I run a modded Oppo 105 and 4K projector/screen. Analog outs to vintage Marantz receiver amps. 4300(quad) and 2270(center)

To add 4K disc capability, could I use an Oppo 203 or UBR-X100, sending it's HDMI audio out to the 105 and it's 4K video directly to the projector? Anybody doing this? Would a cheaper 4K player do just as well? Or would audio suffer due to cheaper DACs in a cheaper player? Or do the 4K player's DACs not come into play in this scenario?

I've been replacing my DVDs with Blu-Rays, because they look much better on the 4K capable projector and 4K screen. I want to see what improvement 4K discs deliver, to see if its worth the $ to hunt them down where available.

If the improvement is great enough, I might invest in a Oppo 205. I'm happy with my 105's audio.(Dr. Lee OppoMod linear power supply)

Please educate me on these points. Maybe it will apply to others too. Thanks!

Question: I run a modded Oppo 105 and 4K projector/screen. Analog outs to vintage Marantz receiver amps. 4300(quad) and 2270(center)

To add 4K disc capability, could I use an Oppo 203 or UBR-X100, sending it's HDMI audio out to the 105 and it's 4K video directly to the projector? Anybody doing this? Would a cheaper 4K player do just as well? Or would audio suffer due to cheaper DACs in a cheaper player? Or do the 4K player's DACs not come into play in this scenario?

I've been replacing my DVDs with Blu-Rays, because they look much better on the 4K capable projector and 4K screen. I want to see what improvement 4K discs deliver, to see if its worth the $ to hunt them down where available.

If the improvement is great enough, I might invest in a Oppo 205. I'm happy with my 105's audio.(Dr. Lee OppoMod linear power supply)

From the audio standpoint, If you can input a second players HDMI out to your Oppo 105, any 4K video player will work. The HDMI link between the players is all digital and the only DACs being used would be in the Oppo 105. So the 4K players DACs do not come into play. But how to split the audio and video from the single HDMI coming from the 4K player?

The HDMI input on the Oppo 105 wont accept 4K, correct? There may be cheaper 4K players with two HDMI outputs but both of those Reavons have dual HDMI out with one dedicated to audio. I believe the Oppo 203/205 do too. Maybe a 4K compatible HDMI splitter of some kind?

Am I the only one who thinks that this move to 4K video is getting a bit ridiculous. 1080p looks fine to me. It was not that long ago that people were fine with the crappy video of VHS. I suppose that people think the same about us audio freaks with our ever higher resolution audio systems.

If you do get a 205 and want to sell the 105 let me know!

Those are Dynaudio, great speaker to use with screens lesser than 8 feet wide with no center (phantom) they also go down into the low 40's. Making the sub thing optional. Here is my SONY OLED 83" setup, for a 75 grand system it gives most 500k plus systems i have done or heard a run for the investment because being nearfield gets you whacked from every direction especially in multichannel music with concussive directional bass, that feature alone is hard to reproduce in the mid-field and may be impossible in the far field giving the smallest of rooms what I value as a MILLION DOLLAR ADVANTAGE. I REALLY DO THINK IT IS THE GREATEST THING EVER. i have shown the system to 2 potential customers, we are moving ahead with both sales..

Attachments

• 248421056_4613141602068057_1879978990665619297_n.jpg
    248421056_4613141602068057_1879978990665619297_n.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 248041213_4613141855401365_6195108971231531793_n.jpg
    248041213_4613141855401365_6195108971231531793_n.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 81
Those are Dynaudio, great speaker to use with screens lesser than 8 feet wide with no center (phantom) they also go down into the low 40's. Making the sub thing optional. Here is my SONY OLED 83" setup, for a 75 grand system it gives most 500k plus systems i have done or heard a run for the investment because being nearfield gets you whacked from every direction especially in multichannel music with concussive directional bass, that feature alone is hard to reproduce in the mid-field and may be impossible in the far field giving the smallest of rooms what I value as a MILLION DOLLAR ADVANTAGE. I REALLY DO THINK IT IS THE GREATEST THING EVER. i have shown the system to 2 potential customers, we are moving ahead with both sales..
Appreciate the feedback Pete; but my fault in getting us off the Reavon thread track here.
Sorry all, just wanted a little early morning chuckles; threads like this can get soooo stiff sometimes.
Please carry on with Reavon stuff!

If I may mention my rig one more time (to comment on the Reavon on CEC), the sony and marantz av 8805a work via hfmi 2.1 earc faster than any control can, controlling with the sony backlit remote both the 103 and 203, as fully functioning jukeboxes, oh the tidal inside tv app has the correct volume and has zero dropouts, disney, hbomax, prime and all the video apps wipe the floor with the pq of appletv. I was delighted to see that Kris tested mkv's, dsf and multichannel flacs on both Reavons. Was ready to place an order on Monday BUT UPON checking the manual CEC addresses only power on and off. Reavon is only half hour from me I am going to ask if this is something they would consider adding, with the new Sony 100" dropping in price from 80 to 20g, this is an exciting prospect for super hi performance mini immersive systems using the Reavon as a Jukebox.

Back