New Yes album "The Quest" out in October! (5.1 Blu-ray confirmed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I do believe it's a common trend for all those Rockers or great tunesmiths from the 70's and 80's...even the A+ list artists ...... They peaked and to borrow a term had 'writers block!' Even Billy Joel admits he hasn't released an album of originals since the mid 90's and uses the term "I said all I had to say!'

When that MUSE just isn't there anymore ..... you end up with FILLER!
I remember seeing Eric Clapton on a video interview, I was surprised when he said, there is not a lot of incentive to write a new song when all the good songs have already been written.

(Why was this thread closed for a few seconds? 🧐)

Clapton is somebody who can get away with it - he has done covers all his life; some of his most famous moments are songs written by others. But a few years ago he was still writing entire albums so I do wonder what triggered that writing block. Then again, there have been long stretches without Yes music.

By contrast, Deep Purple are releasing a cover album but they have been very productive in the last few years. They are still creating in the way that, I think, would also push Yes to make better albums, i.e. by jamming together as a complete band and working the music out like that.

I remember seeing Eric Clapton on a video interview, I was surprised when he said, there is not a lot of incentive to write a new song when all the good songs have already been written.
I saw an interview with Steve Winwood somewhere about when he and Clapton got together a few years ago for their concert at Madison Square Gardens. He said he quickly decided that since Clapton had much more output than him, they would do mostly Clapton stuff.
That surprised hell out of me. I think they are both phenomenal musicians, but more of Winwood's music on the concert BD would have been "just alright" with me. I mean I don't know any age difference between them off the top of my head, but Steve was working with Traffic when he was basically a kid, right?
Look, I love Clapton and think he's been a pretty phenomenal person since he got off the liquor and all many years ago. But to me at these Guitar festival events he puts on it's always the same stuff over and over. I can't criticize it too heavily since I love it all. ...and it always seems like he can step in and play with anyone. The skill is still there, the song writing chops maybe not so much. But here again he's not a young 60 year old anymore by a stretch. (and neither am I)

“Rant Ahead !”

How the F.... could Yes listen to their playback of the absolute twee song about The Beatles and decide that that track, Mystery Tour, should be on their new album !
I’ve been listening to Yes for nearly 50 years, but this song ( and album) is a disgrace to the historic recordings they have previously done.
Retire ....enjoy sitting around like old men do ...your time is up !

“Rant Ahead !”

How the F.... could Yes listen to their playback of the absolute twee song about The Beatles and decide that that track, Mystery Tour, should be on their new album !
I’ve been listening to Yes for nearly 50 years, but this song ( and album) is a disgrace to the historic recordings they have previously done.
So does that mean you don't care for it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't sure just what to expect after all the trash talk. Probably slow but moments of interest? Maybe some guitar moment?

This is just disgracefully bad. Soft rock sounding background recorded to a click track. Not a single moment of anything to say to grab your attention. Automated sounding background drek. The worst songs from my least favorite Yes albums before this would be far more interesting to listen to. The first track reminded me of Europe - The Final Countdown but not as interesting.

The mix doesn't even matter. It's decent sounding. It's real surround with discrete elements and full sound. The mastering presentation is on point with no damaging hype. A waste.

“Rant Ahead !”

We old people may sit more (or not), but we can be deviously treacherous.
We just can't remember half of what we once knew, and what did I have for breakast and is today Thursday?

“Rant Ahead !”

In fairness, that's an extra track and not part of the album, but I share your opinion that it is a clunker.

Back