Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is interesting. I thought the bitrate was the same for Apple and Tidal streaming atmos - is this correct? If the bitrate is the same; what is the story with the volume? Are the files fundamentally different?
Bitrate has no impact on volume. The files are likely the same, but I'm guessing there is a dialnorm of -10db being applied on Tidal and not on Apple Music. Tidal sounds great, and you can make up the -10db deficit by simply boosting your volume 10db. To compare Tidal v. AM just have to level match to Apple which is easier said than done.

Last edited:
I'm really liking having 61 songs in atmos. o_O 😲 What a bargain. All sets should include all their extras in atmos like this.

Do all the songs have new atmos mixes. I assume besides the main album the bonus tracks like raw mixes etc. are just the 5.1 mixes from the box set?

I'm really liking having 61 songs in atmos. o_O 😲 What a bargain. All sets should include all their extras in atmos like this.

I actually don't understand making Atmos versions of demos/out takes, raw studio recordings, etc.). Isn't the point to hear the raw unprocessed works in progress, why should we hear them each interpreted with different surround instrument placements, etc.

I actually don't understand making Atmos versions of demos/out takes, raw studio recordings, etc.). Isn't the point to hear the raw unprocessed works in progress, why should we hear them each interpreted with different surround instrument placements, etc.
That’s what I enjoy about it. You get to basically hear what each musician is doing like sitting in a room with them figuring things out

Forgive if it’s been answered, but does anyone else find it hard to find what is or isn’t in ATMOS or surround? There doesn’t seem to be any consistency. For example, the 2019 Abbey Road Super Deluxe remix is available. The main album has an ATMOS mix, but when you look at the page with album artwork and list of songs, it doesn’t show ATMOS, just Lossless and Apple Digital Master. However, my Marantz shows and plays it as ATMOS?

Forgive if it’s been answered, but does anyone else find it hard to find what is or isn’t in ATMOS or surround? There doesn’t seem to be any consistency. For example, the 2019 Abbey Road Super Deluxe remix is available. The main album has an ATMOS mix, but when you look at the page with album artwork and list of songs, it doesn’t show ATMOS, just Lossless and Apple Digital Master. However, my Marantz shows and plays it as ATMOS?

Yes, we do.

An album doesn't get the Atmos badge unless EVERY track on the album is Atmos, so albums with bonus tracks, demos, etc. often don't show it. The most useful link for finding new things at this point seems to be.

https://music.apple.com/us/curator/apple-music-spatial-audio/1564180390
New albums are listed there and there are links to all the "Featured Playlists" where you can scour for new tracks, etc.

Yes, we do.

An album doesn't get the Atmos badge unless EVERY track on the album is Atmos, so albums with bonus tracks, demos, etc. often don't show it. The most useful link for finding new things at this point seems to be.

https://music.apple.com/us/curator/apple-music-spatial-audio/1564180390
New albums are listed there and there are links to all the "Featured Playlists" where you can scour for new tracks, etc.
Thanks, that helps.

There are a lot of recordings that long have had surround mixes, but they don’t show up as available in spatial audio. For example Rough Mix, Townsend and Lane. Or Joshua Loves Ruth, Lyle Lovett. I had high hopes that the great surround mixes from the early 2000’s on out of print media like dvd a or SACD will make their way onto this service. Anyone know if it will happen?

Do all the songs have new atmos mixes. I assume besides the main album the bonus tracks like raw mixes etc. are just the 5.1 mixes from the box set?

yes, all 61 songs show as atmos on my avr, I listened to all of them last night for hours.

As much as I don't really care for Yoko Ono, between this and the Gimme some Truth and Plastic Ono Band atmos box sets, Yoko has single handedly supplied more atmos songs than any other artist, by far, so I have to give her credit for that.

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps.

There are a lot of recordings that long have had surround mixes, but they don’t show up as available in spatial audio. For example Rough Mix, Townsend and Lane. Or Joshua Loves Ruth, Lyle Lovett. I had high hopes that the great surround mixes from the early 2000’s on out of print media like dvd a or SACD will make their way onto this service. Anyone know if it will happen?
Predicting Apple is pretty much impossible. Sometimes you think they’d do something that would be a slam dunk and they go the other way. That being said, it seems like they will, but it will either be in a slow rollout like the new albums we get each week in Atmos, or an all at once drop they can do a marketing blitz around (they have an Apple Music ad campaign pushing Spatial Audio).

At the moment there are two distinct formats under the Spatial Audio label Apple uses: Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio. Dolby Audio’s icon when tapped claims it’s a “surround sound format containing 5.1 and 7.1”. And we’re seeing a few older albums with existing surround and quad mixes showing up. Just a few however. That leads me to think these are tests before another push, but who knows.

yes, all 61 songs show as atmos on my avr, I listened to all of them last night for hours.

As much as I don't really care for Yoko Ono, between this and the Gimme some Truth and Plastic Ono Band atmos box sets, Yoko has single handedly supplied more atmos songs than any other artist, by far, so I have to give her credit for that.

Although listed as Atmos do the bonus tracks have sounds from the height speakers?

:unsure: What is the appropriate way to present raw unmixed mulitracks as “works in process”? By definition, multitracks need to be mixed to some sort of playback format(s).

I don’t see how Atmos is any less a valid presentation than mixing previously unmixed multis to mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, or whatever.

:unsure: What is the appropriate way to present raw unmixed mulitracks as “works in process”? By definition, multitracks need to be mixed to some sort of playback format(s).

I don’t see how Atmos is any less a valid presentation than mixing previously unmixed multis to mono, stereo, quad, 5.1, or whatever.

I guess I do see the value in using multiple channels to separate things out if there are multi tracks to work with, it just seems odd to have a demo with different instrument placements than a "take n" than the final mix.

Thanks, that helps.

Apple can’t just put them on their Apple Music. They need to negotiate licensing for each one. That’s literally hundreds, perhaps thousands, of negotiations. That means lawyers, egos, money, labels, estates, locating the surround masters, determining current ownership rights, streaming exclusivity, etc. Some will be easy, some will be difficult, some impossible.

For newer releases/acts, it’s probably built into the process. But for older legacy acts/albums, it could take longer...much longer. I’m actually surprised they’ve been able to roll out as many older albums as they have (as relatively few there are).

I guess I do see the value in using multiple channels to separate things out if there are multi tracks to work with, it just seems odd to have a demo with different instrument placements than a "take n" than the final mix.
Imagine was recorded in 1971. Pretty much everything which was recorded in the studio - alternate takes, raw studio mixes (whatever that means), etc - would have been recorded to at least 8 track tape (possibly with bounces to create even more stems).

I don’t know what you mean by “odd to have a demo with different instrument placements”. Unless it’s a mono demo recording, nothing has an instrument placement until it’s mixed (or at least balanced in the case of a two track recording).

Nevertheless, listening to the Imagine demos - which were probably recorded mono - while they may technically be Atmos, they have a silent center and are just L+R mono with a hair of fake ambiance added. You wouldn’t really notice they aren’t mono unless you turn off the other speakers. So they actually sound pretty much like you would expect from a old mono demo recording.

Last edited:
Back