The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This new 2021 CD release Aligator's 50th Anniversary 3 disc stereo set is really good. Would be considered contemporary Blues as it does not include any of the older cats, BB King, etc.
Super good blend of Blues from the 80's (?) to present.
DR's are from the 5's to the 11's.
A must for the blues lover.View attachment 68338
I was looking at this one a few days a go, I have the 25th Anniversary 2xCD set, and was wondering shall I get this? Seeing your recommendation I have it on its way, along with Stone Sour's first (love the track Bother).

ROUNDER RECORDS,, a division of Concord Records and Universal Music is having a fabulous 4th of July Sale with bluegrass artists and artists as diverse as Boz Scaggs, Santana, Sergio Mendes, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Elvis Costello, Chris Hillman, Gregg Allmann, etc. S/H charges are minimal and I wasn't even charged sales tax. LOTS of VINYL, as well! Ordering is easy: Here's the Link:

https://store.rounder.com/collectio...-90809039&mc_cid=b4460752a2&mc_eid=fc97772163
One particular bargain is this wonderful Alison Krauss and Union Station LIVE 2 disc DVD set [DTS 5.1] which Amazon is currently charging $24 for:

https://store.rounder.com/collections/4th-of-july-sale/products/alison-krauss-union-station-live-dvd

Last edited:
lately...
Live in NYC '97 - Johnny Winter CD
Hoodoo Man Blues - Junior Wells 2ch SACD
Like Never Before - Taj Mahal CD
Bluesbreakers - Mayall w/Clapton German CD
Three Kings and a Queen LP - Viictoria Spivey, Roosevelt Sykes, Big Joe Williams, Lonnie Johnson & Bob Dylan:

https://www.discogs.com/Roosevelt-S...vey-Three-Kings-And-The-Queen/release/2700207
Spivey is depicted w/Dylan from these sessions on the back of the New Morning LP.

I was browsing Acoustic Sounds and notice they have a handful of SACD stereo blues titles for $5 each. I'll probably go ahead and order them, just becasue they're cheap.

1625602286552.png

Another good stumble upon. Blues-Hybrid SACD-Stereo.
This is with Double Trouble, performed live at Blue Heaven Studios, and if that is not enough Eddie Kramer is the engineer.
12 tracks, DR's are 12's and 13's. A 2004 release.
View attachment 70418
Wow, never knew or heard about this one. Love Jimmy D Lane and am sorry I missed this one when it was released!

lately:

King of the Delta Blues - Charlie Patton Yazoo CD

Complete Blind Willie Johnson 2 CD

Boogie Honky Tonk - Roosevelt Sykes Dutch LP Oldie Blues

Belafonte Sings the Blues Gold CD

Strong Persuader - Robert Cray CD

Reefer Songs CD Jass 7

Folk Singer - Muddy Waters single layer SACD

A Long Time Comin' - Electric Flag Japan Blu-Spec 2 CD in my 10 fave albums
Bloomfield, Goldberg, Gravenites, Buddy Miles guests: Richie Havens, Paul Beaver, Sivuca

The Door - Keb' Mo 2ch single layer SACD
bonus RBCD w/2ch Tower Records RBCD:

https://www.discogs.com/Keb-Mo-The-Door/release/5856588

The Collection - Johnny Winter French CD CBS compilation

Hoodoo in My Soul - King Biscuit Boy RIP (Richard Newell) Netherlands CD "The cat can play harp!" - Keith Richards

Frank Stokes' Dream The Memphis Blues 1927-31 Yazoo CD Memphis Minnie, Frank Stokes, Furry Lewis & more

Lonesome Road Blues 1926-41 Yazoo CD Big Joe Williams, Skip James, Robert Lockwood & more

Listened to today

Ten Years After - Ten Years After (mono CD from new Box Set) - brilliant album

Disc-1 of Alligator Records - 50 Years Of Genuine Houserockin' music - some great tracks and reminded me I hadn't listened to my Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown or Roy Buchanan for a long while! Its Disc-2 tomorrow, Disc-3 on Thursday.

Dorian Michael - Acoustic Blues AIX Records
As usual for Mark Waldrep, an incredible sounding 5.1 channel disc!
One of those smash recordings that make your ears perk up with the sound of real instruments coming from the speakers, a "got to own" disc.
The style is a bit more jazz than blues but that just adds to the attraction.
folder.jpg

John Lee Hooker - Hooker And The Hogs.
Now here's some old school, hard core blues presented by one of the masters.
Captured in 24/96 5.1 sound that will slap you upside your head with matching grit from Hookers voice and his axe. Beware as that axe can kill. Sad that all the greats of that generation are gone or going, but then so am I. :mad:
folder.jpg

Dorian Michael - Acoustic Blues AIX Records
As usual for Mark Waldrep, an incredible sounding 5.1 channel disc!
One of those smash recordings that make your ears perk up with the sound of real instruments coming from the speakers, a "got to own" disc.
The style is a bit more jazz than blues but that just adds to the attraction.
View attachment 72509

John Lee Hooker - Hooker And The Hogs.
Now here's some old school, hard core blues presented by one of the masters.
Captured in 24/96 5.1 sound that will slap you upside your head with matching grit from Hookers voice and his axe. Beware as that axe can kill. Sad that all the greats of that generation are gone or going, but then so am I. :mad:
View attachment 72510
I am a massive Groundhogs fan (I have every album in lots of formats!), and consequently John Lee Hooker. Many many moons ago (it was that long ago I had hair!) I discovered that 1965s Hooker & The Hogs had been pressed as an LP, no record store had, it was way out of print. For years I scoured the pages of Record Collector and only saw it a couple of times but more than could I afford at the time. Then around 2003 I saw it on DVD-Audio and the elusive music was mine, all mine :SG

I'm currently waiting for the re-pressed LPs of "Split" and "Who Will Save the World" and a CD of "Road Hogs: Live From Richmond To Pocono", I'd already bought the new pressing of "Thank Christ For The Bomb". Albums available on bandcamp Music | The Groundhogs (bandcamp.com)

Back