Music DVD Poll Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2010 Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the 5.1 mix of "Tubular Bells"

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & observations on this new version of Tubular Bells
Mike_Oldfield_Tubular_Bells.jpgMike_Oldfield_Tubular_Bells_Back.jpg

Last edited:
very good surround mix from the original tapes. Much more adventurous that I had expected.

Looses a mark for being only Dulby Digital and not DTS

To be honest, I think there have been so many reissues/remixes of this classic I don't rate the 5.1 at all!! Why issue yet another stereo mix and the original again? I'm glad I bought the larger box set with the demos on, with the booklet and poster and the vinyl. The DVD version of second house has been around for years, but I spose not everyone has seen it.

Overall it's okay, but we've been spoilt over the years with remixes of TB 1. I always go for the first version as that's what I know.

I picked this up in Fame in Amsterdam yesterday. Having both the Quad mix SACD and the 2003 Re-recorded DVDA I like this the best. The mix is subtle but everywhere and complements the music. There is a warmth to the sound that was missing on all other versions. I wouldn't have noticed the fact it was AC3 until I read it here (there was nothing to select). It sounds fabulous on my Universal Oppo BDP80 but then nearly everything does.

Unrelated to the music the item I have really enjoyed with this disc is the animated graphic of the cover that acts as a screen saver and compliments the work perfectly. Neil (hint hint), if its possible with DVD-A's (and if they are being reworked), I would love to see something like this on the forthcoming Crimsons. Beck did something similar with the DVD-A's of 'Seachange' and 'Guero'.

This TV isn't subject to screen burn but most of the other screens I use are. I find I avoid SACD's and DTS CD's on the Oppo as the screen saver doesn't activate while the Title display is on and the image is mostly static for the period of the album. It not as bad but there is limited movement with with many DVD-A's and audio DVD-V's. I could up and turn the picture off but I find it a nuisance to reorganise everything every time I change a disc. Too much work. This is an artistic solution to the audio that is an evolution on holding a 12" cover in your hands while listening to the original record.

I've never been a fan of the other two re-releases but I'm going off now to hunt them down based on the quality of this.

Channelar, when you have purchased the Ommadawn deluxe set, play the "lost version" on disc 2. Watch out for the Viv Stanshall like Joke conversation. Brilliant in 4 channel!! Mike always hides something in his releases.

Thanks for the tip... I went out to attempt to purchase the other two Deluxe Mike Oldfield editions yesterday. I managed to acquire 'Hergest Ridge' but unfortunately 'Ommadawn' was sold out and further stock is not expected for two weeks. Pretty amazing as they had an abundant supply mid week. Now on a quest.

I bought this when it first came out. I was intrigued with the idea of how much of a remix this would be (Oldfield had already done this a time or two before), and he did it right this time. The original quad sounded very cluttered; the beginning just sort of faded in, and he played around with quad effects a lot more. The first remix, as heard in the "Boxed" box set (and also the quad SACD), did unclutter the sound somewhat. The 2010 5.1 remix balanced the elements of the work a bit more, and brought out some more of the detail the other mixes didn't. The downside is the use of Dolby Digital only for the surround sound. His subsequent remixes, of "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn" included DTS.

I really like this mix. I’d only ever owned it on a cassette from the early eighties and that got a lot of use so this is obviously a great improvement for me. I think the surround is pretty good and having miss the opportunity of picking up the sacd version it’ll do nicely. The extras included are great especially the Second House live performance and the 5.1 drunken wander around the manor, entertaining. I give it a solid 9.

I really like this mix. I’d only ever owned it on a cassette from the early eighties and that got a lot of use so this is obviously a great improvement for me. I think the surround is pretty good and having miss the opportunity of picking up the sacd version it’ll do nicely. The extras included are great especially the Second House live performance and the 5.1 drunken wander around the manor, entertaining. I give it a solid 9.
I'll have to revisit the extras on this. Sounds fun.
There are two live performances on the 2003 DVD-A that are also worth checking out.
This version has > 10 votes now! It's legit!

I'll have to revisit the extras on this. Sounds fun.
There are two live performances on the 2003 DVD-A that are also worth checking out.
This version has > 10 votes now! It's legit!
Hey Baggie, I just put The Sailor’s Hornpipe (Vic Stanshall version) on for a laugh and it’s a very discreet mix as is Mike’s single. Also the actual discs are obviously robbed from the bigger box set because disc three is labeled disc four!

Hey Baggie, I just put The Sailor’s Hornpipe (Vic Stanshall version) on for a laugh and it’s a very discreet mix as is Mike’s single. Also the actual discs are obviously robbed from the bigger box set because disc three is labeled disc four!
Mine is labeled disc 3. I might have a later run, made after the disc 4's were all used up!

I just looked at Discogs and they don’t actually mention any having the fourth disc as disc 3. I noticed one of the labels listed as disc 3 which has the video footage from The Old Gray Whistle Test and the BBC’s 2nd House. Mine only says 2nd house. Is your copy the one with the plastic slipcase (as mine is) or do you have the tape belly band?

I just looked at Discogs and they don’t actually mention any having the fourth disc as disc 3. I noticed one of the labels listed as disc 3 which has the video footage from The Old Gray Whistle Test and the BBC’s 2nd House. Mine only says 2nd house. Is your copy the one with the plastic slipcase (as mine is) or do you have the tape belly band?
The latter

I bought this when it first came out. I was intrigued with the idea of how much of a remix this would be (Oldfield had already done this a time or two before), and he did it right this time. The original quad sounded very cluttered; the beginning just sort of faded in, and he played around with quad effects a lot more. The first remix, as heard in the "Boxed" box set (and also the quad SACD), did unclutter the sound somewhat. The 2010 5.1 remix balanced the elements of the work a bit more, and brought out some more of the detail the other mixes didn't. The downside is the use of Dolby Digital only for the surround sound. His subsequent remixes, of "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn" included DTS.

Mike Oldfield had nothing to do with any of the original 1970s multi channel mixes of Tubular Bells. By the "original quad" I think you mean the one that was an upmix from the stereo which came out on CD-4 in the UK. The SQ encoded in "Boxed" set and on the quad SACD was mixed (and some parts re-recorded since they were missing from the multi tracks) by an engineer, as described in great detail in the booklet in the SACD. Mike just listened to it, didn't want any changes, and it went out of the door. It was meant to be a demo so some liberties were taken, it was assumed Mike would want changes. Mike Oldfield wasn't involved in any of the multi channel mixes of Tubular Bells until the 2010 5.1 remix.

My copy is the one with the plastic slip case too and the DVD is labelled disc 3...wonder why yours is labelled 4, that's weird.

Back