Dutton Vocalion: What's Next?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im so ignorant I do not know who those composers are.
I like Gounods Faust but one by Havergal Brian?

At least the spigot is open again.
They're mostly pretty obscure. Havergal Brian is best-known (to the extent he's known) for his massive "Gothic" Symphony. I think these releases are almost entirely first recordings, continuing Dutton's trend of recording obscure works by major composers and major works by obscure composers.

That's something of a disappointment. I've got shelves full of recordings of obscure works (many of them rightly so) - including Havergal Brian - not sure I need any more.
I imagine more is coming in future slates - they've typically alternated new recordings, pop, and classical reissues. These may have also been easier to work on during Covid times - I'm guessing the recording sessions were in 2019 for many of these so they could take their time editing.

Got the latest releases e-mail notice in; and noticed a comment about reviews (never noticed that option before.):

"Reviews
We’re always appreciative of customer feedback, so if you’ve any comments about our releases, please take the time to post a review on our website. It’s easy: just click on the relevant product page, scroll halfway down, and click on the “Click to review this product” link. Alternatively, you can post reviews on any of our product pages on the Amazon and eBay websites. Either way, we’d love to hear from you.

Thank you,
The Dutton Vocalion team"

Got the latest releases e-mail notice in; and noticed a comment about reviews (never noticed that option before.):

"Reviews
We’re always appreciative of customer feedback, so if you’ve any comments about our releases, please take the time to post a review on our website. It’s easy: just click on the relevant product page, scroll halfway down, and click on the “Click to review this product” link. Alternatively, you can post reviews on any of our product pages on the Amazon and eBay websites. Either way, we’d love to hear from you.

Thank you,
The Dutton Vocalion team"
I should post the videos I've done about them!

Can't wait to see your Dutton Epoch Classical Video Reviews, Mike:

Sample:

"His command of the Oboe ..... literally took my breath away!"

HOT STUFF!
I submitted one for All American Boy/Spring Fever. We'll see if they approve it.
I'm grossly unqualified to review classical music...

I submitted one for All American Boy/Spring Fever. We'll see if they approve it.
I'm grossly unqualified to review classical music...

Well it's NEVER TOO LATE to lay down your guitar/drum set and take up the FORTEPIANO!

See the source image

Possibly beating a dead horse, but I still think providing the Quad/MCH [SACD] mix as QS encoded stereo on the CD layer would help sales (the stereo mixes of the DV MCH SACDs have been available in a variety of formats for many years, another release probably isn't needed), this would be a way for CD listeners to hear the Quad/MCH mix wo/MCH SACD players [and to use the DynaQuad speaker matrix to partially decode the QS encoding].

The new all digital/software QS encoder could be used, thereby minimizing added noise and distortion.

Kirk Bayne

Possibly beating a dead horse, but I still think providing the Quad/MCH [SACD] mix as QS encoded stereo on the CD layer would help sales (the stereo mixes of the DV MCH SACDs have been available in a variety of formats for many years, another release probably isn't needed), this would be a way for CD listeners to hear the Quad/MCH mix wo/MCH SACD players [and to use the DynaQuad speaker matrix to partially decode the QS encoding].

The new all digital/software QS encoder could be used, thereby minimizing added noise and distortion.

Kirk Bayne
You've got to be kidding? I've struggled for four decades to get where we are now. FOUR DECADES and not one day shorter. I don't care what CD listeners who want their stereo in stereo think about me and my 5.1 channel DISCREET playback chain and might consider what they are missing when they see those outputs and never bothered to check out what they do. I'd quit buying multichannel before I'll accept a matrixed system. I won't even accept it as an additional layer added just for them.

Last edited:
The DV MCH SACDs would be exactly the same, the MCH SACD layer would be the discrete Quad mix and the CD layer would repeat the Quad mix, but QS encoded stereo (this might be a selling point: "hear the Quad mix on your regular CD player").

DV has already decided to include the CD layer on their SACDs, IMHO, my idea would add value to the CD layer (my view of matrix Quad is that it is stereo and a half [IIRC, a phrase coined by Louis Dorren, advocate of discrete Quad], but still, sometimes it's worth paying for that extra half). :)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Back