What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When was this show? Some friends said they seen him perform on some TV show recently and he was horrible. Way past time to retire from live shows, too bad.

Recent TV appearance probably the 911 performance of 1 song if not that don't know

Last edited:
1632448647547.jpeg

Burt Bacharach - A Life In Song on blu ray in 5.1

Also watched the included DVD of his music videos in DTS 5.1 which sound surprisingly good!

They sound great! And the videos are pretty cool too, though some better than others. Already had the original disc- which had the DTS mixed about 40 db too low, so it was nice to get a corrected disc. But I love that disc too- besides Up, the only solo Gabriel we get with a true 5.1 mix. Either one of those discs was well worth the purchase price- and we got them both!

From the peanut gallery...a Ray Wilson appreciation thread should be started...or not! but seriously, I think CAS is a hugely underrated album...and I really like his "Gabrielesque" voice....

A Jan 31st 1998 Genesis concert from Katowicze..they even played a great cover of "The Lamb lies down..."!

Last edited:
From the peanut galler...a Ray Wilson appreciation thread should be started...or not! but seriously, I think CAS is a hugely underrated album...and I really like his "Gabrielesque" voice....

A Jan 31st 1998 Genesis concert from Katowicze..they even played a great cover of "The Lamb lies down..."!

Agreed. And the 5.1 SACD is absolutely Yummy !!! I have that DVD.also. Very enjoyable. I like the preconcert shots of Polish snow

From the peanut galler...a Ray Wilson appreciation thread should be started...or not! but seriously, I think CAS is a hugely underrated album...and I really like his "Gabrielesque" voice....

1634351573069.png

If you're a fan, this one's great imo.

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing "The Very Best..." DVD.

To me probably the best sounding version of "Sultans Of Swing" of all the LPs and CDs I've heard with crisp treble and solid bass, and dynamic punch.

direst-sultansdvd.jpg

Sparks Live In London. Part of the excellent "The Sparks Brothers" Blu-ray set. It's only in stereo but the concert is such fun that you don't notice that the audience have not been relegated to the rears. Add in the terrific documentary and this package is a real winner. (y)

I found an East Troy, WI August 1985 Perfect Strangers Tour show...dang, most concerts from this tour suffer from Ian's voice been shot...this one is no different...it's not as bad as the Paris one , but still...

78B2B507-C66C-4292-BBA2-F769EE0D4D5E.jpeg
Elvis Costello & The Imposters-
The Return of the Spectacular Spinning Songbook!!!

Great show!
Picture quality on this DVD is excellent, almost Bluray like.
Maybe it’s my imagination but I swear the 2.0 sound in 48k Dolby Digital is better than the accompanying CD.

Last edited:
Myra Melford, 12 from 25 (Firehouse 12 Records, 2018). Melford is one of my favorite living jazz pianists; I think she gets overlooked amidst all the (justified) accolades for slightly younger peers like Vijay Iyer and Jason Moran. She skews "avant," or maybe "inside/out" (she's kind of an AACM baby), but her sensibility is also deeply rooted in blues and stride, and she can spin beautiful melodies and swing when she wants to. The videos on this Blu-Ray--shot in high-def with 5.1 sound--were recorded during a prestigious weeklong residency at John Zorn's old East Village club, The Stone (which has since moved to the New School campus), in 2015. The mixes are nothing special: The Stone was tiny, so there's not much to be done about bleed between mics. And oddly, for the group numbers, Melford's piano tends to be focused in the rears or even the left rear. But the sound is great, and at 35 bucks, I think this disc is a bargain: twelve documents of Melford in collaboration with different groups she's led and friends she's partnered with over a (then) twenty-five-year career.
https://firehouse12records.com/album/12-from-25
https://www.sfcv.org/articles/feature/essential-myra-melford

Last edited:
Back