Problems playing MKA files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried a smart phone or tablet app to run Kodi? No need to use its menus then.

Harmony Hub Companion remote over Bluetooth works surprising well after moving away from IR.

Here‘s my ratings out of 100 for devices to control Kodi:

Keyboard/Mouse: 30
Remote Control: 60
Smart Phone: 80
Tablet (iPad): 100

I’m Not sure how anyone could use a keyboard and mouse with Kodi, it’s pretty clunky.

IR or Wireless Remote is a huge improvement but interrupts the current concert or video when navigating on screen. Even navigation in Kodi using a Remote is not great.

Smart Phone/Tablets all allow full navigation of you music library on the device and does not interrupt the current playi back. Much easier to get around artist/albums etc as these apps have their own views on the library. With a normal remote You must click up and down lists (on everything), smart phone apps is a touch screen experience, faster and easier:

Take a look at the iPhone screen shots in This post:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nstall-configure-on-windows.30683/post-570621
A tablet has bigger screen for easier navigation. IPad has an amazing Kodi Music Remote app ($5) that allows Queuing of tracks, changing que playback order, searches the internet for current artist etc. It’s another world again.

Keyboard/Mouse: 30
Remote Control: 60
Smart Phone: 80
Tablet (iPad): 100

I’m Not sure how anyone could use a keyboard and mouse with Kodi, it’s pretty clunky.

IR or Wireless Remote is a huge improvement but interrupts the current concert or video when navigating on screen. Even navigation in Kodi using a Remote is not great.

Smart Phone/Tablets all allow full navigation of you music library on the device and does not interrupt the current playi back. Much easier to get around artist/albums etc as these apps have their own views on the library. With a normal remote You must click up and down lists (on everything), smart phone apps is a touch screen experience, faster and easier:

Take a look at the iPhone screen shots in This post:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nstall-configure-on-windows.30683/post-570621
A tablet has bigger screen for easier navigation. IPad has an amazing Kodi Music Remote app ($5) that allows Queuing of tracks, changing que playback order, searches the internet for current artist etc. It’s another world again.

Sometimes a big tablet is too clunky for the task. Options are good.

Do any of those options offer presenting the library in a cascading file system like I've shown earlier, or Foobar2000 even? I very much dislike that clunky large icons system. :mad: :p

foobar.JPG

There’s a short video capturing my iPad screen running an iOS app for playing Kodi Music. It’s not the best demo but you’ll get the idea (touch screen navigation and creating a temporary play list). You can select an album and play it immediately or add it to the play queue easily.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...yback-features-and-hardware.22375/post-357187
The other smart phone/tablet apps display scrollable lists of artists and albums.

There’s a short video capturing my iPad screen running an iOS app for playing Kodi Music. It’s not the best demo but you’ll get the idea (touch screen navigation and creating a temporary play list). You can select an album and play it immediately or add it to the play queue easily.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...yback-features-and-hardware.22375/post-357187
The other smart phone/tablet apps display scrollable lists of artists and albums.
Thanks Gary, that's a big improvement. Real fancy stuff there, even gives a weather report. I'll have to play with it to see if I can get something a little more along my tastes since it's the only player I can get to run Atmos in Linux. My VLC build doesn't offer the options it would need.
I'm not too strong on the technology, but it does confuse me that I can configure both Strawberry and Cantata to deliver a unmolested bit perfect data stream to my Marantz AV7703 but I can't get Atmos thru it?

Thanks Gary, that's a big improvement. Real fancy stuff there, even gives a weather report. I'll have to play with it to see if I can get something a little more along my tastes since it's the only player I can get to run Atmos in Linux. My VLC build doesn't offer the options it would need.
I'm not too strong on the technology, but it does confuse me that I can configure both Strawberry and Cantata to deliver a unmolested bit perfect data stream to my Marantz AV7703 but I can't get Atmos thru it?

I prefer Kodi but I also use jRiver to change things up. Have you tried it?

I prefer Kodi but I also use jRiver to change things up.
On a Linux install? Will it run Atmos? My understanding is that the Linux build is pretty ruff and you have to pay $60 for it, or $80 for a license you can run on all three platforms. I'm perfectly happy with my media players except for only being able to run Atmos in Kodi.
But like all things Linux, I'm sure someone will hack Atmos compatibility in time. Patience really is a virtue. ;)
I got to install Gary's skin for Kodi, it looks very promising.

Hi everyone. I just posted a query up on kodi but I wondered if anyone here can help too

Hi

I've just played a 7.1 Atmos album through Kodi 19.2 on both Windows and Android and on both, the progress bar is jumping while still playing the music normally. I've seen a couple of old threads about this but can't seem to find a solution, although I tried changing Kodi display to 1080p from 2160p and that made no difference.

Can anyone help please? Also, if it says DolbyHD 7.1, is that Atmos - it's not specifically meant to say Atmos is it?

Thanks
James

The Progress Bar jumping while playing Atmos has been an issue in Kodi for a while. I’ve been meaning to report the bug but never done so. It also jumps when playing Atmos in .m4a files (my preferred method since .m4a files support standard tagging that Kodi reads into its music library while .mka uses a tagging system that’s unsupported in Kodi (and most other players).

Your 2nd question on displaying ‘Atmos’. That maybe skin dependant if you are asking about Kodi displaying ‘Atmos’? I’m not sure as I’ve customised my Aeon Nox Silvo skin to display ‘Atmos’ and other codec information. Your AVR will display ‘Atmos’ if you are playing an Atmos stream in Kodi using HDMI pass-through.

Last edited:
The Progress Bar jumping while playing Atmos has been an issue in Kodi for a while. I’ve been meaning to report the bug but never done so. It also jumps when playing Atmos in .m4a files (my preferred method since .m4a files support standard tagging that Kodi reads into its music library while .mka uses a tagging system that’s unsupported in Kodi (and most other players).

You 2nd question on displaying ‘Atmos’. That maybe skin dependant if you are asking about Kodi displaying ‘Atmos’? I’m not sure as I’ve customised my Aeon Nox Silvo skin to display ‘Atmos’ and other codec information. Your AVR will display ‘Atmos’ if you are playing an Atmos stream in Kodi using HDMI pass-through.

thanks for this reply too. Yes I’m using m4a too and I’m glad to hear it’s not something I’m doing anyway. Would be great if it gets resolved in a future update so if you can report it as a bug that’s good.

You 2nd question on displaying ‘Atmos’. That maybe skin dependant if you are asking about Kodi displaying ‘Atmos’? I’m not sure as I’ve customised my Aeon Nox Silvo skin to display ‘Atmos’ and other codec information. Your AVR will display ‘Atmos’ if you are playing an Atmos stream in Kodi using HDMI pass-through.

Ah I’d never noticed it said atmos on my avr - cheers for that!

I’ll raise a PR with Kodi today.

I just tested the progress bar issue on my PC with 19.1 and 19.2 with and its running smoothly.

@Radsen What platform and skin are you running? My LibreElec (Kodi 19) used to have this issue, play progress jumping. I haven't re-tested today though. Will do that shortly.

I just tested the progress bar issue on my PC with 19.1 and 19.2 with and its running smoothly.

@Radsen What platform and skin are you running? My LibreElec (Kodi 19) used to have this issue, play progress jumping. I haven't re-tested today though. Will do that shortly.

No issues here either on 19.2.
I am using Plex to serve up the MKA files using the Kodi add-on PlexKodiConnect.
Gapless playback is why I use MKA rather than M4A, although I haven't tested M4A since moving to Kodi Matrix.

I get the issue on windows 10 and nvidia shield both on 19.2 and the files are m4a. Using the standard kodi player, build and skin

I get the issue on windows 10 and nvidia shield both on 19.2 and the files are m4a. Using the standard kodi player, build and skin

Also, I've just realised that although I believe I've followed the guide correctly - https://reva.blob.core.windows.net/mmh4/PDFs/How to Convert Atmos Blurays to Audio Files.pdf - I don't appear to be ripping m4a files correctly. If I rip the same file to 7.1 flac there is a lot of sound coming from my rear speakers whereas ripping to m4a says it is giving me Atmos sound, but there is barely any sound coming from the rears. I'm not sure what could be going wrong there.

I didn’t get the problem yesterday with Windows 10, Kodi 19.2 and .m4a using a couple of PC monitors.

What screen are you using? What refresh rate is your screen set to?

Back