Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraftwerk.......... Minimum - Maximum

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-17 a las 12.19.33.png

Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark (1974) and The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975), in excellent conversions from CD4. These mark the start of what for me is the height of Joni's career (through Mingus, with Hejira at the apex). If you told me I could wave a magic wand and revive the Quadio program with two more titles, well, these would be the ones. I must have a half-dozen different conversions, some from Q8, some CD4, of each album, and while I still haven't found the perfect one, these are close. (I don't know if there was ever a truly clean pressing of either LP, and the Q8s aren't among those that the Wizards of Conversion have managed to transform into quasi-QRs with the aid of DAWs and modded reel-to-reels. Plus, there's something about the production on these albums that gives them a slightly harsh, AM-radio edge--even the HDCD stereo remasters--C&S moreso than Hissing. I guess I desperately want them to sound like Aja, but they sound like what they are. I really like these quad mixes, though. And the music still knocks me out.)

1634494244715.png
1634494327430.png

Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark (1974) and The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975), in excellent conversions from CD4. These mark the start of what for me is the height of Joni's career (through Mingus, with Hejira at the apex). If you told me I could wave a magic wand and revive the Quadio program with two more titles, well, these would be the ones. I must have a half-dozen different conversions, some from Q8, some CD4, of each album, and while I still haven't found the perfect one, these are close. (I don't know if there was ever a truly clean pressing of either LP, and the Q8s aren't among those that the Wizards of Conversion have managed to transform into quasi-QRs with the aid of DAWs and modded reel-to-reels. Plus, there's something about the production on these albums that gives them a slightly harsh, AM-radio edge--even the HDCD stereo remasters--C&S moreso than Hissing. I guess I desperately want them to sound like Aja, but they sound like what they are. I really like these quad mixes, though. And the music still knocks me out.)

View attachment 72668 View attachment 72669

We've heard what RHINO/WARNER can do via the Chicago, Doobie Brothers and even the Doors Greatest Hits when released via their 192/24 PURE BD~A QUADIO releases when properly remastered from the original 15/30 ips Master Tapes. Even Neil Young's masterful 10 BD~A Archives box set [stereo, only] was revelatory of Neil's early Reprise output.

So why hasn't Rhino/Warner seen fit to lavish Joni Mitchell's astounding output in similar fashion? Instead, they keep releasing RBCDs, some HDCD encoded and in the case of BLUE, even a Japanese UHQ MQA~CD [which, BTW, sounds pretty astounding]. And the rumors and or 'whisperings' that Blue and even Ladies of the Canyon have 4.0 mixes persist and only RHINO absolutely knows what lurks in their vaults!

Isn't it time that they finally accord Ms Mitchell her proper due by finally releasing a Joni Mitchell ARCHIVE set on pristine 192/24 BD~As finally liberating all those wonderfully recorded STEREO albums, including ALL her QUADIO output in one massive box set.

We don't need a lavish hard covered book, post cards or other paraphernalia littering the set ...... because, IMO, Joni Mitchell's music is a supreme gift in and of itself!

Last edited:
Moloko, Statues (SACD 5.1, 2003). There's not a lot of 21st-century dance music with enough soul to actually get me out onto my own living-room dance floor. This has it, though: great beats and awesome low end, but also smart songwriting & arranging (check out the horn charts!), nuanced singing, and imaginative production. Plus an acid-jazz vibe that I love, and I think I hear occasional echoes of Grace Jones, too. I keep meaning to check out Róisín Murphy's solo work.

1634501021319.png

Last edited:
James Levine MAHLER Symphony No. 1 in D with the London Symphony Orchestra/James Levine MAHLER Symphony No. 4 in G with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra/James Levine conducts BRAHMS Symphony No. 1 [RCA Red Seal/Dutton EPOCH/2 QUAD SACDs] Another crowning achievement from Michael Dutton remastered from the original analogue QUAD masters

810s6em7-QL._AC_SL1225_.jpg

Last edited:
Maria Muldaur, Waitress in the Donut Shop (1974, in a conversion from quad reel). Wasn't really familiar with Muldaur's career, pre- or post- "Midnight at the Oasis," before spinning this album. It's a pretty nice set, bluesy & New-Awlinsy. Some of the usual mid-70s session guys here--ex-Wrecking Crew and/or major jazz cats--plus guest spots by everyone from Doc Watson to Dr. John.

1634505574753.png

Finally watched this exceptional 51 minute DVD 5.1 video of Arthur Lee and LOVE's 2003 Concert Video filmed live at London's Royal Festival Hall with Horn and String Section and can report 2 thumbs WAY up. The video was not the greatest but with my disc tweaks I managed to raise it up a few pegs but the sound was pretty darn amazing for DD 5.1 [much preferred over the stereo option]. The RBCD accompanying this set manufactured in the EU is likewise AMAZING and this set can be had for under $12 from either Deep Discount and/or Import CD. Highest Recommendation

71YWGYCo3oL._SL1200_.jpg

Concert Jazz Orchestra Vienna & Wolfgang Muthspiel, Continental Call: Concerto for Guitar and Jazz Orchestra (DTS-CD 5.1, 2002). This is one of a handful of discs that the Austrian guitarist Muthspiel, who these days records for ECM, did for the boutique jazz label Quinton in the early aughts. (Quinton released at least one other DTS-CD, by a different Wolfgang--the saxophonist Puschnig.) I really like this one. The "concerto" by American trombonist/composer/arranger Ed Partyka, who conducts his own work here, is big band music with a chamber-jazz feel. It sometimes feels restrained, but there's a lot of range in terms of mood and dynamics, and plenty of room for swinging and soloing. (Partyka, who has history with the likes of Bob Brookmeyer and Carla Bley, has worked regularly with a bunch of other major European jazz orchestras.) The mix is good: a really well-defined soundstage across the 3 fronts, with horns and reeds from the front left & right often wrapping around to the rears. Sonics are outstanding.

1634514769155.png

Last edited:
Finally watched this exceptional 51 minute DVD 5.1 video of Arthur Lee and LOVE's 2003 Concert Video filmed live at London's Royal Festival Hall with Horn and String Section and can report 2 thumbs WAY up. The video was not the greatest but with my disc tweaks I managed to raise it up a few pegs but the sound was pretty darn amazing for DD 5.1 [much preferred over the stereo option]. The RBCD accompanying this set manufactured in the EU is likewise AMAZING and this set can be had for under $12 from either Deep Discount and/or Import CD. Highest Recommendation

71YWGYCo3oL._SL1200_.jpg
If you watch this a hundred times you will have caught up with me. My favorite dvd.

Makota Nakura, Bach Parallels (evosound FLAC 5.1, 2020). Who knew there was another prominent Japanese marimba player recording in surround? (See: Kuniko.) Interesting program comprising works by Bach transcribed for solo marimba (and/or percussion ensemble) and commissioned works inspired by/riffing on Bach. Beautifully recorded: close-mic'd and--it's marimba, after all--hugely reverberant. The mix is super-immersive and, on the three tracks with multiple players, also highly discrete. I bought the FLAC download from HighRes Audio, but the disc version, if you can track one down, also includes an Auro-3D mix.
https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/ou73o2/makoto-nakura-bach-parallels

Last edited:
Male Or Female ‎– Primitive Reflections Twisted From Sound
Dolby 5.1 multichannel mix

"The creative members of Front 242 have released a spectacular-sounding collection of industrial electronica.
This is a surround experience if ever there was one. The presentation is flawless, with cool directional effects coming from all around. The bass is tight and body-shaking, and surround use is very immersive"

PXL_20211018_174211163.MP.jpg
PXL_20210702_152801587.MP.jpg

Milton Nascimento, Milagre dos Peixes (1973/1974), in a conversion from SQ LP. There must be more Brazilian pop music in quad out there, right? It was hard enough finding even a partial conversion of this album, though. (It was issued as an LP + EP set, and I've only been to locate the 8 tracks from the LP.) Nascimento's trademark blend of the folkloric, the jazzy, and the symphonic lends itself well to surround, and even in SQ this is an interesting mix. Fans of a certain period of Pat Metheny will recognize the backing vocals of percussionist Naná Vasconcelos. As we say about practically every vintage title: it would be great to hear this in a modern, discrete, high-res format.
https://www.discogs.com/master/289875-Milton-Nascimento-Milagre-Dos-Peixes

Back