SPOTLIGHT Sony Japan 7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD Series - Comprehensive List of Multichannel Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I’d grab this as it seems to be headed to the rare bucket of 5.1 SACD. I have the original SACD...but now that I have the Japanese package...WOW this is impressive and I almost hate to open it! 👍🏻
27EEE034-BC4A-426E-9691-6B76CFC81F04.jpeg

Figured I’d grab this as it seems to be headed to the rare bucket of 5.1 SACD. I have the original SACD...but now that I have the Japanese package...WOW this is impressive and I almost hate to open it! 👍🏻
View attachment 66543
Great mix, and all of the 7" series are collectible. The more rare ones will always be the ones not previously out on quad or 5.1 SACD. I do hope that they all sell out (and become rare) and that Sony Japan keeps on releasing new titles in the series.

Santana III must be in the pipeline, the Japanese know which side of their bread is buttered.

That and the next album, and I’m set with Santana quadraphonic.

I really want Johnny and Edgar next after that. We are so close I can just about see it, TOCOAN with gatefold cover and obi, “Saints and Sinners” as well, we deserve it for hanging in there this long.

Last edited:
I was hoping that Sony Japan would get going with these quicker than just doing them as 50th anniversary editions but given the elapsed time here, that doesn't seem to be the case. They were a bit late with reissuing the first album, but the SACD of Abraxas was 50 years to the month of the original LP release.

If that holds for the remaining titles, you can expect Santana III in September of this year, and then Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live! in June of 2022 followed by Caravanserai in October of that year.

It's also possible that the release schedule has simply just been slowed by COVID, as all the quad tapes for these albums are held in the US in vaults controlled by Iron Mountain that have all but been shut down by social distancing regulations for the last year.

I was hoping that Sony Japan would get going with these quicker than just doing them as 50th anniversary editions but given the elapsed time here, that doesn't seem to be the case. They were a bit late with reissuing the first album, but the SACD of Abraxas was 50 years to the month of the original LP release.

If that holds for the remaining titles, you can expect Santana III in September of this year, and then Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live! in June of 2022 followed by Caravanserai in October of that year.

It's also possible that the release schedule has simply just been slowed by COVID, as all the quad tapes for these albums are held in the US in vaults controlled by Iron Mountain that have all but been shut down by social distancing regulations for the last year.
I was not under the impression that the Japanese Sony 7" series was a 50th anniversary series in general. And that while Abraxas worked out that way, I'd expect others to not fall much in line with it. The other releases in the series seem to arrive when they arrive.

1973 would be crammed with several (or many) releases actually which would be fine for many of us.

The press releases for the first two Sony Japan Santana releases were chock full o' verbiage about how they were commemorating the 50th anniversary of the original release, etc. so I entirely think that's the motivation here.

The 1973 thought is a nice one, except that Sony Japan only seem to do one artist at a time when it comes to these quad SACD releases - on the pop side it was Jeff Beck, then the aborted Simon & Garfunkel disc, and now Santana. On the jazz side it was the two Miles Davis discs, and then Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, so you'd expect (hope?) to maybe get Thrust this year in addition to Santana III. Who knows, maybe they'll suprise us with more, or something else entirely, but good thing there's another label delivering quad SACDs in superior sonics, isn't it?

I think it’s likely to get more of these coming sooner rather than later. And I hope they give us none of the previously issued quad masters that AF already did.

50th anniversary editions is fine advertising copy and I hope they don’t stick to it, until 1973, 74!

Getting more of these is likely - in my opinion comes down to how well they sell. I’d like to think that the market for surround music has grown over the last 10 - 15 years if ever so slightly. Add in the high prices being set, And that Japan being a market still devoted to physical media is a plus (in a way), and Columbia / Epic less red tape for clearances (for Sony), I’d be very disappointed if these came to an end.

Japan and Germany I’ve been told are two countries very much supporting physical media.

Things are looking up!

Getting a Sony Japan release of "Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live!" would be a itty-bit of a bummer, as we were lucky enough to already get it released through Dutton-Vocalion. But you know what, I'd buy a double of it anyway to keep the Santana range complete. It'd be excellent to see a new 7 inch reissue sometime soon.

Getting a Sony Japan release of "Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles! Live!" would be a itty-bit of a bummer, as we were lucky enough to already get it released through Dutton-Vocalion. But you know what, I'd buy a double of it anyway to keep the Santana range complete. It'd be excellent to see a new 7 inch reissue sometime soon.

I agree, but if they're doing them to coincide with 50th anniversary dates, it's not like it'll be pushing anything else back as a result. I have no idea if they'll do that one or not, I just made an educated guess based on the fact that they did the self-titled Jeff Beck Group (aka the "orange" album) as one of those 7" releases barely a year after Audio Fidelity released the quad mix on SACD in the US, so it seems like previous reissues aren't an impediment to them choosing to do a title.

Yes, Jaoan 7” of Carole King, Billy Joel, and Herbie Hancock are repeats as well of previously issued quad on SACD. But I pray Carlos and Buddy, and the also mentioned Thrust are not again also repeated.

We really need to move forward with no bum selections, not too many repeats, and all choice prime picks. It’s so late in the game, but not too late.

I agree, but if they're doing them to coincide with 50th anniversary dates, it's not like it'll be pushing anything else back as a result. I have no idea if they'll do that one or not, I just made an educated guess based on the fact that they did the self-titled Jeff Beck Group (aka the "orange" album) as one of those 7" releases barely a year after Audio Fidelity released the quad mix on SACD in the US, so it seems like previous reissues aren't an impediment to them choosing to do a title.
Good point. Sony Japan does seem to do their own thing, and gladly so, because we've been getting some great 7 inch releases from them.
I ended up buying both of those Beck's in the end to keep the Beck 7 inch set complete, despite that I had already had the Audio Fidelity version.

Back