Santana - III Sony Japan Quad SACD (Release date: November 24th, 2021)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsulzinger

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Any word if Santana III will be released from Sony Japan in this 7” quad SACD format? September 71” was original release date, anniversary imminent…..

I have mine on order from an eBay seller, fingers crossed. It states the catalog number is SICP-10138, which falls in line with the other Japan 7 inch mini LP releases, so seems legit.

I have mine on order from an eBay seller, fingers crossed. It states the catalog number is SICP-10138, which falls in line with the other Japan 7 inch mini LP releases, so seems legit.
Looks like maybe an Oct. 27th release date if true, so we shall know pretty soon. @steelydave ?

The eBay listing in question is here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353693848445
Before anyone gets too excited, I did both google and bing searches for this catalog number (SICP-10138) and neither turn anything up. To me this suggests that this release was originally scheduled for this date, and that it's been pushed back - the same seller listed the SACD of Dream Theater's Distance Over Time (SICP-10132/33) that was eventually cancelled when the original pandemic outbreak led to the cancellation of Dream Theater's Japanese tour in 2020.

So, what does this mean? Santana III is probably coming. When? I wouldn't bet the farm on two weeks from now if this is the only listing. If it's coming, you'll start seeing it on all the usual Japanese sites as well as Sony Japan's own site. Normally these releases seem to have about a two-month window between when a listing is first spotted and release, so my edumacated guess is that the earliest we might see these is sometime around Christmas.

The other interesting thing to note is that the last Sony Japan quad SACD (Abraxas) was SICP-10135 and this is apparently SICP-10138, which means both SICP-10136 and SICP-10137 are unaccounted for, suggesting there might be a couple of other releases either in the works or (hopefully not) already cancelled.

I've split these couple of posts off into a new thread so people can find updates as they become available. I've got Google Alerts set up for all these cat numbers so the news will get here eventually one way or another.

eBay tells me that this is "a seller you've bought from"--and indeed, this is the guy who made us all a little nervous by listing Miles Davis's Live-Evil a few weeks before it appeared anywhere else (and was subsequently postponed, IIRC). He eventually came through, though. Just the same, I think I'll wait for confirmation from CD Japan--and a better price from ImportCDs.

The other interesting thing to note is that the last Sony Japan quad SACD (Abraxas) was SICP-10135 and this is apparently SICP-10138, which means both SICP-10136 and SICP-10137 are unaccounted for, suggesting there might be a couple of other releases either in the works or (hopefully not) already cancelled.

Between Nothingness & Eternity and Love, Devotion and Surrender, maybe? (I hope, I hope...)

Has anyone seen evidence that this is not just a stereo release? I haven't seen 'Quad' or 'Multi' anywhere like usual...

I think we have to treat this as "not officially announced" yet, but it's in the same numerical catalog prefix (SICP-101xx) and packaging (7" replica) as all the previous quad reissues, so the chances are slim it's stereo only.

Between Nothingness & Eternity and Love, Devotion and Surrender, maybe? (I hope, I hope...)

Given that the upcoming Birds of Fire is in the SICJ (J = jazz, P = popular) series, I'd wager that it probably isn't Between Nothingness & Eternity Live - given the major labels collective hard-on for landmark year reissues, it seems it would more likely be things from 1971 or early 1972 that are celebrating their 50th anniveraries.

I think we have to treat this as "not officially announced" yet, but it's in the same numerical catalog prefix (SICP-101xx) and packaging (7" replica) as all the previous quad reissues, so the chances are slim it's stereo only.

Given that the upcoming Birds of Fire is in the SICJ (J = jazz, P = popular) series, I'd wager that it probably isn't Between Nothingness & Eternity Live - given the major labels collective hard-on for landmark year reissues, it seems it would more likely be things from 1971 or early 1972 that are celebrating their 50th anniveraries.

Thanks, Dave - I hope it's what we think.

eBay tells me that this is "a seller you've bought from"--and indeed, this is the guy who made us all a little nervous by listing Miles Davis's Live-Evil a few weeks before it appeared anywhere else (and was subsequently postponed, IIRC). He eventually came through, though. Just the same, I think I'll wait for confirmation from CD Japan--and a better price from ImportCDs.
He did come through! I preordered Live Evil and and Abraxas from this seller ftfym65. I got them fairly close to the release date. CD Japan delivery seems to be much faster. I preordered the self titled Santana through CD Japan and got it lickity split.

Now available for Pre-Order on CDJapan. Release date: October 27, 2021

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10138?s_ssid=e468f461716e87c6d5
Japanese original release. Santana's "Santana III" becomes available as SA-CD Multi Hybrid edition for the first time in the world. The SACD layer uses a DSD master converted from the original "Quadraphonic (4ch)" master. The CD layer uses 2ch mix master from SACD (latest remastering). Features a 7-inch mini LP cover artwork. Faithfully replicates two Japan edition single jackets and an ad poster (subject to change).

SICP-10138_ADD.jpg

SICP-10138.jpg

Thanks, Simon ordered :)(y)

Edit: Just added to my purchases spreadsheet, and I did add Chick Corea - Return To Forever SACD to cut Postage costs, I reckon I'll pay £9.41 tax (don't mind) & £12 tax collection fee ( :mad: 🤬), so the pair will cost me about £79.42 unless the courier misses the charges/tax, which I doubt!

Last edited:
Now available for Pre-Order on CDJapan. Release date: October 27, 2021

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10138?s_ssid=e468f461716e87c6d5
Japanese original release. Santana's "Santana III" becomes available as SA-CD Multi Hybrid edition for the first time in the world. The SACD layer uses a DSD master converted from the original "Quadraphonic (4ch)" master. The CD layer uses 2ch mix master from SACD (latest remastering). Features a 7-inch mini LP cover artwork. Faithfully replicates two Japan edition single jackets and an ad poster (subject to change).

SICP-10138_ADD.jpg

SICP-10138.jpg
HOWWWWWWWLLLLL!!!
(..and I'm a CAT!!!!!)

well, can I say; AWESOME???
MY FAVORITE SANTANA ALBUM!! This would make...let's see (Now I am venturing into Quad Linda territory...)...Stereo LP, CD reissue, Japanese SQ LP, USA SQ LP, British SQ LP.. the SIXTH version???? But OHHH what sixth version!!!

I DO have a copy from what seems to be low generation quad master I got a long time ago and was on dts-cd format which I've been told it's a Q8 (NOT!) transfer, but it'll be a treat to have this on a legit release and the beautiful anal retentive (..no insult intended, it's actually a compliment!!! ) japanese packaging...

An I am sure most of you will agree with me..
CAN'T WAIT FOR CARAVANSERAI !!!!

EDIT: Let's hope they replicate the "silver foil" base paper printing they did on the Japanese SQ LPs!

Back