Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a TPM module for my older ASUS ROG board (still sitting on a ship somewhere off Cali probably) but later found out my 6700K cpu isn't in the program. Thing's been cruising at 4.7GHz for years now (delidded/metal alloy TIM/relidded) and runs great so naturally it won't work. My 10700K/ASUS board has the TPM built in though and it's good to go......only I'm not sure I want to right away. Already burned an install DVD for a clean install but......I don't know. Might wait for a few bugs to go away (and there will be bugs). Sort of glad MS didn't fast track my pc for upgrade, although they said it's coming.

You guys talking about printers....1 1/2 or 2 years ago my Canon TS9020? died and the service guy hooked me up with Canon's direct sales where I got TS8220 for like $150. Prints on disc and all, which is what I need it for. Now on fleabay the darn things sell up over $300. My old Kodak finally died that I used for all the paper stuff so went looking for a spare 8220. Sheesh! You can tell the favored/good ones by the price sometimes (btw the model numbers are apparently not sequential so a lower number could be a newer model).
But feed this thing a disc with a nice glossy coating (I buy plexdisc) and the end result is like a store bought one with brilliant colors.

Ok

This is a deep hole I have fallen through....

MSI lists my motherboard as supporting Win 11 and not requiring installation of a module. I assume this is because the correct CPU has TPM built in.

I have an eighth generation i7 CPU but I tossed all the packaging so I cannot determine the model number and Bios does not show it. I am certainly not going to disassemble everything so I can read the printing on the chip.

I got into bios and tried to enable secure boot UEHI and the PTT for TPM. Could not save the changes and exit. Also security device keeps saying no device found...

So I see I am on Bios 2 and date is march 2018 close to when I built this thing. Bios for this board is presently up to 5 And one of the upgrades affects TPM.

So now I have to relearn how to download an updated bios and flash the motherboard to update it without bricking my computer.

I have so little free time I really need this. And I have yet to install and configure my new wifi 6 wireless router.

I think it will be easier to buy a new computer in 2025.

This computer does run very slow telling me there is something wrong there, maybe the games my son installed or something I did. I know the USB C port wont pick up my cellphone.

If they want us to use Win 11 they should send us all a new computer.

Last edited:
I have an eighth generation i7 CPU but I tossed all the packaging so I cannot determine the model number and Bios does not show it. I am certainly not going to disassemble everything so I can read the printing on the chip.

Amen. I can't even remember what my video card is other that it's so old it's an ATI Radeon. But I have relied for well over 10 years on a free app called
Belarc Advisor to do this for me. It will check out BIOS version, CPU, name & serial number hard drives, OS key number & a bunch of other good stuff. It can be saved as HTTP on a USB drive for safe keeping & reference cuz it's when a computer goes kaput that you really need access to this.

Despite delving deep into your set up it's never been a security concern to me, anti-virus & malware checkers always give it a pass, and trusted by the IT heavy hitters that serviced the physicians practice I used to work at.

Ok

MSI lists my motherboard as supporting Win 11 and not requiring installation of a module. I assume this is because the correct CPU has TPM built in.

In windows go to settings- system-about. It will list your CPU model

Today my Windows Update has caught up with the BIOS change I made yesterday.
1634672456206.png

Ok

I got into bios and tried to enable secure boot UEHI and the PTT for TPM. Could not save the changes and exit. Also security device keeps saying no device found...

So I see I am on Bios 2 and date is march 2018 close to when I built this thing. Bios for this board is presently up to 5 And one of the upgrades affects TPM.

So now I have to relearn how to download an updated bios and flash the motherboard to update it without bricking my computer.

I have so little free time I really need this. And I have yet to install and configure my new wifi 6 wireless router.

This computer does run very slow telling me there is something wrong there, maybe the games my son installed or something I did. I know the USB C port wont pick up my cellphone.

Not sure what version of Windows you have but in Windows 10 go to Control Panel\System and Security and click on System, you should see something like
1634674951129.png

Man you got some endurance. LOL
If the PC is fast enough and has enough RAM (and my laptop has plenty of both) Vista is very similar to Windows 7. I really do not understand why everyone hates Vista so much, there was a period where I was running Vista at home and Win 7 at work and I could barely tell the difference. They even have cross compatible drivers.

I think what happened is everyone ran XP for ages, saw Vista and got a culture shock and hated it because it wasn't XP. So Microsoft just waited a couple of years, optimised it a bit and tweaked a couple of things, and put out virtually the same thing as Win 7. People said "thank god it's not Vista" and loved it as a result, and failed to notice it was actually just an optimised Vista with new stickers on it.

Sheer lunacy my i7-4770 (I run older computers as well) is not good enough for Windows 11!!!!! I only recently went from (will never say upgraded) Windows 7. I only did that only because of security concerns. Windows 10 is good for awhile yet anyway. As with the switch from XP trough to Windows 7, I waited till the last minute and only because my newer computer could handle it. Again I will hold out until the bitter end, and possibly beyond. I don't understand people's need have the latest version of Windows, and all the problems that that causes. I still have Windows 7 on another computer and am going to set up yet another with XP to use to run my older programs.

Ok

I've never owned an MSI board, but in general the manufacturers have made swapping the BIOS pretty easy. Usually you boot up with the new one inna flash drive-be sure and follow all naming conventions MSI says to do (ASUS has you rename theirs and even provides a utility to do it.) On boot up hit delete or whatever key gets you into the BIOS and look for the built in utility like"flashbios" or some such thing.
FWIW I've owned many motherboards and never bricked one yet with a BIOS swap.
Also the TPM chip is either integrated into the motherboard or has a module to plug it into. I'm guessing MSI has an updated bios with changes to either auto enable the TPM or make it easier, after updating look in the "Security" section. (of the bios)

Ok all
Ive looked in settings as well as in Bios. It does not give the model number of the CPU like in the list that Duncan attached to his email.

Thanks for that utility Sonik wiz. I will download and try it.

Thanks for the advise on updating Bios Boondocks.

My motherboard has a connector for a TPM module but I am reading those functions are embedded in the qualifying CPUs.

Congrats ArmyofQuad on passing the Windows test.

It seems step number one for me should be to update Bios, it is a good thing to do anyways. Then I can see if changing the security settings work. But I wish MSI would say definitively whether you need an external module or not. At least I know I can buy one if needed.
As pointed out above I know I will have 4 years use of this in Win 10 supported.

I'm on the beta channel and I've been pretty happily using Windows 11 since June or July. That said, there isn't really a compelling reason to upgrade, unless you just have to have the latest thing. Certainly, there are no audio benefits (I think that as little as possible of audio should be processed by Windows anyhow when using a speaker system).

I think what happened is everyone ran XP for ages, saw Vista and got a culture shock and hated it because it wasn't XP. So Microsoft just waited a couple of years, optimised it a bit and tweaked a couple of things, and put out virtually the same thing as Win 7. People said "thank god it's not Vista" and loved it as a result, and failed to notice it was actually just an optimised Vista with new stickers on it.
Hey they're your tools, use what works for you.
I must say I do find it amusing, I found Vista and 7 the two most unreliable and badly designed OS's to come out of M$. My fav's were 95,98, and XP
In any case I use Linux

I was never a fan of Vista, but I never ran with any amount of regularity. There's probably some truth to there being a lot of similarities between Vista and 7, and I think a lot of the Vista problems came from running it on hardware that wasn't up to the task. But I do also think there was some refining that was done between Vista and 7 to improve the user experience. I often like to joke that Vista was the "new coke" of Windows, and that Microsoft made XP so good, that they had to release a bad version in order to release a new version that people would see as an improvement. I doubt that's actually true though, but it's a funny thought. My other nickname for Vista is the new Windows ME.

Ok all
Ive looked in settings as well as in Bios. It does not give the model number of the CPU like in the list that Duncan attached to his email.

Thanks for that utility Sonik wiz. I will download and try it.

Thanks for the advise on updating Bios Boondocks.

My motherboard has a connector for a TPM module but I am reading those functions are embedded in the qualifying CPUs.

Congrats ArmyofQuad on passing the Windows test.

It seems step number one for me should be to update Bios, it is a good thing to do anyways. Then I can see if changing the security settings work. But I wish MSI would say definitively whether you need an external module or not. At least I know I can buy one if needed.
As pointed out above I know I will have 4 years use of this in Win 10 supported.
I had to ask ASUS directly if my older mobo would support TMP 2.0, and if so where could I get the 14+1 chip required? They said it would and gave me a list of probable places to look for the module to plug into my mobo. I ended up ordering the correct one (hopefully) from www.shopblt.com, but the shipment is late arrriving, probably sitting on ship off Cali coast. But of course the cpu/chipset is 6th generation/Z170 and MS says not supported.
Good thing about ASUS is you can usually get an answer from them if you are patient, and the last BIOS update on my Z590-A board was all about the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and security stuff.
Earlier cpu's have a vulnerability that can be exploited, so yes, changes have been made in cpu's. TPM has been around a good while, however many mobo's did not come with the actual chip, instead having a place to insert it once bought separately. TPM is also about bitlocker in Windows as well.
Just keep asking questions, you'll get wherever you need to be, and I'm sure MSI can help you.

Back