Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never a fan of Vista, but I never ran with any amount of regularity. There's probably some truth to there being a lot of similarities between Vista and 7, and I think a lot of the Vista problems came from running it on hardware that wasn't up to the task. But I do also think there was some refining that was done between Vista and 7 to improve the user experience. I often like to joke that Vista was the "new coke" of Windows, and that Microsoft made XP so good, that they had to release a bad version in order to release a new version that people would see as an improvement. I doubt that's actually true though, but it's a funny thought. My other nickname for Vista is the new Windows ME.
I had the most problems with Windows 2000. But for shits and grins I wanted to get A+ certified and that was the current version to be tested on. Plus I was taking a Cisco course and just thought it a good idea to get the A+ cert as well. In reality don't mean much as they are good for a lifetime, and if I'd been a few months earlier I could have taken a DOS based A+ program which I would have aced without thinking about it.
As far as my personal use I lingered long on XP, skipped Windows 8 entirely. I loved XP at the time.

My other nickname for Vista is the new Windows ME.
That's not true at all. ME is the last dying gasp of the 16 bit kernels tracing their lineage back to DOS. Vista on the other hand is a 32 or 64 bit kernel tracing its lineage back to Windows NT. Entirely different code base and technology underneath.

Looks like Microsoft fucked things up. *shocked face*.

I have no plans to upgrade at this time - but my hardware is current, so I decided - lets check if I can. Sure enough, my Windows Updates had a nice alert letting me know my machine isn't compatible for Windows 11, and guided me to the PC Health Check tool that can give more details.

As expected - it was because TPM wasn't turned on in the BIOS settings - so I restarted, turned it on in the BIOS, booted back up, ran the PC Health Check tool, and now the tool says I'm all set.

Except that the Windows Update settings still thinks I'm not compatible, and I've found no way so far to force it to recheck.

Nice to know I can still count on Microsoft to screw things up.

I expect installing/upgrading to 11 through all the "other methods" listed out there would work. I probably could just download an iso and run it off of that, and it will probably go through without issue since when it checks, it should find the same things that the PC Health tool finds....but it's really shitty that Windows Updates will continue telling me I'm not compatible when I've gone through and fixed that.

View attachment 72704
I had a similar problem. At first, running the PC health, I failed because of TPM. I knew my motherboard was TPM capable. Come to find out I had to find and buy the optional TPM module and install it. Then I got the conflicting messages that you got. The good news is about after a week went by, then windows update started reporting I was good to go.

That's not true at all. ME is the last dying gasp of the 16 bit kernels tracing their lineage back to DOS. Vista on the other hand is a 32 or 64 bit kernel tracing its lineage back to Windows NT. Entirely different code base and technology underneath.

Yeah, that joke doesn't hold up as a technical joke. It's more about the OS receiving negative response, and being replaced by the next version quickly.

Yeah, that joke doesn't hold up as a technical joke. It's more about the OS receiving negative response, and being replaced by the next version quickly.
And the funny thing there with ME is that Microsoft only reluctantly produced ME because idiot customers demanded one last 16 bit kernel based OS for compatibility reasons. If I were Microsoft I might have deliberately done an underwhelming job of it to make sure that line of kernels died a final death.

Despite my desire not to leap on a new upgrade, I couldn't help myself and decided to try the upgrade on my 'downstairs laptop', which is my oldest laptop that I primarily use for email and internet when I am, well, downstairs! I don't have any music programs on it and except for an occasional sacd_extract, it doesn't do much, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Passed all of the tests, downloaded the upgrade, ran it right out of the gate, waited for a while and then it was done. It's actually running pretty well right now. The task bar is a bit bizarre being centered and all, but other than the rearranging, it's pretty issue free - for me anyway.

This is an HP Envy Laptop that's about 4 years old. So far, so good. But I am still not going to upgrade my 'big music pc' or my working laptop. Not yet anyway.

I was hoping Win10 was going to be a "rolling release". One that is continually update-able like my PCLinuxOS install. Apparently not from the recent news. :(

I was hoping Win10 was going to be a "rolling release". One that is continually update-able like my PCLinuxOS install. Apparently not from the recent news. :(
Microsoft originally said Win10 was going to be a rolling release. They've now reneged on that, because they want TPM to be able to enforce revenue streams for annually licenced software. Otherwise they have no long term business given that Windows is basically free now, they have to make money on annual Office 365 subscriptions.

Microsoft originally said Win10 was going to be a rolling release. They've now reneged on that, because they want TPM to be able to enforce revenue streams for annually licenced software. Otherwise they have no long term business given that Windows is basically free now, they have to make money on annual Office 365 subscriptions.
:sneaky: I won't be popular with them I use Open Office for Windows!

:sneaky: I won't be popular with them I use Open Office for Windows!
I would like a comparable replacement for Outlook. I'm pretty much over my Excel files getting corrupted and outside of simple macros I don't really use the VB stuff since I retired. Word is an easy substitute in the free packages now. I seemed to get stuck on Outlook a long time ago, guess I'm just used to it. Outside of that I don't need Office anymore. MS has screwed me several times on Office purchases just for upgrading computers and I don't get corporate discounts anymore.

I would like a comparable replacement for Outlook. I'm pretty much over my Excel files getting corrupted and outside of simple macros I don't really use the VB stuff since I retired. Word is an easy substitute in the free packages now. I seemed to get stuck on Outlook a long time ago, guess I'm just used to it. Outside of that I don't need Office anymore. MS has screwed me several times on Office purchases just for upgrading computers and I don't get corporate discounts anymore.
I have used an Academic version of Office since 2010. I think it cost one of my kids $40. Never had a problem. I've loaded it on probably a dozen machines over the years.

I have used an Academic version of Office since 2010. I think it cost one of my kids $40. Never had a problem. I've loaded it on probably a dozen machines over the years.
Never had an academic version....our kids long grown and gone. But all the corporate deals I used to get super cheap would piss out as soon as I installed on a replacement machine, "this software has been installed too many times" or some such. I remember Office 2010 cost me $5....then the next year when I upgraded my mobo that was the end. Just like those 5 or 7 Windows 7 licences I bought. I used to build a lot of computers.......but it's not like I tried to install one copy on every rig I built. Usually I sold the mobo & cpu delidded/liquid metal TIM/relidded/ reinstalled and the whole deal overclocked and running cool & fast.
With software I always tried to support the "little guy" that had a good product, e.g. Winrar. Paid for it years ago, get free upgrades, always works and was darned handy in my usenet days with a slow satellite connection.

You know, there's so many activation tools out there that unless Windows 11/TPM changes it, one could run MS Office free indefinitely.
But most of us just don't think that way, though it's very tempting when I think of all the money I've given MS over the years.
In fact when Windows 10 came along and I got the free upgrades on our machines, I knew sooner or later they'd come knocking when I upgraded a mobo or such, so I bought the full Pro license and figured that would be the end of it. Now 10 is headed for the end and I wonder how they will do me in 11. Will they change their mind and go back to a paid for OS? Who knows. I mean this whole TPM thing came out of the blue for most of us I guess.

Maybe since I'm just sitting around with the flu I'll go ahead and pop this dvd I burned in the rig and Windows 11 will........

....install and play nice. It did. It does. All my apps except some ASUS mobo stuff for LED's was right there working as far as I can tell. Then the ASUS stuff installed on it's own after asking my permission. Most painless OS upgrade I've been through.
I am impressed. Note I upgraded via a downloaded .iso burned to DVD, but Windows update was already offering it to me.

I've used my internet provider's (UK's BT) Web based email for years rather than Outlook or an equivalent as OpenOffice doesn't have email. Works well for me.

The last really good OS Microsoft shipped was DOS 3.1
I'd rather be watching football on my circa 1987 32" Sony Trinitron in SD than this crappy 65" 4k TV
I've never had a better driving, more reliable car than my primer grey '65 Ford Galaxy 500 with three on the tree and four bald bias-ply tires

I've been a computer nerd since the late 80's and a professional IT guy since 1996. Microsoft has done something Apple would never have tried, making an OS that has worked on billions of PCs with a trillion possible 3rd party hardware combinations while commanding 90% of the market for 40 years. Yeah, they've had some clunkers, but Windows 10 has been an enormous success for six years. In my work life I cringe when I have to touch some legacy under-powered Windows 7 machine goobered up with eleven years of software arteriosclerosis. Computer years are like dog years.
I'm upgrading a couple of PCs to 11 today. The security enhancements alone make it a long-term no-brainer. But I'll be doing a disk image first.

Last edited:
The last really good OS Microsoft shipped was DOS 3.1
I'd rather be watching football on my circa 1987 32" Sony Trinitron in SD than this crappy 65" 4k TV
I've never had a better driving, more reliable car than my primer grey '65 Ford Galaxy 500 with three on the tree and four bald bias-ply tires

I've been a computer nerd since the late 80's and a professional IT guy since 1996. Microsoft has done something Apple would never have tried, making an OS that has worked on billions of PCs with a trillion possible 3rd party hardware combinations while commanding 90% of the market for 40 years. Yeah, they've had some clunkers, but Windows 10 has been an enormous success for six years. In my work life I cringe when I have to touch some legacy under-powered Windows 7 machine goobered up with eleven years of software arteriosclerosis. Computer years are like dog years.
I'm upgrading a couple of PCs to 11 today. The security enhancements alone make it a long-term no-brainer. But I'll be doing a disk image first.
First thing I always do is break out Macrium and image the OS disk. But anyway I hear ya on DOS 3.1. Was 3 or 3.1 the last all machine language written before they went to C? Can't remember now.
Anyway I did something I've never been able to do before, upgrade and keep all apps. Worked like a charm, no problems yet.....and I have a lot of legacy programs.

I think the last DOS was 6 unless you want to include Win 95-98 which was built on DOS. I'm a little foggy on that anymore. But obviously I was being sarcastic about wanting to use that anymore. Although it does impress the young'uns when I break out the CMD box and blast through a search or other magic they've never seen before. It makes me look like a shaman.

First thing I always do is break out Macrium and image the OS disk. But anyway I hear ya on DOS 3.1. Was 3 or 3.1 the last all machine language written before they went to C? Can't remember now.
Anyway I did something I've never been able to do before, upgrade and keep all apps. Worked like a charm, no problems yet.....and I have a lot of legacy programs.

I think the last DOS was 6 unless you want to include Win 95-98 which was built on DOS. I'm a little foggy on that anymore. But obviously I was being sarcastic about wanting to use that anymore. Although it does impress the young'uns when I break out the CMD box and blast through a search or other magic they've never seen before. It makes me look like a shaman.

Back