HiRez Poll Beatles, The - LET IT BE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Beatles - LET IT BE

• Total voters
5.1 mix: 10
Box set: 8

Love the 5.1 mix for:

* the muscular bass and drums, especially in the rock songs I Me Mine, Dig A Pont, I've Got A Feeling, One After 909 and Get Back

* the acoustic guitars that are so detailed and upfront in Two of Us

* the song Let It Be is worth the price of admission alone; that instrumental break transports you into a cathedral; ranks up there with Within You Without You, Because and Happiness Is A Warm Gun in 5.1 Beatle mixes

* Ringo's snare and hi-hat are prominent that I've never noticed before on this album

* discrete all around, every track; vocals crisp in the center

* de-Spectorized to a palatable level, particularly The Long and Winding Road where you hear more of the band, thank God

* was originally disappointed by Across The Universe, but after increasing that volume of the rears manually, I realized that Giles made the right call in containing Spector's orchestra; the wah wah is more prevalent, which is a plus

The box set is a fine package. Lots of detail about each song in the sturdy hardcover book. Enjoy the clear, simple presentation. Like the sessions disc, but felt the "EP" disc was BS--they could have included these four tracks on the stereo LP or Blu-ray disc. They could have gathered another CD of sessions instead, given the many hours of sessions available.

Also, why isn't Don't Let Me Down in 5.1??

Overall, love this set.

I think "Don't Let Me Down" is part of Past Masters , Vol 2 .

But Perhaps it will be featured on the Disney/Jackson Film which I hope will have some or all of the songs in complete 5.1 versions in 5.1.
And I wouldn't mind if they were to include some studio jams , like the Apple Corp Studio rooftop ! Or Twickenham .
:)

Hmmmm. What to give it—-what to give it….

in one respect, this may be Martin’s best Beatles surround. But probably because he had less to work with. It‘s mostly a “set-it-and-forget-it” type mix with all the instruments and voices in mostly the same places on every song. With fewer overdubs, there aren’t really any surprises or disappointments. But it’s a nice, full, discreet mix. It rocks pretty hard and certainly the best this album has ever sounded.

I prefer the 5.1 to the Atmos played on my 5.1–it sounds warmer. I give the mix and sound quality a “10”.

The content? On one hand — it’s the f’king Beatles. On the other? —it’s Let It Be. Should I really be giving this as high a number as the last 3? And it really should have included “Don’t Let Me Down”. And probably “Teddy Boy”, “All Things Must Pass”, and the single versions of “Let It Be” and “Get Back”. I can only go a “9” here.

The packaging is nice. Nice book. I haven’t played all the extra discs yet. I see why they passed on the Glyn Johns version. Boy is that raw! And why an “EP”?

the shipping packaging from Amazon was the worst I’ve ever had. Barely wrapped in thin cardboard. The book is dented. I’ll probably try to exchange it. First time I’ve done that.

a “9” overall.

I’ve never listened to any Atmos mix on an Atmos system. So I have a question….

on an Atmos mix like this one — what do they put in the height speakers?
That’s actually not how ATMOS works. It’s an object based system, where the mixer can place instruments in the 3D space that is the listening room. So, for example that guitar part sounds like it’s coming from a musician and amp located between the right front and right rear speaker locations . The sound source is not speaker/channel located, it’s 3D space located. Writing this I realize it may not make sense but it’s the best I can come up with

Bonus tracks in surround would have been nice, but we still have the flick of Let It Be to come.
So here's hoping there's more to come?!

(y);)
They might be able to do something with Past Masters Vol 2. It’s got a lot of material from ‘68 onwards. And the versions of Let It Be and Get Back are different than those on the main albums.

I also think they might pull off good surround mixes of the earlier tracks on Vol 2 without resorting to digital chicanery.

“Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane” are part of Magical Mystery Tour, but we got those in surround on “Sgt Pepper’s”. 🤷‍♂️
That's not correct. MMT, as it was released in the UK, came on two 7" EPs. It did not include Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. Those tracks never appeared in the MMT soundtrack. They were recorded during the Pepper sessions and released as a single because the label wanted a quick release.

The US release was a larger 12" LP. On side 1 it included the tracks from the MMT soundtrack. On side 2 it included Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane as well as other tracks they had released on singles that year, namely, Hello Goodbye, Baby Your a Rich Man, All You Need is Love.

That’s actually not how ATMOS works. It’s an object based system, where the mixer can place instruments in the 3D space that is the listening room. So, for example that guitar part sounds like it’s coming from a musician and amp located between the right front and right rear speaker locations . The sound source is not speaker/channel located, it’s 3D space located. Writing this I realize it may not make sense but it’s the best I can come up with
But sounds can be anchored to individual speakers, i.e heights on one side, or front heights.

“Strawberry Fields Forever” and “Penny Lane” are part of Magical Mystery Tour, but we got those in surround on “Sgt Pepper’s”. 🤷‍♂️
They rightly belonged on Pepper.

They were recorded as the beginning of the Sgt Pepper sessions (not the MMT sessions) and were released as a 45 globally before Pepper even came out.

They weren’t on the MMT EP in the UK. The US album was just a US created compilation of sorts - although it is now considered by Beatles, Inc as part of the Beatles “canon”, it wasn’t then.

However, the SFF 5.1 on Pepper had already been released, so it was easy to include it. But it would have seemed odd without Penny Lane as well.

Nevertheless it would have been nice for the Let It Box to include 5.1 mixes of the 45 (Let It Be and Don’t Let Me Down), but they didn’t do it for Abbey Road or the White Album either. I suspect we might get them at some point because they were remixed for stereo, so I can’t imagine they didn’t remix them for surround while they were at it.

Edit: Ooops, I see now someone beat me to it....

Last edited:

no, actually that makes perfect sense. Thanks. On “Let It Be” in 5.1, I’m hearing the one guitar pretty solidly in right front and the electric piano pretty solidly from left rear. In Atmos they sound somewhat more in the middle of the space. Correct?

so where would I be hearing Billy’s piano if I had an Atmos setup?

Last edited:
That's not correct. MMT, as it was released in the UK, came on two 7" EPs. It did not include Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. Those tracks never appeared in the MMT soundtrack. They were recorded during the Pepper sessions and released as a single because the label wanted a quick release.

The US release was a larger 12" LP. On side 1 it included the tracks from the MMT soundtrack. On side 2 it included Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane as well as other tracks they had released on singles that year, namely, Hello Goodbye, Baby Your a Rich Man, All You Need is Love.

I know this. But I was comparing it to “Don’t Let Me Down” which someone said the reason it wasn't included here is because it was "part of Past Master v2”. Which it wasn’t until 1987, of course. SFF and PL have been part of MMT worldwide for as long. And in the US and other markets since 1967.

If those could have been put on the Sgt Pepper reissue because they were recorded during those sessions, then DLMD should be part of this release as well. In fact, I think it’s more likely we’ll see a 5.1 box set reissue of MMT than “past masters”

Last edited:
They rightly belonged on Pepper.

They were recorded as the beginning of the Sgt Pepper sessions (not the MMT sessions) and were released as a 45 globally before Pepper even came out.

They weren’t on the MMT EP in the UK. The US album was just a US created compilation of sorts - although it is now considered by Beatles, Inc as part of the Beatles “canon”, it wasn’t then.

However, the SFF 5.1 on Pepper had already been released, so it was easy to include it. But it would have seemed odd without Penny Lane as well.

Nevertheless it would have been nice for the Let It Box to include 5.1 mixes of the 45 (Let It Be and Don’t Let Me Down), but they didn’t do it for Abbey Road or the White Album either. I suspect we might get them at some point because they were remixed for stereo, so I can’t imagine they didn’t remix them for surround while they were at it.

Edit: Ooops, I see now someone beat me to it....
They no more “rightly belong on Pepper” than “Don’t let me Down” does on this release. It’s inconsistent, which is my point.

The Don't Let Me Down single was recorded at the Let It Be sessions on Jan 28th 1969 and another take was included on the original "Get Back" tracklisting. I have no doubt we will see/hear them performing it in the upcoming film.

True, those Pepper tracks were not on the original MMT EP, but they've been part of the 'canon' on MMT in the UK and everywhere else since the first CD issue in 1987*. The same time DLMD first appeared on "Past Masters V 2".

*Actually the 11-track MMT LP was first released in the UK in 1976.

Last edited:
no, actually that makes perfect sense. Thanks. On “Let It Be” in 5.1, I’m hearing the one guitar pretty solidly in right front and the electric piano pretty solidly from left rear. In Atmos they sound somewhat more in the middle of the space. Correct?

so where would I be hearing Billy’s piano if I had an Atmos setup?
In my Atmos setup (7.1.4), I am hearing the 2 little electric piano bits from the left rear. I don't think they mixed this in the heights as I am only hearing a faint reverb of the electric piano in the heights during these parts. As for the electric guitar (I assume you are referring to the guitar solo mostly), I am hearing this anchored front and center - mostly coming from the center speaker. In this track, the heights appear to be mostly the choir voices and the horns, along with the organ to give those elements some "lift", and added room reverb as well. So the Atmos touches are subtle in my opinion.

I am really liking this 5.1 mix. It's very well done. Nothing overboard, but not conservative at all. I am really liking "Two of Us" and "For You Blue". "For You Blue" has such a good feel to it, and if you recall from the movie they actually looked like they were having fun playing it, and John cranking on the slide/steel guitar. I almost feel like editing a longer version out of the file for that song so that the vibe lasts longer.

Even though this album has the dreaded 'burn out' factor in me head, I find myself going back and listening to it again through this 5.1 mix. I can't imagine what the Atmos sounds like, but I find it nice to hear some of you like the 5.1 better than the Atmos. That means I am getting the good stuff!! :)

In my Atmos setup (7.1.4), I am hearing the 2 little electric piano bits from the left rear. I don't think they mixed this in the heights as I am only hearing a faint reverb of the electric piano in the heights during these parts. As for the electric guitar (I assume you are referring to the guitar solo mostly), I am hearing this anchored front and center - mostly coming from the center speaker. In this track, the heights appear to be mostly the choir voices and the horns, along with the organ to give those elements some "lift", and added room reverb as well. So the Atmos touches are subtle in my opinion.
That all sounds like good choices for the "Heights", just not sure about putting full blown discrete instruments into the heights though in most instances; for some room reverb or added spatial vertical room placement for sure. Reminds me of a time when I was listening to one of the Randy Newman Quad's (one example) that had some strings on a particular song; and with the way it was mixed and since my 5.1 rears are ceiling, it sounded like they were floating above my head about 6 feet up. So this whole object oriented Atmos thing, seems a little overblown, because they are still just speakers on a different plane pumping out sounds.

I think it would be cool to have a dedicated thread called something like "What's in the Heights"; that's just about what the mix engineers are putting up there, and how appropriate it sounds, or maybe too kitschy.

Love the mix on this -I'll do a 10!

They might be able to do something with Past Masters Vol 2. It’s got a lot of material from ‘68 onwards. And the versions of Let It Be and Get Back are different than those on the main albums.

I also think they might pull off good surround mixes of the earlier tracks on Vol 2 without resorting to digital chicanery.

Probably not much they can do with "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work it Out". "Paperback Writer"? Maybe. Although I think that's just a 4-track recording as well with no bouncing from an earlier tape. Others here would have more info on that, I'm sure.

From there on they are all good candidates, I believe.

But I doubt we'll be seeing any special deluxe boxed set release of the Past Masters albums anytime soon.

Better luck we might see Atmos remixes of the later tracks for streaming release.

When I said "Let It Be" I was referring to the general placement throughout most of the album. Seems Billy's piano is always in the left rear and one of the rhythm guitars always in the front right (or mostly so.) But I haven't dissected it that closely.

When I said "Let It Be" I was referring to the general placement throughout most of the album. Seems Billy's piano is always in the left rear and one of the rhythm guitars always in the front right (or mostly so.) But I haven't dissected it that closely.

Preston's parts and the strings are pretty much always in the rears, but guitar panning does seem to vary a bit throughout the album. On "Get Back", I hear the rhythm guitar mostly through right rear and the lead maybe 75% in left front. Then on "I Me Mine", the lead fills during the chorus come entirely from the left rear and the acoustic is floating somewhere between the right channels.

Back