MISC: Technics SH-3433 Scope

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a RS-858 but hope to get one some day. Still it may be a good idea to scan to post on the forum so eveyone has access to it, or send it to oldquadguy so he can put it on his site.

I have a copy of the owners manual PDF and apologise if I am breaking any rules in attempting to add it here!

Attachments

• Technics_SH-3433_owners_manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 426
They did, look at the previos page. One scan has it folded up so you can see the page, one scan has it folded down so you can see the extra note. It fooled me at first too. But it's all there.

Hi, i had the chance to get a Technics one for a very good price (25 € :)) in working condition. I cleaned the pots and after it worked smoothly. Bad storage :( the knobs are not so shiny and the chrome paint around the scope is in bad shape. More easy to restore, i will have to repaint the metalic cabinet. However, I would, even if my electronic knowledge is very basic, try to check a few inside points before I let it run more than for a quick test. To achieve that I'm looking for a service manual. If someone has it, is it possibe to post it to me ? Thanks in advance, Jacques from Brussels.

I just scored a 3433 scope and am confused on how to be able to hook it up to where I can see the scope and listen to a quad tape at the same time. Do I split the inputs to my Marantz quad amp and then over to the RCA inputs of the scope or can I just use the REC OUT of the amp to connect to the input of the scope? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Please tell me that was a typo and that you don't want to hear a quad rape.....

I could be wrong, but I believe you might need to use speaker outputs to drive the scope. I have the model up which has a preamp built in so you can use a tape loop or a scope loop like my one JVC receiver has. I am not sure though as mine has a dead transformer. You can Google for a user manual. I am sure someone will be along to help. I think Quad Linda has one in operation.

It all depends on what sort of receiver you have. The downside of the 3433 is it's a dead end, not a pass-through sort of gadget.

Two ways to hook it up:

1: Using one of your 4-channel tape monitors. Not the easiest thing to do if you have multiple pieces of equipment hooked up or your receiver lacks more than one monitor. If using this method, set the path switch on the front to Low.

One drawback to this method is if your receiver has ports for showing the FM multipath range finder, you lose that function because you've filled the low ports with your monitor outputs.

2: If your receiver has hookups for a second set of speakers, you can use the second set of speaker outputs and connect them to the scope. Set the path switch on the front to High. Using this method, you can hook up the multipath range finder using the 'Low' ports.

Thanks Q8. I had read some of the previous posts and one states that using the speaker terminals didn't provide as bright of scope as the RCA route did. Am I wrong? By the way, my receiver is a Marantz 4240.

I've never hooked mine up via the speaker section, so I can't answer that. Since I have front & rear EQ's, I use the tape monitors on them to output to my scope thereby not losing a tape monitor. However, If I ever get my tech guy to add multipath FM outs on my 9900 receiver, I will switch to using my B-speaker outs.

Here's what I think that I will do: use an RCA splitter and split the quad tape outs having one set plugged to the inputs of my Quad amp and the others to the input of the scope..There was a comment earlier in this thread stating that would work. Anyone else think that is the best way?

I am still in 'decluttering' mode, and this thing has been sitting in a closet for maybe 15 years. I got it off eBay way back when but never tried it. So today I pulled it out, opened it to insure there were no internal creatures, then fired it up - hooking it up to my Akai R2R.

Something is obviously amiss, so I am asking for pointers. The beam seems to be OK but it doesn't do anything that I expect it to do, other than brightness and focus, but then again, I may not know what I am doing. Here are two pictures, and a video (if it makes it). Anyone have any pointers for me, and maybe where I should try and use my pot cleaners?

THANKS

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2681.MOV
    43.8 MB
I am still in 'decluttering' mode, and this thing has been sitting in a closet for maybe 15 years. I got it off eBay way back when but never tried it. So today I pulled it out, opened it to insure there were no internal creatures, then fired it up - hooking it up to my Akai R2R.

Something is obviously amiss, so I am asking for pointers. The beam seems to be OK but it doesn't do anything that I expect it to do, other than brightness and focus, but then again, I may not know what I am doing. Here are two pictures, and a video (if it makes it). Anyone have any pointers for me, and maybe where I should try and use my pot cleaners?

THANKS

View attachment 72575

View attachment 72576
Try feeding in one input at a time, if all is well each input should show a trace directed to the proper corner. At least the tube is lighting, showing some kind of a display so it's not dead!

Back in '76, I bought one of these devils. Love it! My income tax refund bought it.

Likely you've done all the right things. Q-Eight had some great tips in post #31.

My gut feeling says you're connecting it correctly, but the CRT may be weak.

First, set input selector toggle switch to high (spkr) or low (line), depending on the inputs you're connected to.

Second, select 4 AFD. Do you see a dot on screen? Make sure the dot is centered using the X mark on display and the two angle adjustment knobs to left of display. Powered up, you should see a green dot even when no signal is applied. Turn up the brightness, if necessary. If it is still barely visible, the actual waveform will be even dimmer and, hence too dim to see even if displayed.

Third, if all 4 ch are connected AND have signal, you should be able to switch to a waveform for any channel. Waveform will display even if a single channel is connected, so long as you've selected that channel. Both waveform selector and channel selector are on right side of front panel.

Fourth, AFD. When connecting to 2ch source (non decoded /synthesized), you should have at least a V formation on the AFD scope display. More of the AFD circle will fill in when decoded/synthesized. Discrete 4ch will fill the AFD field, depending on how much info is coming from each channel. If you have a Sansui or Marantz with Vari(o) matrix, you will see some vast differences between different versions of synthesizing on the AFD.

Have fun!

Well, mine doesn't work. It lights up, I can focus the beam, but it shows a waveform when nothing is coming in (no straight line) and when there is audio coming in, it doesn't change much.

I just checked eBay and the last one sold for almost $800 and it didn't work, so I am going to put this one on eBay and take a shot that someone who knows what they're doing can fix it. It looks very clean. It might just need some caps swapped or something. I am not up for it at this point.

Oh well.............

Back