The adventures of GOS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2, next door neighbors both had significant basement flooding again. The difference for me was, we never lost power, so my sump pump did its job.

Gene, glad to hear that you that you missed out on another disaster, sorry to hear about your neighbors.
How long have you lived in the same house as is this the worst rains you have had since living where you are?

peter

We're expecting a 'doozy' of a Nor"Easter tonight through early Wednesday morning dumping 4~6 inches of rain with winds gusting at 60 mph. Folks in this part are still recovering from the remnants of Hurricane Ida which caused extensive devastation in this area. Fingers crossed it isn't as bad .... as predicted!
Yep, same forecast here in Massachusetts.

Gene, glad to hear that you that you missed out on another disaster, sorry to hear about your neighbors.
How long have you lived in the same house as is this the worst rains you have had since living where you are?

peter
Hey Peter! I've lived here 33 years. By far, the worst 2 events since I've lived here were last night, and 2 months ago. Nothing comes close.

Hey Peter! I've lived here 33 years. By far, the worst 2 events since I've lived here were last night, and 2 months ago. Nothing comes close.

Gene, WOW, that's a long time in the same place, well guess we have been a while as well as have been 27 years in the same place and I thought we lived in the area with one of the most rainfall in the world, guess not.
Hope you get through this as well as others chiming in.

peter

Gene, WOW, that's a long time in the same place, well guess we have been a while as well as have been 27 years in the same place and I thought we lived in the area with one of the most rainfall in the world, guess not.
Hope you get through this as well as others chiming in.

peter
Well, my wife and I have chosen to live modestly, so we have a better chance (once retired) to afford a nice retirement home on the gulf coast.

It really was deja vu! And, here is why....

When we had that extensive flooding couple months ago, wife and I were on our first day of vacation. Fast forward, I was supposed to go to Disney World, Florida, leaving last night, flying this morning. Only, I cancelled due to impossible schedule at work. Though, my wife went ahead and went. (with son and grandson)

How odd is that? Something about vacation....

Gene - glad to hear you did not have another major mess. Your town needs to review its storm sewer capacities imho.

Well, my wife and I have chosen to live modestly, so we have a better chance (once retired) to afford a nice retirement home on the gulf coast.
Y'all come on down, Gene. I don't live on the coast, but in Florida you are never far from either the Gulf or the Atlantic.

Couple'a folks talked about the damage moisture does to LP's. If you have some you want to keep stored in a basement or garage I suggest you get goooooood containers. Me and Ex had ours in what turned out to be a leaky garage closet when I went in Army and I salvaged maybe 10 out of 300+ from mold...discwasher wouldn't hardly touch the stuff nor soap and water.

Dear Gene,
Watch out for the hurricanes when you move there...
😬
Well not so many basements in Florida, at least I have never seen but a few homes with. The hurricanes are a reality, though, I've been through many but never been flooded thankfully. I look at GOS's pics of washers and driers floating around in the basement and it gives me the chills.

Y'all come on down, Gene. I don't live on the coast, but in Florida you are never far from either the Gulf or the Atlantic.

Couple'a folks talked about the damage moisture does to LP's. If you have some you want to keep stored in a basement or garage I suggest you get goooooood containers. Me and Ex had ours in what turned out to be a leaky garage closet when I went in Army and I salvaged maybe 10 out of 300+ from mold...discwasher wouldn't hardly touch the stuff nor soap and water.

Yes bleach is the only thing I know of that kills mold .....but on vinyl ? I'm sure it would cause damage to the grooves.

I suppose you could try a vinegar/water mixture .... then again a once over with distilled water to try and elimate the vinegar . Keeping in mind vinegar is acidic .
Anyway just a suggestion , that may work with vinyl . I'm no expert , but I'd give it a go rather than tossing all those vinyl recordings. That must of been a major disappointment , sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes bleach is the only thing I know of that kills mold .....but on vinyl ? I'm sure it would cause damage to the grooves.

I suppose you could try a vinegar/water mixture .... then again a once over with distilled water to try and elimate the vinegar . Keeping in mind vinegar is acidic .
Anyway just a suggestion , that may work with vinyl . I'm no expert , but I'd give it a go rather than tossing all those vinyl recordings. That must of been a major disappointment , sorry to hear of your loss.
Well it was almost 50 years ago, and the Ex has been gone just a few years short of that, taking with her some of my Quad equipment and media, because you know why not?
I don't remember what all I did to clean the records but soap and water and discwasher was probably it. That mold was just truly vinyl destroying.
Anyway I got a beautiful daughter out of the marriage that I love big as the sky.....she's headed close to 50 now and still calls to talk to the old man regularly who for some reason she thinks is a pretty good guy..

Scary deja vu! Really glad no H2O in the basement but I bet you were pretty anxious. I heard from @J. PUPSTER he got about 5" in a short time & high winds but no flooding. Sacramento said "rain, rain go away" & sent it to the mid-West.

The microclimate here in Sacramento was just flat-out weird this time out. Multiple inches fell in some areas, but I didn't even get the back yard lake that I usually get with other storms.

Well it was almost 50 years ago, and the Ex has been gone just a few years short of that, taking with her some of my Quad equipment and media, because you know why not?
I don't remember what all I did to clean the records but soap and water and discwasher was probably it. That mold was just truly vinyl destroying.
Anyway I got a beautiful daughter out of the marriage that I love big as the sky.....she's headed close to 50 now and still calls to talk to the old man regularly who for some reason she thinks is a pretty good guy..

Same here.
But I got to keep all my quad equipment and software , and my 2 Daughters are close to forty .
They treat their dad with some unknown admiration . So we're close . Also they know how to spot quad records as I taught them that little skill when we went to used record stores .
Also how to gently handle vinyl records by their edge.

And now it's all CD/DVD , or SACD , DVD , or Bluray.

:)

I don't know that bleach would cause groove damage, but I wouldn't want to work with it. For years I've been using Sporacidin Enzymatic mold cleaner. Don't let the price shock you, I put a capful in a 32 oz spray bottle, so one bottle is all but a lifetime supply. No bad smell and it works great.

Sporacidin

Couple'a folks talked about the damage moisture does to LP's. If you have some you want to keep stored in a basement or garage I suggest you get goooooood containers.
The only good container is one that breathes. If even a bit of moisture gets into a sealed container the mold will grow. Or if you use a container that really seals well be sure to put some desiccant in there.

Back