Adding Digital Surround to Analog Quad System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug G.

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hi everybody,

Well, after many years, I am considering adding digital surround to my old system, mainly because, as part of the SPLHCB super deluxe set I received from my kids, it has a 5.1 mix on disc in it and I guess I would like to hear it.

I have an old Panasonic DVD player with Toslink output and I see there are converters to change to RCA outputs. Is that the way you guys would go or would getting a separate player, if I ever wanted to use other formats, be more cost effective?

My old Heathkit amplifiers are strictly RCA analog inputs.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
I'd suggest buying a used bluray player that has analog outputs. Not only would you add bluray capability- there's a lot of great multichannel music that's only available on blu, but you also get the full hi-rez multi-channel signal, as opposed to the lossy signal you get from toslink (due to limited bandwidth), plus you don't have to deal with the inevitable problems of a component converting a digital signal to analog, that likely employs low quality DACs (digital-analog converters).

Used blu-ray players are a dime a dozen, though it takes a bit of searching to find ones with analog outputs. But they can be found- a quick google search netted me this: less than $60 shipped (though no remote)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393432411594?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
I'm sure there's other deals with even more value

OK, so I took ProgRules advice (thanks!) and bought a BDP-S550 for 40 bucks and a remote for another 15 and am now enjoying the surround mixes in the SPLHCB set as well as from the White album and Abbey Road. I have to admit it is wonderful.

I am one of the weird ones who enjoys listening to Revolution 9 and it sure is neat hearing all the different elements coming from all four speakers (I have it set up in quad, not 5.1).

Doug

Doug, which remote did you get? A generic one or a Sony?

I have a Sony BDP & need a remote too! 😆

I bought a DEHA remote on eBay and, although it's missing a couple of features (theater mode button and time button, I believe), it works fine with the Sony player. Those two features aren't really critical or even necessary, anyway. It looks a lot like the Sony remote, too. The Sony player works perfectly.

Seller on eBay for the remote is "dehabrand".

Doug

Last edited:
Which brings up the question, what the heck do people do with the remotes? There are very few used players including the original remote. The players come with them when new and you really need the remote to effectively operate the player.

I guess it could be the sellers selling the remotes separately to make money but you see almost no genuine remotes either.

Kind of like selling a turntable without the platter or tonearm.

Doug

Which brings up the question, what the heck do people do with the remotes? There are very few used players including the original remote. The players come with them when new and you really need the remote to effectively operate the player.

I guess it could be the sellers selling the remotes separately to make money but you see almost no genuine remotes either.

Doug
They have lost the remote or dropped it and broken it.

Or the cheap batteries they put in corroded and destroyed the remote.

I'm in tears listening to Sgt. Pepper's... and Strawberry Fields... like this. It really is quite overwhelming.

Doug
Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane don't need it, but the rest of the disc sounds more "surroundy" if you boost the rear channels 3-4dB.

The Abbey Road release is sublime IMO.

Doug
It seems if you buy from an actual owner, you usually get the remote because they were using the equipment at some point. But most that sell on Ebay are without remotes because they either come from a pawn shop, an estate sale, an abandoned storage unit or some other 3rd party source. In those cases, the remote was likely lost or forgotten somewhere along the chain of ownership and the sellers have no idea the unit needs it to operate properly.

Back