Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World (5.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came this morning along with a couple of other things, I'm most of the way through the Blu-ray now 5.1 LPCM. They haven't strayed too far from their usual formula and I'm loving the music, the sound and mix is really good, there are some cool videos accompanying the music too, a write up on the recording process and fabulous artwork in the book too.
View attachment 72820

Which is the one on top of the TPT bluray?

Thanks Century Media! Has it shipped?!

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 5.02.47 PM.png

Same but you can order from Amazon for $50.88 +tax and no shipping with an expected delivery of Thanksgiving - early December.

Just got an order cancellation notice from ImportCD - no reason was given. Curious if anyone knows the status of this release?
My order was cancelled as well. I was on the fence about getting this deluxe package anyway. I will think about it and decide whether I want to play the waiting game or just get the regular cd. I have every album DT has put out but I haven't been thrilled with their last few albums so maybe I am better off.

My order was cancelled as well. I was on the fence about getting this deluxe package anyway. I will think about it and decide whether I want to play the waiting game or just get the regular cd. I have every album DT has put out but I haven't been thrilled with their last few albums so maybe I am better off.

Dream theater were my favourite band from the early 90’s until around 2010, The Astonishing album single handedly killed my “love” for them, although Distance over time was a good return to form, this is a good album but it’s all much of a muchness to me now, similar sounding songs and riffs, it would appear they have reached the point where they have been so original for so long that they have run out of ideas now, sad to say i’m not sure i’ll be buying many future albums

Dream theater were my favourite band from the early 90’s until around 2010, The Astonishing album single handedly killed my “love” for them, although Distance over time was a good return to form, this is a good album but it’s all much of a muchness to me now, similar sounding songs and riffs, it would appear they have reached the point where they have been so original for so long that they have run out of ideas now, sad to say i’m not sure i’ll be buying many future albums
I agree. There is a balance to be had between musical virtuosity and writing a catchy tune. They still can play their asses off and I admire them for that but, for me, I find their last few albums inaccessible with regards to the actual songs themselves. I find it hard to find songs that stick with me and make me want to re-listen to the album when I reach the end. Too many songs just seem like a lot of notes crammed together with no purpose other than to show what great musicians they are.

The last 2 posts absolutely capture my feelings about DT. I remember when I first heard them, I was blown away at how original they sounded and how great they were. Now, I when I hear them playing more recent tunes, I feel absolutely bored to tears. As a result, I have't purchased DT since way back. I simply find them nearly unlistenable. As hard as that is to believe....

The last 2 posts absolutely capture my feelings about DT. I remember when I first heard them, I was blown away at how original they sounded and how great they were. Now, I when I hear them playing more recent tunes, I feel absolutely bored to tears. As a result, I have't purchased DT since way back. I simply find them nearly unlistenable. As hard as that is to believe....
I agree, having bought the last few, however this new one I actually liked, not like Images and Words, but I still liked it. When Images and Words came out I was a drummer who subscribed to a drummer magazine, that always had a section at back with some new album releases, Images and Words being one of them with Mike Portnoy, bought the album, loved it, and right after they came to San Francisco and played The Warfield, I think the whole crowd was drummers and everyone was blown away. John Petrucci, doing a solo came to front of stage, started walking backwards and tripped over the PA speaker and I swear did not miss a note fell right on his back. When everyone was leaving I heard a fellow drummer say" either we quit being drummers or practice a lot harder".

Regarding Dream Theater's 5.1 channel album mixes over the years are the following the only albums they offered in 5.1:

Systematic Chaos - legacy lossy audio only
Dream Theater - DVD-A (that's the version I have)
Distance Over Time - Blu-ray Audio
A View From the Top of The World - Blu-ray Audio

So unless there are albums I'm not aware of if they started offering lossless audio back with their self titled Dream Theater album, odd that they didn't offer it on the follow-up album, The Astonishing. Similar for lossy audio, odd they didn't continue that trend on Black Clouds & Silver Lining and A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Back