Music DVD Poll Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2010 Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the 5.1 mix of "Tubular Bells"

• Total voters
So... Boxed includes otherwise unreleased Quad mixes of HR and Ommadawn too? Plus that 4th disc of singles? Real Quad mixes, not upmixes?
They are all real quad mixes, SQ encoded, including the 4th disc of singles. Boxed Tubular Bells is exactly the same mix as the discrete quad SACD. I don't know if any of the other discs had other releases, I'd check for SQ vinyl. Boxed and the SACD were re-releases, the quad mixes weren't done then.

Life in Surround Overview of the Quad SACD, 2003 rerecording and 2009 remix.
Posting here to get this version more votes! I voted 7. A solid acquisition, but I like the other versions better.

I know you strive for at least one mistake per video and so I watch out for them (in the hope I might win a prize, I guess). And so your mistake here is about Richard Branson welcomingly opening his studio doors to Mike Oldfield. That was in fact to the krautrock band Faust (for Faust IV, I think). Branson must have been a fan of the band. My recollection is, Faust informally let Mike Oldfield use the studio during the nights, when they weren't using it. So Branson probably ended up being a big winner by accident. My source for the info is the liner notes for Faust IV (if I've go the right one).

Thanks for the review - Tub is such a wonderful album! ... And can't wait for your VdGG review (my all time fave band). :)

I know you strive for at least one mistake per video and so I watch out for them (in the hope I might win a prize, I guess). And so your mistake here is about Richard Branson welcomingly opening his studio doors to Mike Oldfield. That was in fact to the krautrock band Faust (for Faust IV, I think). Branson must have been a fan of the band. My recollection is, Faust informally let Mike Oldfield use the studio during the nights, when they weren't using it. So Branson probably ended up being a big winner by accident. My source for the info is the liner notes for Faust IV (if I've go the right one).

Thanks for the review - Tub is such a wonderful album! ... And can't wait for your VdGG review (my all time fave band). :)
Branson released the Faust Tapes LP on Virgin for 49p (one of the label launch albums?), and got them in the studio to record IV. I think it was Tom Newman who was engineering the Faust album that actually let Mike Oldfield use the studio (The Manor) at night. But my recollection is a bit hazy, it was a while ago!

I bought this when it first came out. I was intrigued with the idea of how much of a remix this would be (Oldfield had already done this a time or two before), and he did it right this time. The original quad sounded very cluttered; the beginning just sort of faded in, and he played around with quad effects a lot more. The first remix, as heard in the "Boxed" box set (and also the quad SACD), did unclutter the sound somewhat. The 2010 5.1 remix balanced the elements of the work a bit more, and brought out some more of the detail the other mixes didn't. The downside is the use of Dolby Digital only for the surround sound. His subsequent remixes, of "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn" included DTS.

My copies of the CD/DVD sets "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn" are in Dolby Digital 5.1 only , and not in DTS .
The first CD/DVD set of Oldfield' s reissues with DTS that I have is "Five Miles Out".
;)

Mike Oldfield had nothing to do with any of the original 1970s multi channel mixes of Tubular Bells. By the "original quad" I think you mean the one that was an upmix from the stereo which came out on CD-4 in the UK. The SQ encoded in "Boxed" set and on the quad SACD was mixed (and some parts re-recorded since they were missing from the multi tracks) by an engineer, as described in great detail in the booklet in the SACD. Mike just listened to it, didn't want any changes, and it went out of the door. It was meant to be a demo so some liberties were taken, it was assumed Mike would want changes. Mike Oldfield wasn't involved in any of the multi channel mixes of Tubular Bells until the 2010 5.1 remix.

@Owen Smith
Really , it also came out as a CD-4 Quadradisc at the same time (1973) as the SQ Vinyl in the UK ?
That's something I was unaware of until now , Owen .
I only know of the 73 SQ mix from the UK of which I have the first pressing and a 2nd .
Also I have the CD-4 from the U.S. on Atlantic Records

20211014_081058.jpg
20211014_081033.jpg
20211013_212704.jpg
20211014_082454.jpg

QV2001 is the upmix from stereo I believe. This has all been covered in great detail on QQ in the past.

I have no doubts that it is an upmix from stereo.
What surprises me is that it was simultaneously released in CD-4 , in the UK ?
I only know of the CD-4 pressing from the U.S. QD 13 - 105.
And of course the latter Japanese UD-4 pressing of the 73 disc.

I have no doubts that it is an upmix from stereo.
What surprises me is that it was simultaneously released in CD-4 , in the UK ?
I only know of the CD-4 pressing from the U.S. QD 13 - 105.
And of course the latter Japanese UD-4 pressing of the 73 disc.
I thought QV2001 was a CD-4 pressing, when it looks like it is the SQ UK release of the same upmix as the CD-4 in the US. I obviously put two and two together and got five at some point.

I brought the deluxe box in Hong Kong years ago and it has been a long time favourite since. Fantastic surround mix from me.

My copies of the CD/DVD sets "Hergest Ridge" and "Ommadawn" are in Dolby Digital 5.1 only , and not in DTS .
The first CD/DVD set of Oldfield' s reissues with DTS that I have is "Five Miles Out".
;)

It is a bummer that Tubular Bells is the only new MCH mix from Mike that had a lossless option available. I would gladly pay $25/ea to download all the other DD and DD/dts 5.1 mixes he has done as FLACs

It is a bummer that Tubular Bells is the only new MCH mix from Mike that had a lossless option available. I would gladly pay $25/ea to download all the other DD and DD/dts 5.1 mixes he has done as FLACs

I assume that your referring to the EMI 4ch SACD , released in 2000 ? (BTW that was their first multi)
Or is it the 5.1 DVD-A from WEA from 2003 .

Bowers & Wilkins released the 2009 5.1 mix as a 24/48 FLAC 5.1 download via their Society of Sound collection...and never did another. Glad I managed to snag it.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/63813https://www.discogs.com/release/13387755-Mike-Oldfield-Tubular-Bells

So I gather that B&W did a few like the 2009 Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells ?

Oh... and I maybe wrong about the EMI 4CH SACD issue year . It could be 1999 . All's I know is that it was their first Multichannel SACD .

Last edited:
So I gather that B&W did a few like the 2009 Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells ?

Oh... and I maybe wrong about the EMI 4CH SACD issue year . It could be 1999 . All's I know is that it was their first Multichannel SACD .

The only releases I saw were Peter Gabriel's "So" (24-bit stereo) and Tubular Bells 2009 (24-bit stereo and 5.1 available)

I was really hoping they would do Ommadawn. :-(

Found a Way Back Machine archive from 2014 of the Tubular Bells order page:
https://web.archive.org/web/2014080...und/Society_of_Sound/Music/Tubular_Bells.html
Now I remember, I had to change my billing address from Canada to my buddy's house in Buffalo so I could order it, lol.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Only available to U .S. customers , no doubt !

Oh well better you got it , rather than the alternative. For me I'd prefer "Hergest Ridge" in surround or quad. I Have some nostalgic memories from when I first heard the 1976 Boxed version in SQ matrix. But a close 2nd choice would be "Ommadawn".

😉

I wonder why they'd lock out the Canucks ?
Isn't B&W a U .K. audiophile supplier ? :unsure:
Yes, B&W is a major UK audiophile supplier. So supplying the UK market seems a pretty obvious thing for them to do. Why lock out Canada? No idea, but they need the rights to sell the music in every jurisdiction they sell it in. The more countries they operate in the more work that becomes. And at the time the UK was in the EU hence in the single market, so being able to sell it in the UK probably meant being able to sell it anywhere in the EU.

Back