Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm impressed by the fact that both versions of this album--the original and the "deluxe" edition, with a handful of added remixes--are available in Atmos. Agreed, it's a good one, and I'd pay for an optical disc, too. (Hey, Verve: let us put more money in your--and Jon Batiste's--pockets!)

P.S.: Here's a nice profile/interview with Batiste:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...mposer-jon-batiste-i-see-jazz-as-a-superpower

Eleven--count 'em, eleven--Grammy nominations!
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/23/arts/music/jon-batiste-grammy-nominations.html

VibraSÓN, Llegó VibraSÓN! (BDA, 2019). Veteran SF Bay Area salsa band with a great dance record. Tight playing and a super-active mix by Michael Romanowski (who also mixed Oakland soul/funkster Fantastic Negrito's Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? in Atmos for the streaming services). Released two years ago this week. If you feel yourself flagging as you're prepping your big holiday meal, this will get your energy level back up!
https://vibrason.bandcamp.com/album/lleg-vibras-n

VibraSÓN, Llegó VibraSÓN! (BDA, 2019). Veteran SF Bay Area salsa band with a great dance record. Tight playing and a super-active mix by Michael Romanowski (who also mixed Oakland soul/funkster Fantastic Negrito's Have You Lost Your Mind Yet? in Atmos for the streaming services). Released two years ago this week. If you feel yourself flagging as you're prepping your big holiday meal, this will get your energy level back up!
https://vibrason.bandcamp.com/album/lleg-vibras-n

nice info, thank you! ✌️☺️ i remember that Fantastic Negrito being pretty good in Atmos so i shall definitely check this out!

Air, 10 000 Hz Legend (BDA). First: this sounds so much better at 4-5 Mbps than at 768 k! Second: I know some longtime fans of this band would have preferred to a see a different album be first in line for the Atmos treatment, but this is my introduction to Air, and I'm perfectly happy. Really compelling album, and it makes me want to explore the rest of their catalog. As for the mix: I think it's right up there with the best Atmos mixes I've heard so far. Full use of all channels, including overheads--the latter not just for stray, subtle effects. (But that, too!) Only...what's up with "Radio #1" at 3:15 or so, where the music recedes and the voice (singing along to the "radio"?) comes forward? I have to assume that's deliberate, but the effect isn't nearly as pronounced on the stereo mix.

Air, 10 000 Hz Legend (BDA). First: this sounds so much better at 4-5 Mbps than at 768 k!
That's what I've been saying, let's see 768 K divided by 6 channels is what ... ⚙⚙⚙ uhhh 128K! (isn't that mp3 territory?)

then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about?

That's what I've been saying, let's see 768 K divided by 6 channels is what ... ⚙⚙⚙ uhhh 128K! (isn't that mp3 territory?)

When you buy a disc you want it to sound so much better than on Apple Music, even if I can hear the difference, I rather save the money for other things in life. But that's me. :cool:

When you buy a disc you want it to sound so much better than on Apple Music, even if I can hear the difference, I rather save the money for other things in life. But that's me. :cool:

I'll meet you halfway, @perzon57! I'm happy with the sound quality of many of the Atmos and Dolby Audio offerings on Apple Music, especially those things that I don't want to shell out the big bucks for anyway! (Like All Things Must Pass, for instance.) But even after correcting for expectation bias (and "I spent good money on this, so by god it will sound better!" bias), some things just sound better on disc.

Some knowledgeable-sounding person--maybe it was @pat bateman?--posted about this on one thread or another, sometime in the last few months, and I think the gist of the post was: depending upon what-all is going on in the music at any given moment, sometimes 768 kbps is sufficient for transmitting all the relevant audio information. Sometimes not.

But at the end of the day, I agree: it all depends upon how much that matters to you. Amazingly, there are other things to spend money on besides multi-channel music...

I'll meet you halfway, @perzon57! I'm happy with the sound quality of many of the Atmos and Dolby Audio offerings on Apple Music, especially those things that I don't want to shell out the big bucks for anyway! (Like All Things Must Pass, for instance.) But even after correcting for expectation bias (and "I spent good money on this, so by god it will sound better!" bias), some things just sound better on disc.

Some knowledgeable-sounding person--maybe it was @pat bateman?--posted about this on one thread or another, sometime in the last few months, and I think the gist of the post was: depending upon what-all is going on in the music at any given moment, sometimes 768 kbps is sufficient for transmitting all the relevant audio information. Sometimes not.

But at the end of the day, I agree: it all depends upon how much that matters to you. Amazingly, there are other things to spend money on besides multi-channel music...
Hey, fair enough, just some thoughts to consider and a lot of it has to start with the mastering as well.

Also, where else are we going to get most of this music in a surround format (even if I feel like I'm listening to something back in the AM radio days?)

At the end of the day, it's all business driven, and they're controlling and protecting their content; times are changing towards the streaming world.

Kiss Destroyer is not playing in ATMOS or even 5.1 for me. It says it is on my phone but not on my Apple 4k box. What gives???
Everything else plays fine.

EDIT: It looks as if they separated it out as the 2021 Remaster and it is not part of the 45th anniversary selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back