Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to do with Apple, they put out what the labels give them. So it is the labels that are "paying no attention".
Oh, you mean Apple didn't roll out Dolby and Atmos and surround compatibility first, and then put out the word to the labels on what they wanted/needed? I've always assumed that Apple and iTunes had a type of A&R dept working on what they wanted on their platform. Like when they hired longtime Rhino Records executive Gary Stewart, to help curate the albums and singles and creation of playlists, I thought that was to help them decide what to go for for licensing. At least that was what Gary told me before his death a couple of years ago.

Given that tvOS 15 and 15.1 (and the current 15.2 beta) don't play back Dolby Audio properly without requiring the user to skip back to the beginning of each track after 5 or so seconds of play, no, I don't think it is a priority for Apple.

Oh, you mean Apple didn't roll out Dolby and Atmos and surround compatibility first, and then put out the word to the labels on what they wanted/needed? I've always assumed that Apple and iTunes had a type of A&R dept working on what they wanted on their platform. Like when they hired longtime Rhino Records executive Gary Stewart, to help curate the albums and singles and creation of playlists, I thought that was to help them decide what to go for for licensing. At least that was what Gary told me before his death a couple of years ago.

Given that tvOS 15 and 15.1 (and the current 15.2 beta) don't play back Dolby Audio properly without requiring the user to skip back to the beginning of each track after 5 or so seconds of play, no, I don't think it is a priority for Apple.
No, not all of the Dolby is real Dolby, AC-3 or otherwise. I would not concern yourself with ff>> or <<rw to tracks, or technical names at this point. It's all too new. Not all the surround listed is even real surround. We may as well stick to the topic which is the A&R type of skills involved. so that Apple does not get stuck with whatever any labels want to throw at them. Apple has some checks in place and wishes to get prime materials.

Last edited:
"No, not all of the Dolby is real Dolby, AC-3 or otherwise".

What did I say that you are saying "No" to and what does that even mean?

Why would I not concern myself with a bug in the AppleTV software that requires me to hit <<rw after 5 seconds of playback in order to hear the a track properly. It is incredibly annoying and prevents me from relaxing and enjoying the music.

Nothing to do with Apple, they put out what the labels give them. So it is the labels that are "paying no attention".
Apple puts out what they have negotiated the rights to put out. The label and artist are part of that. Sometimes it’s easy. Many times it’s not.

Do you think Sony just “gave” the Pink Floyd 5.1 stuff to Apple?

WE need SA&W and S&S really bad too. Love those albums I really do.
This one is really buggy for me. The track starts with just the left front. When I press the back button, instead of starting at th3 beginning, it switches to another song, and that one only plays through left front . When I hit the back button, it takes me to another song ??????

This one is really buggy for me. The track starts with just the left front. When I press the back button, instead of starting at th3 beginning, it switches to another song, and that one only plays through left front . When I hit the back button, it takes me to another song ??????

If you don't let it play 5-10 seconds it will skip back to the previous track.

OK, no new posts here in going on two weeks. Is there a new fresh update with new albums that have appeared in quad from the Sony/BMG catalogs?

After the Sony Japan 7" Santana, and maybe a nice batch of DV quads on SACD, this is all I am now looking forward to. I am not going to let this thread die, but rather look seriously at what I can do to stream Apple Music to my 5.1 equipment.

OK, no new posts here in going on two weeks. Is there a new fresh update with new albums that have appeared in quad from the Sony/BMG catalogs?

After the Sony Japan 7" Santana, and maybe a nice batch of DV quads on SACD, this is all I am now looking forward to. I am not going to let this thread die, but rather look seriously at what I can do to stream Apple Music to my 5.1 equipment.

Well im waiting on Apple 4k Tv n will hook it upto my oppo hdmi to play in 5.1
Should have it hopefully this Saturday
Had to order thru best buy 4xs before order stuck. Place online order then couple later i get email saying order is cxld...im like WTF???
4th time a charm

Well im waiting on Apple 4k Tv n will hook it upto my oppo hdmi to play in 5.1
Should have it hopefully this Saturday
Had to order thru best buy 4xs before order stuck. Place online order then couple later i get email saying order is cxld...im like WTF???
4th time a charm
That’s our new modern tech, it just works…. Until it doesn’t.

Wow what a clusterf*ck trying to get appletv setup to work first apple product n what a nightmare

Tempeted to just drop it back to bestbuy for refund. Two days n hours later just trying to create appleid to use the damn thing :(
Maybe creating an Apple ID before even hooking up the damn thing is the way to go. I think I have an Apple ID from my iPhone account setup, no?

At any rate I’m buying the cheapest Apple TV used model that will work for streaming quadraphonic masters. I’m just not into spending a lotta cash on this adventure. Light subscription fees are fine, and a c-note on a box and I’m in.

Wow what a clusterf*ck trying to get appletv setup to work first apple product n what a nightmare

Tempeted to just drop it back to bestbuy for refund. Two days n hours later just trying to create appleid to use the damn thing :(

I would love to hear what makes creating an Apple ID so hard. It is just like creating an account with any other online service / website as far as I know.

I’m in the same boat - just have a 5.1 system and Oppo 103-D. I purchased an Apple TV HD yesterday and will sign up for Apple Music so I don’t feel left behind reading all the “Listening to now in Dolby Atmos” posts, haha. But I just spoke to Apple yesterday and asked what would happen if I selected a Dolby Atmos song, not having any Atmos compatibility with my receiver, player or TV. They said that Apple TV would down-convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1, so I thought that was good news. At least I don’t have to limit myself to Dolby Audio selections.

I’m in the same boat - just have a 5.1 system and Oppo 103-D. I purchased an Apple TV HD yesterday and will sign up for Apple Music so I don’t feel left behind reading all the “Listening to now in Dolby Atmos” posts, haha. But I just spoke to Apple yesterday and asked what would happen if I selected a Dolby Atmos song, not having any Atmos compatibility with my receiver, player or TV. They said that Apple TV would down-convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1, so I thought that was good news. At least I don’t have to limit myself to Dolby Audio selections.
That’s how I’ve been listening to it.
ATV4K (with OStv 14.7) ->into Oppo 205 HDMI, then out analog to a Non Atmos Marantz AVR 5.1/4.0
Do you have the Apple TV 4K?

Maybe creating an Apple ID before even hooking up the damn thing is the way to go. I think I have an Apple ID from my iPhone account setup, no?

At any rate I’m buying the cheapest Apple TV used model that will work for streaming quadraphonic masters. I’m just not into spending a lotta cash on this adventure. Light subscription fees are fine, and a c-note on a box and I’m in.
That’s what I did a few months ago. Once I realized the unit I bought still had the pre-surround OS and updated it, it was no problem whatsoever for me to get it working.

Back