Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread title mentions Tidal and Apple, but...
has anybody tried Amazon Music Unlimited yet?
It's supposed to offer Atmos too.
Not me, But I’ve been considering it, they also have 360RA with some potential Quad IINM. Need to know more about streaming quality first though!

Not me, But I’ve been considering it, they also have 360RA with some potential Quad IINM. Need to know more about streaming quality first though!
I'll probably try it soon, to prepare for an Atmos streaming 101 video.
Is there any data regarding stream quality between the services? They aren't exactly the same?

I'll probably try it soon, to prepare for an Atmos streaming 101 video.
Is there any data regarding stream quality between the services? They aren't exactly the same?
As prep homework, Baggy, you should slog through that 4-1/2 hour panel discussion that was mentioned yesterday. Lots of discussion throughout about Apple's outsized role in driving Atmos, including some discussion of the tech specs imposed upon mixers and labels. (And lots of grousing about Atmos-for-Headphones....) I listened to the whole thing, broken up into a few increments over the course of the day as I was doing housework, and I think I found it more compelling than @fredblue did :eek: :geek::unsure::sleep:). Andrew Scheps is good at clearing up confusion about terminology, there's some talk about the complications introduced by the "Apple Spatial" format, repeated complaints about the volume levels problem, and lots of discussion about the business of Atmos: who (if anyone) is making or stands to make money off it and how, who is getting paid (and how much), quality control, etc., etc. I don't remember anything specific about streaming bitrates, and unfortunately there's no transcript. (I asked.) But I found it as fascinating at times--okay, and also as tedious at times--as the The Beatles: Get Back...

Last edited:

So far Amazon Music Unlimited is still only delivering Atmos to Echo Studio speakers and mobile devices, though? Bizarre, since Fire Sticks have been serving up Atmos on Tidal to AVRs for over a year now.
https://www.dolby.com/experience/amazon-music/

Freddie baby may know more about that :unsure:
@fredblue

Here's what seems to be relevant page at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15730321011
What is spatial audio?
Spatial audio is an immersive audio format included with Amazon Music Unlimited for playback through the iOS or Android Amazon Music app with any headphones. You can also cast from any source to select smart speakers, such as the Echo Studio, Sony SRS-RA3000, and Sony SRS-RA5000.

To me Amazon doesn't count right now b/c it's only Echo or mobile device to headphones.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.31.19 PM.png

To me Amazon doesn't count right now b/c it's only Echo or mobile device to headphones.

View attachment 74008

"don't knock it 'til you've tried it!" as the saying goes! 😂

more seriously, i was quite pleasantly surprised by some of the Surround-y-ness in the AirPod Pros when i was flicking through tracks recently, not great but not as bad as i 'feared'!

Last edited:
"don't knock it 'til you've tried it!" as the saying goes! 😂

more seriously, i was quite pleasantly surprised by some of the Surround-y-ness in the AirPod Pros when i was flicking through tracks recently, not great but not as bad as i 'feared'!
If the darn pods wouldn't fall out of my ears LOL that could help! 😂

Back