Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in the same boat - just have a 5.1 system and Oppo 103-D. I purchased an Apple TV HD yesterday and will sign up for Apple Music so I don’t feel left behind reading all the “Listening to now in Dolby Atmos” posts, haha. But I just spoke to Apple yesterday and asked what would happen if I selected a Dolby Atmos song, not having any Atmos compatibility with my receiver, player or TV. They said that Apple TV would down-convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1, so I thought that was good news. At least I don’t have to limit myself to Dolby Audio selections.
The Apple TV 4K sends Atmos out as 7.1 24/48 PCM. It’s up to your receiver to manipulate that into 5.1. For the most part that’s a function of how you have your speaker settings set up.

That’s how I’ve been listening to it.
ATV4K (with OStv 14.7) ->into Oppo 205 HDMI, then out analog to a Non Atmos Marantz AVR 5.1/4.0
Do you have the Apple TV 4K?
I do not, just the HD. But it’s still in shrink-wrap so it’s only $30 more to swap for the 4K. Should I? I don’t have a 4K tv or player, and Apple said the fidelity of the down-convert is the same for 4K and HD Apple TV’s.

I do not, just the HD. But it’s still in shrink-wrap so it’s only $30 more to swap for the 4K. Should I? I don’t have a 4K tv or player, and Apple said the fidelity of the down-convert is the same for 4K and HD Apple TV’s.
IDK Mark, it’s my understanding you need an Apple 4K model to get the Atmos stuff, you don’t need an actual 4K TV, I just have a HD Samsung TV.

Well ive got it apple tv 4k up n running

Definitely a learning curve to using remote. Ive got it input to my oppo hdmi input n output to my non hdmi non atmos old ass pioneer avr for 5.1

Yes ive experienced the no rear speakers output several times n had to backup song playing to reset it. The way it is. Its hard to find "atmos" files/songs but ive just been wondering around searching for stuff

Yes i can hear the difference in say a blu ray vs streaming as far as sound quality goes but hey ive listened to some Ojays Lennon Beatles etc in surround thru it so yep consider it a subscription radio in surround.
Next up ill try starting a playlist

Yes Create an apple id on computer before beginning ur Apple TV setup!

Correct. At present, you must have the AppleTV 4K to do the real Atmos or Dolby Audio stuff.
@marcb knows this stuff way better than I; I'd say swap it out, as you get to future proof your gear a little as a bonus.

@marcb knows this stuff way better than I; I'd say swap it out, as you get to future proof your gear a little as a bonus.
I‘m flattered by the undeserved praise!

If the AppleTV 4K is used or old stock, make sure it’s updated with, at minimum, the OS version capable of surround playback loaded or you won’t get surround playback. I can’t remember which version that was, but you can simply update to the current version if needed. You’ll get the playback bug (which has a relatively simple workaround) at least until the current beta version becomes an official release (which hopefully is imminent).

I‘m flattered by the undeserved praise!

If the AppleTV 4K is used or old stock, make sure it’s updated with, at minimum, the OS version capable of surround playback loaded or you won’t get surround playback. I can’t remember which version that was, but you can simply update to the current version if needed. You’ll get the playback bug (which has a relatively simple workaround) at least until the current beta version becomes an official release (which hopefully is imminent).
14.6 I think…

I’m in the same boat - just have a 5.1 system and Oppo 103-D. I purchased an Apple TV HD yesterday and will sign up for Apple Music so I don’t feel left behind reading all the “Listening to now in Dolby Atmos” posts, haha. But I just spoke to Apple yesterday and asked what would happen if I selected a Dolby Atmos song, not having any Atmos compatibility with my receiver, player or TV. They said that Apple TV would down-convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1, so I thought that was good news. At least I don’t have to limit myself to Dolby Audio selections.
You're not missing much. I have an Apple TV 4K --> Marantz AV8805 --> 5.1.4 and there is not a lot of difference.

if it were not a post by someone of his ilk i would question setup etc. as a possible reason for not finding much difference but it can't be that?
I'm sure his setup is top notch, but as a follower of his writings in Stereophile for years, I don't think Steven Wilson, Kraftwerk or Yello is his go to music, I think of him more as a classical man.

I'm sure his setup is top notch, but as a follower of his writings in Stereophile for years, I don't think Steven Wilson, Kraftwerk or Yello is his go to music, I think of him more as a classical man.

yeah i get that, it maybe just not their cuppa tea 🙂

so if its not setup related, kinda begs the question why someone of that calibre would waste their time chipping into a thread they have little or no interest in to basically just come and shit all over it? 🤔

Yeah but I like Yello. Oh Yeah! I think it is not a matter of genre but of what sonic properties one prioritizes. I like specificity (among other stuff).

Wow what a clusterf*ck trying to get appletv setup to work first apple product n what a nightmare

Tempeted to just drop it back to bestbuy for refund. Two days n hours later just trying to create appleid to use the damn thing :(

creating an appleid is as simple as putting in your email address and choosing a password, nothing remotely difficult about it

Back