Alan Parsons Project- “I Robot”!! Where is it?!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what all the trepidation is about. I purchased all of the Parsons releases so far and I didn't have to buy a bloated set to get any of them. All were released as stand alone versions, though it may have been a short time after the big box release.

Fortunately, Parsons is gentlemanly enough to release standalone versions. There are a number of releases that I did not buy because my level of interest was not enough to warrant the cost of a big box set...dare I mention Gene Clark, among others.

Fortunately, Parsons is gentlemanly enough to release standalone versions. There are a number of releases that I did not buy because my level of interest was not enough to warrant the cost of a big box set...dare I mention Gene Clark, among others.
I also think he's smart enough to know that by not doing so he's leaving money on the table due to smaller sales.

The Alan Parsons Project ‎– I Robot
HDAD 24/192 stereo

"While there is some unavoidable analog tape hiss present, this DAD is overall the quietest version of this recording I've ever heard. This helps contribute to the excellent dynamics, in both loud and soft passages, that are the most impressive aspect of the sonic upgrade the remastering offers.
The better your system, the more you should appreciate what's been done here, because it's the low-level details that are improved all around rather than any big alteration in how the recording sounds"

View attachment 70032View attachment 70033
This is the crazy version I have…I am not clever enough to analyze wave forms and DR values, but I can tell you it sounds a lot better to my ears than my (ancient) CD.
But more to the point, if there was ever a release that screams to be released in multichannel, it is this one!
May the surround gods smile on us one day (before I croak…)

My understanding is that the HDAD is the version to get for the stereo. Although it is out of print and usually not cheap. I do have a copy and it sounds great!

Meanwhile, the album is begging for a surround mix and one would assume that - knowing how well the other mixes have turned out - this mix would be spectacular. The wait continues...

Update on Alan Parsons Facebook: Turn of a Friendly Card deluxe edition is being worked upon for a release in spring 2022.
I guess we won't see I Robot until 2023, hope I'm wrong

Maybe "I Robot" will be out in deluxe form in the Fall of 2022.
Either way, I'm just excited that we are finally getting the deluxe release of Turn of a Friendly Card!

:)

The Raven (song) is the best (I like the Alan Parsons remix one on his Valid Path album too, which is DTS only) both in 5.1 surround. Eye in the Sky is great also (I have that on Blu-Ray). I've only listened to I Robot once (stereo only which is probably why I haven't played it more). They should move to Atmos, though. Neural X works pretty well, though.

My suggestion is that you listen to your stereo I Robot thru the Surround Master - you just might change your mind.

Cheers: John R

The latest issue of Shindig! magazine has an interview with Alan. Basically a quick overview of his career.

Relevant to this thread is the following...

“I’m hoping that I Robot will be the next album to receive the box set treatment and 5.1 mix. I have a Dolby Atmos setup now, so I’ll be getting into that much more, not only with my own albums, but other people’s as well. I’m going to be looking at doing remixes of other products as well as my own now too.”

And with that, the interview ends. Oh how I wish I had done the interview so I could follow-up on a few things just in those three sentences.

The latest issue of Shindig! magazine has an interview with Alan. Basically a quick overview of his career.

“I’m hoping that I Robot will be the next album to receive the box set treatment and 5.1 mix. I have a Dolby Atmos setup now, so I’ll be getting into that much more, not only with my own albums, but other people’s as well. I’m going to be looking at doing remixes of other products as well as my own now too.”

And with that, the interview ends. Oh how I wish I had done the interview so I could follow-up on a few things just in those three sentences.
Even the mention of "box set" doesn't really bother me much in the case of this pending surround title...
& Atmos??? :)

Even the mention of "box set" doesn't really bother me much in the case of this pending surround title...
& Atmos??? :)
This is where I’d want some follow-up. He says I Robot will be 5.1, then says Atmos with “my own albums.”

I take that to mean his post-APP work, but I would love to be wrong and have it mean we will eventually get APP albums in Atmos. Which would lead to another question... on disc, or just streaming?

That is the one APP album that would get me to spring for the whole box - not just a stand-alone disc. I’ll take any extras he’s got - even scarves & marbles 🥸

That is the one APP album that would get me to spring for the whole box - not just a stand-alone disc. I’ll take any extras he’s got - even scarves & marbles 🥸
If it is ever released for sale you won’t be able to purchase it online without first clicking the box to verify that “I am not a robot.”

Hopefully his minimal work with the Floyd hasn’t rubbed off marbles and scarves onto him! Hehe, but seriously, it if is a stripped down shell of a release like “Eye In the Sky” and “Tales Of Mystery and Imagination”, I am all in. Big ol’ box set? As long as it doesn’t have Pink Floyd box set prices!

Back