The Doors, "L.A. Woman" 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Rhino) with Atmos Streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am done with repurchasing The Doors albums. I have the Perception box and, unless SW decides to take a crack at them in 5.1 or Atmos, I am happy with what I have.
All these artists are really trying to suck the money out of the few fans who still care. I think we will be inundated with pricey 50 year anniversary deluxe box sets for the next 10-20 years so it's time to get selective. Very selective.

I think I am done with repurchasing The Doors albums. I have the Perception box and, unless SW decides to take a crack at them in 5.1 or Atmos, I am happy with what I have.
All these artists are really trying to suck the money out of the few fans who still care. I think we will be inundated with pricey 50 year anniversary deluxe box sets for the next 10-20 years so it's time to get selective. Very selective.
Agreed…just posting new releases for everyone to know about for info only….I’m not purchasing everything I post about….I would have been homeless EONS ago 🤣🤣🤣

From San Francisco Chronicle:
Quote:
“A streaming version will also have a Dolby Atmos mix by co-producer and engineer Bruce Botkin.”

The Doors unearth treasures from the vault, and Saweetie continues her superstar ascent The Doors unearth treasures from the vault, and Saweetie continues her superstar ascent

143417523_142275737_72825128_listen1201-1024x721.jpg
Jim Morrison (left), Ray Manzarek, Robbie Krieger and John Densmore of the Doors Photo: Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images
The Chronicle's guide to notable new music.

NEW ALBUMS
The Doors, "L.A. Woman" 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Rhino)
The original demo for the Doors' macabre classic "Riders on the Storm" was thought for decades to be lost, until it was recently discovered on an unmarked tape reel in the band's vault. This incredible recording is now the highlight of two hours of unreleased material from the band that are included in the 50th anniversary deluxe edition of the 1971 album "L.A. Woman."

The release, presented in a set of three CDs and one LP, features the remastered album, which includes some of the band's greatest hits, like "Love Her Madly" and the title track. As a bonus, there are outtakes from the original session recordings of classic blues tracks that Morrison loved, like John Lee Hooker's "Crawling King Snake" and Junior Parker's "Mystery Train." A streaming version will also have a Dolby Atmos mix by co-producer and engineer Bruce Botkin.

Rhino Records Store:
https://store.rhino.com/l-a-woman-50th-anniversary-deluxe-edition.html
1638365313867.png

who the fook is Bruce Botkin...!! 😂

Yes, that must be an early morning typo by the S.F. Chronicle. The Doors played the San Francisco Bay Area millions of times here. I’m old enough to remember, and have an Avalon Ballroom poster of the Doors I managed to get from my older cousins, who saw them.

Yes, that must be an early morning typo by the S.F. Chronicle. The Doors played the San Francisco Bay Area millions of times here. I’m old enough to remember, and have an Avalon Ballroom poster of the Doors I managed to get from my older cousins, who saw them.

its unforgivable really, he's one of the greats.

No multi-channel or Atmos disc, no purchase for me.
I have the stand alone DVDA and Perception box, but it seems crazy not to add a disc with the Atmos mix.

Probably saving that for the 60th Anniversary release when they do a series consistently rather than the hodge podge that this series has been. Some issues done with Vinyl some without, some with bonus tracks some without.

The only consistent thing has been original mixes and no multi channel

you may find that with the box set pitched at a certain price point or release date, there's some practical, maybe timescale or some other logistical issue, possibly due to the Pandemic or something along those lines?

or it may be the case that the budget is there in the box set production to fund the Atmos mixing costs (which are probably not inconsiderable) but there is not enough money in the bix set's production budget to allocate for the production overhead of Blu-ray authoring, replication and so on.

in a weird way box sets without physical disc-based Surround may make Surround more viable thanks to Surround streaming, where a label has incentives and backup from Apple, Dolby, Tidal etc and doesn't have all the added expense and hassle of making Blu-ray discs etc.

(Oppo) food for thought perhaps.. 🤔

another thought occured, the demographic the label or artist is going for may dictate the release method/configuration?

e.g. Quadio is a disc-based "programme" for a more mature audience and/or for audiophiles with speaker systems and home theatres.. while the Atmos Music release is aimed at a younger more casual crowd with iPhones and earbuds?

ah idk, in a way we're lucky to be getting anything 'new' in Surround at all these days, the world's in something of a state of turmoil no doubt affecting all aspects of what goes on behind the scenes with the people making the product we enjoy in our hobby right now.

Probably saving that for the 60th Anniversary release when they do a series consistently rather than the hodge podge that this series has been. Some issues done with Vinyl some without, some with bonus tracks some without.
You mean when anyone that would be interested in hearing it is dead? :)

Same here. Seems silly that they are doing an Atmos mix for streaming only.
Folks better get used to this because I think this is where it’s going. The industry would kill physical discs today if they could, but it’s quite not there yet (however it will be sooner and more sudden than disc lovers want to come to grips with).

The more they can de-content physical releases and force rental over ownership, the better as far as they’re concerned - and I’m guessing they’re getting good deals for streaming exclusivity on Atmos mixes as a carrot. That’s a win-win for the industry and artists.

IMO, it’s actually mostly good because I get to hear a lot of stuff I would never pay huge money for, but there are certainly downsides (which I won’t re-hash here).

another thought occured, the demographic the label or artist is going for may dictate the release method/configuration?

e.g. Quadio is a disc-based "programme" for a more mature audience and/or for audiophiles with speaker systems and home theatres.. while the Atmos Music release is aimed at a younger more casual crowd with iPhones and earbuds?

ah idk, in a way we're lucky to be getting anything 'new' in Surround at all these days, the world's in something of a state of turmoil no doubt affecting all aspects of what goes on behind the scenes with the people making the product we enjoy in our hobby right now.
What good would an Atmos mix be for someone listening with earbuds or without a speaker system?

What good would an Atmos mix be for someone listening with earbuds or without a speaker system?
A number of people seem to actually like it - and I’m gonna guess most people don’t make the distinction between real surround and headphone surround - let alone even understand it.

My worry is the labels and streaming services don’t really care either - and will focus solely on the headphone spatial content down the road.

A number of people seem to actually like it - and I’m gonna guess most people don’t make the distinction between real surround and headphone surround - let alone even understand it.

My worry is the labels and streaming services don’t really care either - and will focus solely on the headphone spatial content down the road.
So you can actually discern an Atmos mix with earbuds? I had no idea. I figured it would just fold down to stereo,

So you can actually discern an Atmos mix with earbuds? I had no idea. I figured it would just fold down to stereo,
I honestly don’t care for it (or about it), so I’m sure there are others who can add more. But it’s not the atmos mix folded down. They basically use an “atmos”algorithm to create fake surround effects when listening on headphones. The effectiveness seems (to me anyway) to vary depending upon the source material. There are several (at least) other algorithms under different names with similar intent.

Think of the old “Q Sound” stereo mixes - but Q Sound was for free standing speakers, not headphones. It certainly added a surround dimension to stereo mixes, but it was not as effective as real discrete surround.

I honestly don’t care for it (or about it), so I’m sure there are others who can add more. But it’s not the atmos mix folded down. They basically use an “atmos”algorithm to create fake surround effects when listening on headphones. The effectiveness seems (to me anyway) to vary depending upon the source material. There are several (at least) other algorithms under different names with similar intent.

Think of the old “Q Sound” stereo mixes - but Q Sound was for free standing speakers, not headphones. It certainly added a surround dimension to stereo mixes, but it was not as effective as real discrete surround.

I agree that unfortunately algorithms are cheaper to produce these days than actual surround mixes by a human mixer.

IOW, it's much cheaper to pay a software engineer from India to script an algorithm than pay Elliot Scheiner to produce, what in the industry's mind, is "almost" the same thing and hence "good enough".

Remember, the industry will always prioritize money over quality.

I'm saying that the industry started this with headphone spatial audio and is now going to use it (algorithms) for most of the streaming releases we are going to hear thru our standalone speakers in the future.

Back