Need to find a repair wizard for akai as 980

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pagan666

Need to find a quad wizard. I took my akai 980 into a local shop. He's had it over a year and is stumped. He's replaced almost everything. One of the volume pots is leaking and he's stumped so I'm getting it back. So any ideas on a shop in midwest that can finish it ?

One of the volume pots is leaking? Pots often need a good cleaning with contact cleaner or Deoxit. At times that doesn't work the so the only solution is to replace the pot. Chances are it's some kind of special unit, hard to find unless sourced from someone who is parting out a similar unit. With a bit of ingenuity it could likely be replaced with a more readily available unit, I'm sure that most shops wouldn't want to bother!

Hopefully someone else can suggest a shop near you, willing to work on your unit!

The only components that might leak are electrolytic capacitors. Ideally they they should all be replaced.

What exactly is the problem with the unit? Noise when adjusting the volume? One channel not working?

There's electronic leakage, a transistor or diode might be described as leaky if it is excessively conducting in the reverse direction.

As mentioned, a description of the symptom is needed. Especially if taking it to another shop, they want to know what it does wrong or doesn't do right. Words from a shop that couldn't fix it could be more hindrance than help.

If I had to guess at what "leaky volume control" means, maybe sound still comes through in one or more channels when the control is down all the way?

I need this part .Amy ideas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211203-154804_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211203-154804_Messenger.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 76
I need this part .Amy ideas

I think that Akai pot has front and rear sections that can be adjusted separately to facilitate front to rear balance. Even their reel to reel decks use a similar pot. It could likely be replaced with a pot like that shown by furui_suterioo or a new Alps 4 section pot but you would lose the balance function. You might need to extend the shaft length. You might find something close or exact by continually searching eBay.

I have a collection of pots similar to furui_suterioo,s example, no separate front and back sections though. I think they are 100K ohms, but the shaft might be long enough. PM me if you want one and I'll dig them out.

Last edited:
The Akai looks like it has 5 pots in there, not 4?

You might be able to disassemble & clean them, or just find another 5 gang pot & replace the pots themselves? The circuit board may be fine.

*edit* or maybe you can rebuild the bad pot(s) by pulling parts from a doner

Last edited:
What is the symptom? Did they lose or break the ganged potentiometer?
What acted wrong about the Akai that made you want to bring it in for service?

I ask because I spent a bunch of $ for a custom pot for a MacIntosh and it didn't fix the channel mistracking isssue for which it was serviced, and I sincerely want to help anyone avoid a time & money waster like what I had.

The Akai looks like it has 5 pots in there, not 4?

You might be able to disassemble & clean them, or just find another 5 gang pot & replace the pots themselves? The circuit board may be fine.

*edit* or maybe you can rebuild the bad pot(s) by pulling parts from a doner
It's only a four section pot, no reason for a five section one in a quad amplifier. What looks like a fifth section must be a clutching assembly.

Attachments

• Akai Volume Control PC Board.pdf
    288.6 KB · Views: 91
Need to find a quad wizard. I took my akai 980 into a local shop. He's had it over a year and is stumped. He's replaced almost everything. One of the volume pots is leaking and he's stumped so I'm getting it back. So any ideas on a shop in midwest that can finish it ?
I work on vintage receivers, and specifically quad. I live in in a Midwest fly over state.

I have seen some pots with a lubricant and antioxidant mixture on the slider parts.

Checking the Operator's Manual, That pot has an outer ring that can be used to remember a previous setting. It quote "can be used as a memory setting for best balance according to music, or to quickly locate prior setting after the volume has been momentarily turned down". Sort of cool but rather unnecessary IMHO!

Service and operation manuals can be found here.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/as-980.shtml

Back