Air 10 000 Hz Legend (20th Anniversary with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos Mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have to order this! Sometimes a mediocre album(when in stereo) can be highly enjoyable in surround.
I think the limitation of stereo cannot adequately support the artistic intent of this album. I have never listened to the stereo mix and I reckon I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it too.- as others have commented pre-release. My advice to others is listen to the Atmos mix first to enable a judgment whether you like the material or not.

The weird thing is I will most likely be listening to the Atmos version. I have a 5.1 system with most likely no understanding of Atmos, but the Atmos version is much better that the 5.1. It is so much better the 5.1 might as well be mono.

Interesting - for me, the Atmos mix on Apple Music played through my 5.1 system sounds nearly identical to the DTS-HD 5.1 track on the disc. I suspect the 5.1 mix is really just a fold-down of the Atmos, as was done for Mr. Big's Lean Into It. In any case, the 5.1 sounds great with lots of discrete elements in the rears and center. The panning synth in "The Vagabond" moves all around the room, just as I'd hoped. I'm really glad this one got released on disc, with a dedicated 5.1 option to boot.

Interesting - for me, the Atmos mix on Apple Music played through my 5.1 system sounds nearly identical to the DTS-HD 5.1 track on the disc. I suspect the 5.1 mix is really just a fold-down of the Atmos, as was done for Mr. Big's Lean Into It. In any case, the 5.1 sounds great with lots of discrete elements in the rears and center. The panning synth in "The Vagabond" moves all around the room, just as I'd hoped. I'm really glad this one got released on disc, with a dedicated 5.1 option to boot.
I think I found the reason the versions sounded so different to me. I was using DVD-AE to transcode directly into ALAC. From what I could find, while FLAC always has the same channel assignments (L-R-C-LFE- LS-RS), ALAC has different options available. DVD-AE was coding R-C-L-RS-LFE-LS-RS, which did not agree with what Apple's Music App was expecting. There were occasions where some titles sounded strange, but I hadn't listened to the original recently enough to figure it out. Listening to the Nothing But the Truth rip the same day as the disc, made it very obvious what was wrong.

I've spent the last week re-ripping everything I added to the NAS in 2021, when I discovered the ALAC option in DVD-AE. That is more fun than humans should be aloud to have.

When I get back to this disc, I'll let you whether I still think the Atmos is better mix.

Below are the waveforms for Open Car from Arriving Somewhere. The left is the ALAC transcode, the right is the FLAC. Both done by DVD-AE.

1638581375518.png

Last edited:
My issue with the transcode was definitely the difference. The 5.1 mix is now much better than it was, The Atmos mix, folded down to 5.1 on my system is pretty much the same as the 5.1 mix. Either way, 5.1 or Atmos, I like when these songs pop up in the shuffle.

Good to see this Atmos mix is available on Tidal. I don't think I would purchase this, but I will definitely stream it!
Any tracks in particular that work well with Atmos? I've read in a post above about The Vagabond.

I'm pretty hooked on this disc at the moment. Does anyone else know if Bruce Keen and Gildas Lointier have done any other surround mixes? I really hope they're tapped to do more because they did a fantastic job on this.

I admit, the music won't be for everyone. It's pretty weird pop music at times but it was definitely a grower for me and now I can't stop playing it. Sex Born Poison is so weirdly beautiful in Atmos!

I noticed that in addition to Beck, Ken Andrews from Failure, Jason Falkner from Jellyfish, and Brian Reitzell from Redd Kross are on the album as well.

Oh, and Deep Discount has it for under $25 at the moment: Air 10 000 Hz Legend on DeepDiscount (I confirmed this is the 3 disc UPC)

Couldn't agree more Jonathan,
I listened to the Atmos yesterday, and well, the first thing that came to mind was, "wow, this is likely to be the best surround release of 2022".
Yes, in Atmos, it is that good. Even though it has that techno pop vibe, the songs are actually catchy at the same time.
The funny thing is I kind of stumbled on this release, great find.

Just arrived this morning, after listening on amazon prime I opted to buy it even though it’s not my normal type of music (i’m a prog and metal fan) but this is excellent and one of the best surround mixes i’ve ever heard, I couldn’t hear the atmos mix on amazon as I don’t have the necessary speaker for it. This could be my new late night listening go to album, there’s so much going on I wish I had a 9.1.4 system instead of 5.1.2 with upfiring atmos speakers, I can imagine how creepy it would be with 4 ceiling speakers. I got it at the bargain price of £17.99 from ebay including p & p, well worth it for anyone humming and hawing over buying it

Edit, after checking my ebay account I paid £16.99 for this so even better

Last edited:
Musically, I don't care for many of the tracks enough to purchase, but agree that the Atmos mix is killer - very fun to stream and a good demo for Apple Music.

Musically, I don't care for many of the tracks enough to purchase, but agree that the Atmos mix is killer - very fun to stream and a good demo for Apple Music.
Weirdly purchased on a whim, didn't think much of the first 4 tracks on the orig album, but the bonus CD sort of filled in the blanks

Can we expect a similar reissue of Moon Safari (with 5.1 & Atmos) in January 2023?
https://www.avclub.com/jb-jean-benoit-dunckel-air-interview-carbon-moon-safari-1849100118
Recently you released a deluxe version of 10,000 Hz. Are there any plans to release any other older albums in deluxe editions?
Yes, there will be Moon Safari, because it’s going to be the 25-year anniversary of Moon Safari. I just got the new mastering. It’s going to be released, I don’t know how, and I don’t know when—probably at the end of the year, maybe January, because Moon Safari was released in January 1998.

Back