Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listened to a couple of tracks from ‘Pure Heroine’. Seemed to me to be vastly superior to ‘Solar Power’. IIRC she won a grammy for the earlier incarnation.

I mean I get the desire for a dedicated streaming thread, but doesn't it still belong in the Atmos forum?
Maybe @timbre4 could move it? (Thread clean-up responsibility seems to have fallen largely on him lately....)

As for the larger debate over whether we need a separate, dedicated thread for streaming Atmos (and/or other multichannel streaming formats): in my OCD heart, I've always wished that the various "Listening" threads could be rationalized/organized/tidied a bit so that they were easier to search and find--if, for instance, they were turned into sticky/spotlighted threads, all beginning with the same phrase ("Listening Now..."), and all asking posters to follow some common conventions about specifying source, format, etc.

Right now if you search "listening now" you get sort of a dog's breakfast of results, some of them active threads, some not, some overlapping, some very specific, some rather broad. And that search still doesn't turn up the "Listening to this Upmix" thread, or the "What Concert Are You Watching" thread. (I'm sure there are others I'm overlooking...because I don't know how to search for them!)

To add to the confusion: some people--I know I'm guilty, especially when it comes to the streaming services--also use the "Listening" threads to post new arrivals or new discoveries. That's sort of analogous to the old "What's Your Latest" threads--but there's a confusing number of those (with inconsistencies in nomenclature), too.

Last edited:
The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album 🎅🎄

1280x1280-6.jpg

Apple Music - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
Tidal - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album

This sounds pretty good! A lot better then I was expecting for an album from 1964. Hopefully a precursor to a full on Pet Sounds Atmos remix?!

Continuing the Christmas theme... Macca makes his Dolby Atmos debut?

Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime

1280x1280-7.jpg

Apple Music - Wonderful Christmastime
Tidal - Wonderful Christmastime

Nice mix with sleigh bells in the rear channels. I'll have to dig out the old 5.1 video DVD to compare. Immersive mix credited to Giles Martin/Steve Orchard

i tried this out on Tidal a week or so ago, from what i can remember the Johnny Mathis duet had each of them in their own channel (i.e. one of 'em singing in the L & the other diamond geezer over in the R! 😋 ) which i enjoyed but most of the others had it all kinda lumped in the Centre, which was a bit.. lumpy dumpy!

ah idk i'm getting a bit wearisome with all the technical balls-up's of this streaming shite, playing the Oneohtrix Atmos in Apple Music atm, the Surround-y-ness is really really f'in' good -- but some tracks aren't loading up at all and one just stopped midway for no reason. ugh. a few Kinks to iron out and not a Waterloo Sunset in sight!

i tried this out on Tidal a week or so ago, from what i can remember the Johnny Mathis duet had each of them in their own channel (i.e. one of 'em singing in the L & the other diamond geezer over in the R! 😋 ) which i enjoyed but most of the others had it all kinda lumped in the Centre, which was a bit.. lumpy dumpy!

ah idk i'm getting a bit wearisome with all the technical balls-up's of this streaming shite, playing the Oneohtrix Atmos in Apple Music atm, the Surround-y-ness is really really f'in' good -- but some tracks aren't loading up at all and one just stopped midway for no reason. ugh. a few Kinks to iron out and not a Waterloo Sunset in sight!
It can be a Hobsons Choice, Adam, for the quality of the Atmos mixes.

I hear what you're saying...

Luckily, we have our fellow members to thank, for giving us a heads up into what is good or not, in this wonderful new world of streaming in surround.

Personally, not withstanding the wide range of mixing skills on show, I'm very happy to hear all of these releases in surround.

I never thought I would see the day, when we are inundated with an incredible collection of surround releases. I know they are not up to the quality of physical releases but some ain't that far off.

Still early days Adam....I share you're frustration, as I'm not the most patient man in the world but I have to pinch myself every day to make sure this is not a dream.

The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album 🎅🎄

View attachment 74054

Apple Music - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album
Tidal - The Beach Boys' Christmas Album

This sounds pretty good! A lot better then I was expecting for an album from 1964. Hopefully a precursor to a full on Pet Sounds Atmos remix?!
Who would have thought that the Atmos mixing engineer could work miracles with this 1964 release, Will...bring on the Beach Boys full repertoire!! Especially my personal favourites, the albums Sunflower and Surfs Up.

I just upgraded my system with some Atmos speakers, and I honestly do not understand all this Atmos streaming on Tidal/Apple. Surely these are just upmixes, right? No one suddenly sat down and laboriously remixed so many songs, in surround let alone Atmos. Anyways, listened on Tidal and it sounded pretty bad. Seems to be a consensus on other sites, everything is too quiet and the mixes are meh at best; I'm honestly surprised anyone on this site bothers (what with the calibre of listeners we have here ;)).
I did listen to The Future Bites and Abbey Road on Blu-Ray and those were quite good. Just not sure I understand the streaming bit.

I just upgraded my system with some Atmos speakers, and I honestly do not understand all this Atmos streaming on Tidal/Apple. Surely these are just upmixes, right? No one suddenly sat down and laboriously remixed so many songs, in surround let alone Atmos. Anyways, listened on Tidal and it sounded pretty bad. Seems to be a consensus on other sites, everything is too quiet and the mixes are meh at best; I'm honestly surprised anyone on this site bothers (what with the calibre of listeners we have here ;)).
I did listen to The Future Bites and Abbey Road on Blu-Ray and those were quite good. Just not sure I understand the streaming bit.
As far as we know, these are not simple upmixes. Dolby contracted a bunch of engineers and had them mix a couple thousand tracks in Atmos, which explains the scattershot approach to the back catalog (5 Queen songs, misc Motown, a couple Doors songs, just Rocketman from Elton John, and so on and so forth). Tidal actually lets you check on the mixing engineer on a lot of tracks if you're curious.

The Atmos tracks on Tidal are way too quiet, which has been a problem since the beginning, but that is a Tidal problem, not an Atmos problem.

The Future Bits and Abbey Road tracks on Apple Music are the same mixes as the Blu-rays, just at lower bitrates. This bothers some people a lot, others not so much. I echo everything Beerking said a couple posts up. In the long-term I think this is a good thing for the survival of surround formats and enjoy sampling a lot of surround music that I never would have tried before.

They are not upmixes. There is a lot of surround mixing investment in Atmos at the moment. I have Abbey Road on disc and streaming. My opinion is that it is pretty meh on either formats- and I have heard far more discrete mixes on streaming. I don’t know what other sites you are reading, but I know that they would not have the expansive exposure to all surround content and experience of surround listening as here. As for Tidal you are right on the volume issue. I am seriously considering dropping it as a platform as the are no longer listing Atmos tracks on their start-up screen which makes the Search for titles near impossible without this forum.

Back