Music streaming on Apple Music in 5.1 (Dolby Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tellin' ya, Apple is still in a battle for MS Windows users - ugh!!!
Can you play Atmos from Apple Music on a Windows computer? If not, I can understand why it doesn't show it.
Everything in the Apple world seems to be way more expensive than it needs to be, I suppose they have to pay for all that marketing somehow :LOL:

Is there an Apple OS Virtual Machine available to run on Windows?

I think it is only a matter of time (not a long time) that these albums (70s Quad mixes) start appearing on TIDAL and Spotify as well. I can't imagine Sony giving Apple an exclusive on those mixes for more than six months or a year tops. I can see an exclusive (for Apple) for a short period of time.

So those that are waiting for a non-apple playback option will not have to wait forever.

I personally don't want to wait forever. But then again, I'm not paying top dollar for a new Apple TV just yet either. That is unless "Rocks" shows up, or Waylon and Dolly or some other RCA quad not previously out on SACD, I can wait until after the Christmas sale or whatever.

It does appear that the AF quad SACD reissued material from Sony is coming out on Apple rather quickly now.

But I am still thrilled that so much of this new quad arriving stuff is fresh exclusive titles we've been waiting for.

"Wired" was surprising to see appear - even if it was out on Japan 7". I would have expected Sony to hold off on that one for another year or so.

Can't wait for Warner to provide some titles from the WB, Atlantic, and Elektra catalogs.

Or is it because the other recordings (not derived from multichannel originals) are created by an automatic, non-editorial process without engineers?

Some may be, but I think for the most part we are still seeing creative mixes. As the push comes for "everything" to be in Atmos there will likely be more automation unfortunately.

Everything in the Apple world seems to be way more expensive than it needs to be, I suppose they have to pay for all that marketing somehow :LOL:

Another way to look at it is that because of what they charge for their products they were able to create the infrastructure and relationships to bring us what is probably the biggest 3 month release of quad/5.1/Atmos content in our lifetimes.

I'm kind of glad I've been supporting it now.

There have been many posts to the opposite on various forums but they're hard to corroborate.

I'm sure it depends on what you listen to. Steven Wilson, R.E.M., etc. in my area of interest are more likely to be actually creative Atmos mixes. New pop/rap releases, maybe not so much. But once again, this thread is not at all about Dolby Atmos so please take that discussion elsewhere.

I'm sure it depends on what you listen to. Steven Wilson, R.E.M., etc. in my area of interest are more likely to be actually creative Atmos mixes. New pop/rap releases, maybe not so much. But once again, this thread is not at all about Dolby Atmos so please take that discussion elsewhere.
OK. I have no other interest in Apple Music.

I think it is only a matter of time (not a long time) that these albums (70s Quad mixes) start appearing on TIDAL and Spotify as well. I can't imagine Sony giving Apple an exclusive on those mixes for more than six months or a year tops. I can see an exclusive (for Apple) for a short period of time.

So those that are waiting for a non-apple playback option will not have to wait forever.

I personally don't want to wait forever. But then again, I'm not paying top dollar for a new Apple TV just yet either. That is unless "Rocks" shows up, or Waylon and Dolly or some other RCA quad not previously out on SACD, I can wait until after the Christmas sale or whatever.
Already lots of Dolly (and Porter & Dolly) as quad 360 RA on Tidal, so I would expect to see those albums soon in Dolby Audio.

Is there an Apple OS Virtual Machine available to run on Windows?
A long time ago, when Apple still sold servers and produced a specific version of macOS called Mac OS X Server, you could legally run that in a virtual machine (assuming you bought the OS). Today, I don't think it's legal to run macOS in a virtual machine, and therefore probably not possible using off-the-shelf virtual machine software from the big companies. I'm sure it's technically possible—after all, people have been building hackintoshes for years now—but good luck making it work.

I’ve tried many of the songs suggested here, but It seems I have trouble getting sound in 5.1 or 4.0 from Apple Music (I can’t play Atmos). I only get sound from the front speakers so far. The thing is: Apple TV and other apps in my Apple TV— work fine with 5.1 otherwise, so it seems to be a specific problem with Apple Music. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Last edited:
I’ve tried many of the songs suggested here, but It seems I have trouble getting sound in 5.1 or 4.0 from Apple Music (I can’t play Atmos). I only get sound from the front speakers so far. The thing is: Apple TV and other apps in my Apple TV— work fine with 5.1 otherwise, so it seems to be a specific problem with Apple Music. Any suggestions on where to start looking?
What version is your ATV 4k software??

Back