Beatles "Let It Be" (5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes out in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part 1 was amazing. I had to stop reading the posts here because of the spoilers. Much better than I ever imagined. Looking forward to part 2. Listening to the Abbey Road songs in their infancy is so cool! The time restraint makes it exciting.

A few random observations:

* I absolutely enjoyed this, but when it was over, it drove home the feeling that our world is a poorer place without John Lennon and George Harrison.

* It was fun seeing a thin, beard-less Alan Parsons.

* It helped having captions on because some of the conversations would've been hard for me to follow otherwise. I know I would've missed some important exchanges had I not enabled captioning and I would've missed so many of Lennon's verbal zingers.

* It helped having captions on because some of the conversations would've been hard for me to follow otherwise. I know I would've missed some important exchanges had I not enabled captioning and I would've missed so many of Lennon's verbal zingers

And it is difficult to understand everything with local dialects involved. If it isn’t the BBC news, I find myself needing the crutch of subtitles.

Oh, and my wife is also from New Mexico. On a few occasions, we’ve had difficulty understanding what the other was saying:

AR: “Honey, where are the pins?”
Mrs Surround: “They’re in the cup on your night stand.”
AR: “There are no pins in there”
Mrs Surround: “There are at least a half dozen of them!”
AR (scratching my head): I said P-I-N, not P-E-N !!!

Yes, I was wondering how quickly someone would pick up on the four speakers on the wall thing in episode 2. That was real interesting.
My guess about the four speakers in the control room is that it is two sets of stereo speakers. Earlier, when they talked about bringing in the recording gear, they said they had to strap together two 4-track consoles to work with George's 8-track recorder. So I'm thinking that each console has its own set of stereo speakers. It was funny during playback someone said 'this is how it will sound in stereo' or something like that. :)

What fascinated me was George's frustration with not being treated as an equal.
…..
Yes, this was a great insight into George. I interpreted his behavior/frustration differently. It wasn’t that he was “not being treated as an equal” by others, although that might have contributed. To me, it was more that George saw himself as lesser. Example: in episode 1 he talked about Clapton’s ability to play a meandering solo and bring it back to the main theme to close it out. George admitted he had no ability to do such a thing. He was insecure. This surprised me.

It really is quite amazing that, after seeing George this way, somewhat insecure and doubting his talents, that later the same year he puts "Something" and "Here Comes The Sun" together, and the band (with George Martin and all his wonderful production value) knocks out Abbey Road!!
I think it goes to that he knew he was being filmed and also admitted that he wasn't very good at improvising on the spot.

Yes, this was a great insight into George. I interpreted his behavior/frustration differently. It wasn’t that he was “not being treated as an equal” by others, although that might have contributed. To me, it was more that George saw himself as lesser. Example: in episode 1 he talked about Clapton’s ability to play a meandering solo and bring it back to the main theme to close it out. George admitted he had no ability to do such a thing. He was insecure. This surprised me.
It really is quite amazing that, after seeing George this way, somewhat insecure and doubting his talents, that later the same year he puts "Something" and "Here Comes The Sun" together, and the band (with George Martin and all his wonderful production value) knocks out Abbey Road!!
I think it goes to that he knew he was being filmed and also admitted that he wasn't very good at improvising on the spot.

Yeah, some of George's statements in episode 1 were a total shock to me...He seemed so insecure. Paul met George when they were pretty young, but Paul was older. John was even older at more than 2 years George's senior. Those are big age differences when boys are that young, and there are potentially even greater differences in maturity. I this video, it seemed that George in many ways was still treated as the "baby" in the Beatles family.

Watching the documentary got be liking these tunes again after not giving them many listens over the past 30 years. In doing so, I am appreciating the 5.1 mix even more. It's really damn good! I think they did a terrific job with these tunes and probably will rank this right up there with the best Beatles 5.1 out there.

one thing I found fascinating was the amount of middle aged folks who were at street level during the rooftop gig who liked the Beatles; of course there was always the occasional cranky old person who disapproved...and that young guy who said he DID NOT like the Beatles cause "they had changed too much(!)"...I guess he did not get enough booty!

one thing I found fascinating was the amount of middle aged folks who were at street level during the rooftop gig who liked the Beatles; of course there was always the occasional cranky old person who disapproved...and that young guy who said he DID NOT like the Beatles cause "they had changed too much(!)"...I guess he did not get enough booty!
He’s a real square, man.

What cracked me up a bit was the muted reactions. First time the Beatles played in public in years and people were like, yes, it’s quite nice. These people seemingly had no clue how significant that moment was!

He’s a real square, man.

What cracked me up a bit was the muted reactions. First time the Beatles played in public in years and people were like, yes, it’s quite nice. These people seemingly had no clue how significant that moment was!

I agree and made the same observation. All the people on the streets seemed to be, at most, casual Beatle fans. None of them seemed to be that into The Beatles or even music at all. From their reactions you'd think that a roof concert occurred every other week. I would have been so excited I'd have made a fool out of myself on camera.

One other thought. When it was first announced that this was going to be streamed on Disney+ instead of shown at the theater, I was disappointed. In reality though we got to see at least 6 hours more footage than we could have ever gotten at a theater. Could you imagine a 9 hour movie at the theater,,, well I guess it isn't that hard to imagine.... if you try.

Could you imagine a 9 hour movie at the theater,,, well I guess it isn't that hard to imagine.... if you try.
Given it's really one movie split into three parts, The Lord of the Rings fans don't need to imagine. They've already done it. All three flics one after the other, e.g. start 11am, finish 9.30pm, with two half-hour meal breaks:
OLD LISTING! THE LORD OF THE RINGS EXTENDED TRILOGY ALL DAY MARATHON | Orpheum Cinemas

And they're off to do it again next Saturday, with "bottomless" popcorn for $5. And because it's Australia (recently cited as the "heaviest drinkers in the world after spending more time drunk in 2020 than any other nation") there's an all-day bar:
The Lord Of The Rings - Full Trilogy Screening
Cheers from Oz. 🍻

You guys are killing me. I would absolutely be awe-struck with every single minute of this show. I really would. :cry:
So what’s stopping you from getting DISNEY+ for a month? I don’t get it? If you don’t like what DISNEY now stands for, just bite your tongue and watch it then unsubscribe

So what’s stopping you from getting DISNEY+ for a month? I don’t get it? If you don’t like what DISNEY now stands for, just bite your tongue and watch it then unsubscribe
That's exactly what I did. And I still have time to watch it again before my subscription runs out. 🥃 🥃:p

Back