Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of weeks ago this thread descended into insults and name calling and one of the mods had to delete dozens of message and issue a temporary ban to one member as a result.

After a cool-down period I've re-opened this thread, but it's going to be on a short leash - if a similar situation erupts we'll probably just delete the thread and start a new one, even though a lot of collective knowledge would be lost as a result.

Before posting, please try and remember that we're in a period of unprecedented global stress and uncertainty that we haven't seen the like of in this lifetime. It's easy to let that edginess creep into your posts if you're not careful (I'm as guilty of this as anyone) and while I think collectively we've been really good about being positive to one another, this thread is a reminder that we still need to be vigilant. We come from a variety of backgrounds and have a variety of beliefs, but the one thing we definitely have in common is we all love music, especially in surround. Try and focus on what we have in common rather than what we don't.

Also please try and remember that the mods are just volunteers that do this work in their spare time, and some of them get particularly grumpy when they have to resolve disputes between people who should be old enough to know better. Thanks!

If you like wackadoodle surround mixes, Magic Oneohtrix Point Never dropped in Atmos on Apple Music today. Only problem is some of the tracks are borked and play only silence. The ones that work, though, are some of the most playful surround mixes I’ve heard.

If you like wackadoodle surround mixes, Magic Oneohtrix Point Never dropped in Atmos on Apple Music today. Only problem is some of the tracks are borked and play only silence. The ones that work, though, are some of the most playful surround mixes I’ve heard.

yes i found that too, great mixes but some playback issues unfortunately marred the experience. hopefully it will be rectified soon 🤞

How does Apple Music handle playback of an Atmos track on a Stereo-only system?

A) downmix the Atmos mix to stereo (somewhere in the pipe)
B) play the associated true stereo mix of the same song from its library (preferred solution)
C) something else…

Background: I have Atmos in the basement, but Stereo-only in the living room. My playlists are a mix of Lossless, Atmos, and Dolby Audio. This of course is fine on the Atmos-capable system, but I’m wondering if I’m hearing an Atmos down-mix on the Stereo-only setup.

B) play the associated true stereo mix of the same song from its library (preferred solution)
C) something else…

Background: I have Atmos in the basement, but Stereo-only in the living room. My playlists are a mix of Lossless, Atmos, and Dolby Audio. This of course is fine on the Atmos-capable system, but I’m wondering if I’m hearing an Atmos down-mix on the Stereo-only setup.

I believe the most effective way to guarantee you are getting the true stereo mix is to turn off Dolby Atmos in the settings on Apple Music and Apple TV4k.

C) something else…

Pretty sure it won't even offer Dolby Atmos, but you can turn it off in the settings if it is there for some reason. You should get the Stereo mix.

The way it seems to work on my end, at least for *downloaded* tracks onto my phone, is that if you go into settings and toggle it to download Atmos Tracks, it downloads the Atmos track, and a fallback lossy stereo track. However, it doesn’t actually tell you if this is really the lossy stereo track so it may be folded down somewhere.

You can toggle between 3 states for Atmos playback:

Automatic - which will kick in for AirPods 3, Pro, and (the best effect) Max, as well as other Beats line headphones that have the AirPod tech in them. It also kicks on for standard built in phone speaker play, as they have put that faux surround stuff in the speakers. Doesn’t really work imo, though I don’t have the Pro Max version of this phone (iPhone 11) which did have “Dolby Atmos” as a selling point, weirdly announced during the camera bit?

Always On - Plays Atmos mix no matter what. This allows the binaural “spatial audio” layer to work on any headphones. It also sounds a bit off coming out of my car’s (2019 Subaru Legacy) CarPlay, and sometimes on HomePod mini’s.

Off - Self explanatory.

In terms of the Apple TV, a similar off setting exists, and I believe in the Audio Settings there’s a way to default to stereo. I assume if you toggle Atmos off or set to stereo, it should play the Lossless version, as every Atmos album I’ve seen also has a lossless stereo version uploaded as well.

I believe the most effective way to guarantee you are getting the true stereo mix is to turn off Dolby Atmos in the settings on Apple Music and Apple TV4k.
i agree, that’s how it should work, perhaps I need to ask Apple support to confirm.

Experimenting, it seems that since the DAC I’m connecting to is stereo-only, the Atmos option does not even appear in the Apple TV 4K settings. (FYI this is the latest Apple TV 4K version HW/SW)

Still to be confirmed: If I play a track from my Atmos playlist, will Apple feed me a “true” stereo mix, or is Apple sending a down converted multichannel mix.

Pretty sure it won't even offer Dolby Atmos, but you can turn it off in the settings if it is there for some reason. You should get the Stereo mix.
You are correct, it does not offer Atmos. But I’m playing from a playlist consisting of Atmos-capable titles.

Trying to confirm I’m getting a true stereo mix in this use case.

…..In terms of the Apple TV, a similar off setting exists, and I believe in the Audio Settings there’s a way to default to stereo. I assume if you toggle Atmos off or set to stereo, it should play the Lossless version, as every Atmos album I’ve seen also has a lossless stereo version uploaded as well.

Yes. Apple TT 4K Auto seems to default to stereo in my use case. No Atmos or multichannel options are offered.

Still to be confirmed: If I play a track from my Atmos playlist, will Apple feed me a “true” stereo mix, or is Apple sending a down converted multichannel mix.
Your getting the lossless stereo mix not the down-mix. The downmix would be when using Atmos "enabled" headphones or those air pod things.

I actually don't understand making Atmos versions of demos/out takes, raw studio recordings, etc.). Isn't the point to hear the raw unprocessed works in progress, why should we hear them each interpreted with different surround instrument placements, etc.

I like Take 11 the best of How Do You Sleep? so this goes to show that the final version is not always the best one IMO.

Take 1 is good also, see what I'm getting at?

Take 5&6, not bad either.

Before modern today, every demo was of a "lessor" quality, ie stereo (or mono) of every demo song on the planet so converting every demo song to atmos allows us to decide which version we think is the best, because, I hate to say it, but it's a bit of a moving target as you age and become more sophisticated (or less) at listening to music.

Edit: so I'm listening to Imagine (Evolution Documentary) in ATMOS on this disc and it's incredible to hear how this song evolved (and Ringo taking credit for it lol) so this is exactly why Atmos'ing everything is the only true way to compare demos and outakes to the final released version in Atmos.

Listening to a final STEREO version compared to all the demo and outtake versions in Atmos would be equally as guilty, right?

Listening to all 61 songs in atmos with all the pipe-ins (courtesy of Atmos) from the fab 4 is like watching Peter Jackson's documentary Get Back, just in pure audio

Without atmos'ing everything you would have never heard, and would have never known, nor would I:eek:

I have a rare Johnny Cash Stereo Box Set from Germany that has prolly 61 songs like this set, but the fact that this set is atmos'ed makes this set infinitely World's Beyond the Cash stereo set.

50 year old Beatles, 61 Songs, in Atmos, what the hell is anyone complaining about?

Last edited:

C) something else…

The Atmos codec has a data bed of 2.0, 5.1 and 7.1. Different configurations about those are handled by the decoder and processor. Atmos is object based surround, a bit different than regular codecs

Back