SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the Tacet physical media is sold through JPC.de Anyone have experiences to report , buying from them?

I've bought Tacet discs and many other things (including box sets) from jpc. Great prices--you'll notice they go down after you enter your US shipping address; that's when they deduct VAT--and very fast/cheap/secure shipping.

All in mono/stereo though.

With of course this Zenph recreation originally recorded in 1955 of Bach's Goldberg Variations. Even forgot I had this one:

81RU601X1uL._SL1065_.jpg

I love the idea of the Zenph re recordings. The process probably has great potential. I think I first heard about it around ten or fifteen years ago on NPR and I think they were talking about some other even older pianist than Glenn Gould. I guess that is another catalog of stuff to look up.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10439850

Last edited:
I love the idea of the Zenph re recordings. The process probably has great potential. I think I first heard about it around ten or fifteen years ago on NPR and I think they were talking about some other even older pianist than Glenn Gould. I guess that is another catalog of stuff to look up.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND both of these Zenph re~performances, Gene. As the blurb on the back of the discs states: It's Just like BEING THERE!

Jakub Hrusa and the Bamberg Symphony’s pioneering project to record all three versions of Bruckner’s 4th Symphony for Accentus was reviewed in depth on Radio 3’s Record Review a couple of months ago. The release of the CDs was delayed slightly and so I’ve only just got my box set-

Bruckner 4x3.JPG

It is absolutely fascinating, the differences between the rarely heard first and the second versions are particularly striking. Fine performances too. Highly recommended for anyone with any interest in Bruckner. If you want to learn more about the project –

Bruckner 3x4 Accentus Music NYTimes

Yeah there seems to have been a short handful of piano only projects. They were talking about doing something with classical guitar too which I was quite interested in. I think the process was picked up by Steinway because that seems to be where links lead to now. They have produced some disks and sell very spensive player Grands.

Of course now there probably is an app that you can feed old 78s and LP rips into and have a midi file output. Probably an app for your phone.

I still would be interested in giving a listen to such things.

Per above I bought the Glenn Gould zenph reperformance and it sounds good but not much of a surround mix. Haven't tried the headphone mix yet.
I never heard the original 1955 performance and would like to compare.

But conceptually something bothers me about doing this kind of like the upcoming Abba concert where you will see their filmed avatars as they were when young. But they won't actually be there.
Perhaps this is the way of the future.

I have noticed a lot of things similar to the Abba concert mentioned above. Classic rock songs supposedly with video on Yoooohooohooo toob.
But you recognize that it's really the regular studio version and somebody at a workstation synced some video or even film with it. Close enough for government work. But pretty easy to notice.

There have been LPs and CDs previously of player piano rolls that were "recorded" by famous pianists. I have always found these curiousities worth giving a listen. I also have a tendency to collect CD compendia made from 78s of famous artists like the young Jascha Heifetz, 78s of Enrico Caruso and others. Some of these sound so amazingly good you wonder what kind of software and EQ they went through.

Back