Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, from rainy Cumbria.

After a couple of false starts, I finally added a pair of surround speakers to my stereo hifi last week.

Been accumulating surround music for the past couple of years so I've got plenty to go at.

Surround speakers and surround source don't quite match up to my stereo set up sound quality wise, but the extra dimension makes up for that.

After a couple of false starts, I finally added a pair of surround speakers to my stereo hifi last week.

Been accumulating surround music for the past couple of years so I've got plenty to go at.

Surround speakers and surround source don't quite match up to my stereo set up sound quality wise, but the extra dimension makes up for that.
Welcome. Best Forum out there, enjoy.

Hi I'm Tad. I'm musician and in the past year I've been composing live electronic music in quad. Because of the lack of reasonably-priced post-production for spatial music I've been exploring that side of things as well, heh. Here's a quadraphonic EP that I just released that was encoded using Cykik QUARK. While it's fairly experimental, I think there's some interesting things happening spatially. Hope you enjoy ZI7III, by t4mber rec4ll

Hel
Hi I'm Tad. I'm musician and in the past year I've been composing live electronic music in quad. Because of the lack of reasonably-priced post-production for spatial music I've been exploring that side of things as well, heh. Here's a quadraphonic EP that I just released that was encoded using Cykik QUARK. While it's fairly experimental, I think there's some interesting things happening spatially. Hope you enjoy ZI7III, by t4mber rec4ll

Welcome aboard!
I like some electronic music. IMHO the last Floating Points is one of the best albums released in 2021.

Cool, I like your stuff Tad!...welcome to the Forum!

Heya Newton & Tad - Welcome aboard QQ and super happy to have ya here. Make sure to post and ask any questions you might have. I swear none of the people here will bite. :unsure: Well, maybe that Snood guy, but he kinda loopy :LB

From one Cumbria dweller to another, I welcome thee to the forum

sk7LLs is straight up a vibe, glad to have ya here!

Welcome in Tad; I'd like to know your system, as to how you encode the QUARK please- thanks?

Hey J. I record live performances from a modular synth into an Apollo x8p. I then use the standard QUARK setup (from the link) in Ableton Live to monitor the encode and encode-decode. There can be artifacts when listening to the encoded audio in stereo, so checking back and forth is important in post. My studio is setup with quad Genelec 8320s and a 7350 sub. Im finding the GLM calibration to be much more critical/dramatic for quad monitoring than stereo. Hope that’s useful.

Are you making quad music?

https://quark.cykik.com/instructional-videos/

Hey J. I record live performances from a modular synth into an Apollo x8p. I then use the standard QUARK setup (from the link) in Ableton Live to monitor the encode and encode-decode. There can be artifacts when listening to the encoded audio in stereo, so checking back and forth is important in post. My studio is setup with quad Genelec 8320s and a 7350 sub. Im finding the GLM calibration to be much more critical/dramatic for quad monitoring than stereo. Hope that’s useful.

Are you making quad music?

https://quark.cykik.com/instructional-videos/
Thanks for the info, looks like you've got a pretty nice set-up there!

I am not making music; I've played guitar now for nearly 50 years, just not professionally (let's just say my timing is off -LOL)

Hello newbie here,

I have lurked for a ages but am bursting with questions so decided to join in.

History:
Loved hard rock/metal for 40+ years. But stopped buying physical media in late 90s. Still have about 100 of my old LPs and my old cheapish turntable. I am not an audiophile per se and don't have huge amounts of cash.

About 3yrs ago I had a pay increase and decided to purchase the huge set of mp3 I had as physical CDs - and get CDs for any LPs that I didn't have on CD. So now I have about 1500 of them. Now about 10yrs ago I met a surround engineer and was given a couple of DVD-As but didn't really listen to them much back then and the player I had broke years ago. So while buying the CDs I remembered the DVD-As and decided to build a surround system.

I already had a pioneer amp that did 5.1 surround but it had no pre amp inputs. So I bought an old DENON DVD player off ebay that played SACD/DVD-A's for £50 and I also bought a faulty Onkyo 606 off ebay for £50 and replaced the capacitors to get it working again. I then replaced my front speakers with a pair of yamaha floorstanding speakers that were cosmetically damaged and bought an old Mourdant Short centre speaker for £35. I had existing small Pioneer surround speakers already and currently I haven't added a subwoofer as this is all only in the spare bedroom and the floor speakers have reasonable base.

So during my purchases I checked to see what I could buy in surround. I probably now have about 150 albums/concerts in surround.

As I have spent most of my life listening to tapes then mp3/flac I am not the sort that wants to put albums or a turntable or even put on a CD. I want my stuff on my phone and want to access to all my albums or videos via network or external hard drive. So I did a lot of digging/research to be able to rip to FLAC and/or MKV all my music from Bluray, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD. I used Foobar and a PC to send to Onkyo.

After research I decided to buy a Sony X800 which gave me cover for playing SACD/DVDA but would also play all my rips from either an external hard drive or my Buffalo NAS drives including multichannel. Removing the need to turn on PC and mess about to play files.

Now:
So currently I have a 5.0 system and ability to play all my collection from rips via network NAS.
But I am at a crossroads.....ATMOS is calling me. My ONKYO owes me nothing although I'll be sad to decommissioning it.
I have a few ATMOS blurays and I am looking at what I can do to upgrade. Probably need a new AV Amp and two upfiring speakers.

Looking for an AV Amp that does ATMOS but it needs to still plays my multichannel FLAC, DSD and MKV files.
I think MakeMKV rips ATMOS?

Researching Denon ARVX2700 but spec doesn't say it will play multichannel FLAC. Most specs don't say this clearly and it's a lot of money to get it wrong.

Oh PS
......if you had a CD that also had a multichannel DVD-V with it. Would you rip the CD or the DVD-V for the stereo version?
The DVD-V is lossy I know so is the CD better quality?

Cheers

Oh PS
......if you had a CD that also had a multichannel DVD-V with it. Would you rip the CD or the DVD-V for the stereo version?
Welcome to QQ.

A lot of the DVD-V with multi-channel lossy 'layers' also have a lossless 24-bit PCM stereo 'layer' on the disc, so I'd rip the stereo from the DVD - thats what I have been doing.

Welcome to QQ.

A lot of the DVD-V with multi-channel lossy 'layers' also have a lossless 24-bit PCM stereo 'layer' on the disc, so I'd rip the stereo from the DVD - thats what I have been doing.

Hi Duncan,

Just mounted a couple of ISO DVD-V s.

One has RAW/PCM 24/48 but the other is AC3 224kbps, 48khz.
Is AC3 better than the CD rip?

Hi Duncan,

Just mounted a couple of ISO DVD-V s.

One has RAW/PCM 24/48 but the other is AC3 224kbps, 48khz.
Is AC3 better than the CD rip?
I don't think its a one size fits all. I would usually go for the CD as its lossless (but 16-bit), but its worth listening to the AC3 stereo and picking the one you prefer, some sound better than the CD.

Hello newbie here,

I have lurked for a ages but am bursting with questions so decided to join in.

History:
Loved hard rock/metal for 40+ years. But stopped buying physical media in late 90s. Still have about 100 of my old LPs and my old cheapish turntable. I am not an audiophile per se and don't have huge amounts of cash.

About 3yrs ago I had a pay increase and decided to purchase the huge set of mp3 I had as physical CDs - and get CDs for any LPs that I didn't have on CD. So now I have about 1500 of them. Now about 10yrs ago I met a surround engineer and was given a couple of DVD-As but didn't really listen to them much back then and the player I had broke years ago. So while buying the CDs I remembered the DVD-As and decided to build a surround system.

I already had a pioneer amp that did 5.1 surround but it had no pre amp inputs. So I bought an old DENON DVD player off ebay that played SACD/DVD-A's for £50 and I also bought a faulty Onkyo 606 off ebay for £50 and replaced the capacitors to get it working again. I then replaced my front speakers with a pair of yamaha floorstanding speakers that were cosmetically damaged and bought an old Mourdant Short centre speaker for £35. I had existing small Pioneer surround speakers already and currently I haven't added a subwoofer as this is all only in the spare bedroom and the floor speakers have reasonable base.

So during my purchases I checked to see what I could buy in surround. I probably now have about 150 albums/concerts in surround.

As I have spent most of my life listening to tapes then mp3/flac I am not the sort that wants to put albums or a turntable or even put on a CD. I want my stuff on my phone and want to access to all my albums or videos via network or external hard drive. So I did a lot of digging/research to be able to rip to FLAC and/or MKV all my music from Bluray, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD. I used Foobar and a PC to send to Onkyo.

After research I decided to buy a Sony X800 which gave me cover for playing SACD/DVDA but would also play all my rips from either an external hard drive or my Buffalo NAS drives including multichannel. Removing the need to turn on PC and mess about to play files.

Now:
So currently I have a 5.0 system and ability to play all my collection from rips via network NAS.
But I am at a crossroads.....ATMOS is calling me. My ONKYO owes me nothing although I'll be sad to decommissioning it.
I have a few ATMOS blurays and I am looking at what I can do to upgrade. Probably need a new AV Amp and two upfiring speakers.

Looking for an AV Amp that does ATMOS but it needs to still plays my multichannel FLAC, DSD and MKV files.
I think MakeMKV rips ATMOS?

Researching Denon ARVX2700 but spec doesn't say it will play multichannel FLAC. Most specs don't say this clearly and it's a lot of money to get it wrong.

Oh PS

Cheers
Welcome, new custo- I mean member!

Welcome, new custo- I mean member!

Yep I am a cash cow.

BTW to anyone....if my Sony X800 plays a multichannel FLAC or multichannel DSD file out on it's HDMI then should any 5.1 or above receiver be able to play it?
I'm guessing the Sony makes a PCM signal to output does it?

Is there a better method of extracting DVD-A, DVD-V into files than the FLAC I have been making?
Sorry if there is a better part of the forum for my questions.

Back